Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizzare behaviour with LinkOffsetAndElevation in Layout mode

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
troma
335 Views, 5 Replies

Bizzare behaviour with LinkOffsetAndElevation in Layout mode

Read in the help about LinkOffsetAndElevation.  Down the bottom:

"

Layout Mode Operation

In layout mode, this subassembly displays a horizontal link using the given Offset input parameters as the width.

"

It doesn't say why.  Can anyone else explain?  There are a couple of others that behave this way too.

Wouldn't it make sense for the sub to 'display a horizontal link using the given Offset input parameters as the Offset from the assembly base point?'  

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sboon
in reply to: troma

The subassemblies are essentially just pieces of code whch you attach to each other to build a larger program.  The software runs that program at each corridor assembly station to build the corridor section.  When the subassembly is dropped into model space, either as part of an assembly or on its own, some of the information necessary to run that programming code is missing.  There are no superelevation parameters, no horizontal or vertical targets, and no surfaces so the assembly cannot really be built.  Instead what you get is Layout mode.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 6
troma
in reply to: sboon

Sure, I get that. A link targeting a surface at an offset doesn't know if it is going up or down, so it needs a default.

All I'm saying is that the default for links including an offset, should be to display the offset set in their properties. Don't display an offset parameter as if it is a width parameter.

Mark Green

Message 4 of 6
sboon

In order to get the offset of the link then it would need the offset of the attachment point, which means that it would have to run the code of the previous subassemblies to calculate that.  Sooner or later you would run into a situation where that isn't possible, so now you're into a situation where the assembly may or may not be showing an offset.

Personally I suspect that we'll see the SAC folded into the main program at some point, which will allow us to work with assemblies inside of a testing environment.  Once that happens you should get your wish.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
troma
in reply to: sboon

OK, I guess. A little too much to ask, avoiding extra processing, avoiding possible impossibilities. Didn't think it would have to look at the previous one; I thought it could just find the offset from the basepoint and draw the link to there. Only one calculation required...but whatever.
I really wish there were a couple more Width links, so I could avoid the Offset ones altogether. LinkWidthAndElevation, LinkWidthOnSurface, LinkWidthAndVerticalDeflection seem reasonable.
I've never used SAC. Does it come with 2013? Can't find it on this machine.

Mark Green

Message 6 of 6
sboon

Check Civil 3D Plus for how to get the SAC installed.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report