Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing Map Images

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dwk1204
11353 Views, 16 Replies

Bing Map Images

Has anyone had issues with Bing bringing imagery in which is not in the correct place. I have set up several drawings today using NAD83 Ohio State Planes, North Zone, US Foot. 7 out of the 8 are correct, one is no where near where it should be (verfied using Google Earth and a point file)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
DaveM
in reply to: dwk1204

Are you bringing them in with mapiinsert, or project base jump?

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 17
dwk1204

Sorry about that...Civil 3D 2014 using "geomap" command....after setting coordinate system

Message 4 of 17
antoniovinci
in reply to: DaveM

dmartin wrote:

Are you bringing them in with mapiinsert?

As far as I know, the _MAPIINSERT command doesn't support online imagery: maybe did you mean _MAPCONNECT..?

Message 5 of 17
mathewkol

Or are you using C3D 2014's built-in Bing Map feature?

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 17
dwk1204

Yes Matt, the built in feature. I have been using for a couple months now with only 2 issues, the one described above, it has happened twice. I was using the feature all day yesterday, same co-ordinate system, different drawings and this only happened on one of them.

Message 7 of 17
neilyj666

I've noticed that on rare occasions (literally once or twice) the Live Maps don't reflect the reality (as I know exactly where my drawings should be in the real world).

The workaround for me was to turn off the map, remove the coordinate system info in Settings, reset the coordinate system and turn the map back on

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 17
dwk1204
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for reply, removed co-ordinate system saved and exited drawing, got back in reset co-ordinates, same issue..no luck, but thanks

Message 9 of 17
MikeEvansUK

I Tried using it yesterday.

Set my Coordinates (via toolspace, ran it and it stated no connection to 360 or internet or I have chosen not to use feature.

Logged into 360, ran again same message. Tried clicking display map button but nothing happened, searched help but no answers there.

I know it seems a bit far fetched but what we need is some kind of application which will import mapping & surface data directly from google earth Smiley LOL

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 10 of 17
TerryDotson
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

... we need is some kind of application which will import mapping & surface data directly from google earth ...

If you were to consider third party software, take a look at MapWorks Base.  It contains a Web Elevation function that will place points (from USGS/USA or GE/GLOBAL) in a grid pattern by simply selecting a desired window and interval.

Dialog Example: http://www.dotsoft.com/images/mwprjgeielev.png

Message 11 of 17
fcernst

Hi Terry,

Does this function work with the National Map Viewer servers from the USGS National Geospatial Program (NGP)?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 17
TerryDotson
in reply to: fcernst
Message 13 of 17
fcernst
in reply to: TerryDotson

Does this routine allow the user to move the images or set the drawing location, with drawings that have data that is on  local coordinate systems, by choosing two common point locations like the GEOMAP routine?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 17
TerryDotson

Even though this thread's subject is about images, I responded to a sentence about:

... import mapping & surface data directly from google earth ...

So I was talking about the ability to place points (that can be modeled) directly from web services in a grid pattern.

Message 15 of 17
fcernst

Ok thanks Terry.

Do you happen have anything that will work with images the way GEOMAP does,  that can easily adjust either the drawing location or the image, with a Bing or Google image  that we can end up printing?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 17
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

Having worked  for an aerial mapping company about 40 years ago.  Spending  a lot of time both setting out aerial control networks and operating a pair of Wild RC8s in the back of a Beach 99. Let me tell you why your images from Google, Bing ect will not collate.

The images that are available are considered resonance grade images( though they appear to be decimeter resolution) they are geo rectified in WGS84LL.  Which means that they are essentially RAW images with no corrections applied. The images contain optical distortions, elevation distortion, terrain distortion, and they have not been corrected to Sea Level Datum. (The greater the elevation of your work area the greater the scale error)  It's a great sales job they let you know how good the images are; they just won't fit till you buy the image.  Read The EULA it is illegal to use those images without a commercial license in any commercial enterprise.

The images are first stereo rectified to remove distortions caused by altitude of the camera and difference in terrain elevation. They are then Ortho rectified to match a specific map projection usually UTM83 or (27) becauseTM is a simple transform. (In the Old Days we used equipment that used a lot of optical tricks to scale and re-project  the image on to a production transparency) Now it is done digitally (Rubber Sheeting) typically with 20-128 match points per doqq.  

Obtaining the images Global Mapper  connects to several of the commercial vendors (Premium Content).  The Hi-res Ortho-rectified  images can be purchased at a cost of from $40 - $200 dollars per square mile. These will be in UTM83 extra charges for special projections. They will let you down load  the images with watermarks before purchase to check coverage and resolution; but you can't save them.

Free Data:  Global Mapper connects to the USGS national Map Server and the USDA Server these are 1 meter  Ortho-photos.  GM will re-project  and write the files with the required geo ref in either tiff or ecw format. Or they can be down loaded as quads from the USGS map store. (Need to use GM14 to convert the GeoPDF to formats that C3D can use.)

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 17 of 17
fcernst

Thanks for the information and reminding me about Rubbersheeting the images. I forgot I had that capability with Raster 2014. Just Rubbersheeted a 0.3m JP2 and it looks pretty good.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report