AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
ned100
Message 1 of 3 (65 Views)

Boundary Intersects itself

65 Views, 2 Replies
03-07-2004 02:01 PM
When trying to create a new surface using Terrain model Explorer I need to create the topo boundary definition. There are no other surfaces existing in the drawing. This is the first. I get the following error message, "Boundary intersects itself. Surface boundary could not be applied." I am thinking, of course it does, it's a closed polyline! Why the error?

Civil Series 2004
*Doug Boys
Message 2 of 3 (65 Views)

Re: Boundary Intersects itself

03-07-2004 03:32 PM in reply to: ned100
It means that the closed polyline has some loops where it crosses over itself. The usual fix-up is to "clean up" the polyline using Map Utilities. You can also do it using PEDIT or breaking and re-joining the polyline to suit. Presumably the cross-over loops cause some conflict with the DTM algorithms. I don't know why the software developers have not included an automatic "clean up" procedure in the DTM routines. Doug Boys
Contributor
ned100
Message 3 of 3 (65 Views)

Re: Boundary Intersects itself

03-08-2004 03:04 AM in reply to: ned100
Thanks. I used drawing cleanup and it fixed it. How this worked i do not understand. When I created the polyline I simply carefully picked each vertice as always. I did not put any loops in it. When I used drawing cleanup it stated "0 objects modified". Still, the error went away.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs