Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounded Volumes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
digrx
3052 Views, 10 Replies

Bounded Volumes

How do I get a bounded volume betwenn 2 surfaces without creating another comparison surface?

C3D 2010

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
NathanBee
in reply to: digrx

Creating a TIN volume surface is the easiest way.

Another way is to create a boundary by polyline, apply it to both the surfaces and then run Surfaces --> Volumes, but this is more work the just running Bounded Volumes IMO.

Nathan

Message 3 of 11
mathewkol

In addition to Nathan's reply...and to be short...You Can't.  That TIN Volume Surface (comparison surface) is required for bounded volumes.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 11
digrx
in reply to: mathewkol

Seams kind of stupid. I'm ending up with way more surfaces that I need to calculate quantities on subsurface stratas which sometimes occur in varying protions of the site. I'm having to make models for each area.

I migrated from eagle point and this was as simple as drawing a closed polyline and selecting the 2 surfaces.

Message 5 of 11
Joe-Bouza

what exactly are you modeling to take off?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 11
neilyj666

"..Seams kind of stupid. I'm ending up with way more surfaces that I need to calculate quantities on subsurface stratas which sometimes occur in varying protions of the site. I'm having to make models for each area.

I migrated from eagle point and this was as simple as drawing a closed polyline and selecting the 2 surfaces..."

I agree that bounded volumes are a bit rubbish in C3D and you should be able to, for example, calculate volumes between existing and proposed surfaces without creating a volume surface. As mentioned other software manages to accomplish this with no major problems

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 11
c3dfan

Try the Site Tools program from  Steltman Software.

He has developed a number of routines to set pregrade depths and calculate volumes from any number of areas in the project site using just 2 surfaces.

Dave Hill
Message 8 of 11
peterfunkautodesk

If you go to the "Analyze" tab there is a command for computing volumes between two surfaces without making a volume surface. If you have pockets of subsurfaces it will only compute the volumes where the two surfaces overlap.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11

Sound interesting, whereabouts is that?? have you got an example to post?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
neilyj666

In answer to my own question in the previous post - the volume reported is only for the full surface not by a defined boundary as in the Bounded Volumes option.

Whether the surface could be cropped to the area of interest and volume then calculated I'm not sure but presumably so...

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
neilyj666

If you have an EGL and a composite FGL (i.e. the new earthworks pasted into EGL) then you can use surface boundaries to compute certain areas.

I have several discrete platforms identified that daylght to EGL and by creating a closed polyline around one platform and adding as non destructive outer boundary in composite FGL, the normal volume analysis tool gives the platform cut and fill (as long as the closed polyline extends beyond the daylight line it works well). Drag/move the polyline to another platform, rebuild the surface and recompute the volume and do this for all areas of interest

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report