Mentor
deltacoolguy
Message 1 of 5 (222 Views)
Accepted Solution

Best way to update old file to new?

222 Views, 4 Replies
01-08-2014 05:57 AM

Best way to update old file to new?

I've been given a new project that was last saved under v2012.  It also has profiles and other information from old standards from a different company.  My task is to update the drawing to v2013 and to convert the profiles and such to the new company's settings, etc.

If it were just updating to v2013 I'd simply "save as".  Will the desired new profile settings cause a problem?  I can think of two methods... 1) Insert the new company's template with the desired settings into the drawing, or 2) Insert the drawing file into the new template then "save as".  Or, either, or something else?

What would the best way to be to go about this?

Windows 7-64
8GB RAM
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013
Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 2 of 5 (205 Views)

Re: Best way to update old file to new?

01-08-2014 07:05 AM in reply to: deltacoolguy
Doing an XML of the data would probably be your best course of action, although it will be difficult
C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb
Mentor
deltacoolguy
Message 3 of 5 (176 Views)

01-09-2014 05:53 AM in reply to: rl_jackson
Turns out that, since it was near the beginning of a project, it was easier to simply recreate what had been done. This ensured that everything would be current without any unwanted straggling information.
Windows 7-64
8GB RAM
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 4 of 5 (165 Views)

01-09-2014 07:18 AM in reply to: deltacoolguy

Seems you've solved this for that instance. I've always gone with 2, insert the old version into a new drawing created from the current template.

Allen

Valued Mentor
owenmull
Message 5 of 5 (131 Views)

01-10-2014 10:23 AM in reply to: deltacoolguy

I know you've already solved this, but some thoughts anyway.

I can only really think of a few methods, one being what you did, recreating from scratch. Option 2 would be to export all data to XML and re-import to a drawing based upon your current template, and go from there.

Another option, albeit longer, would be to save the drawing as v2013, and then use the Manage-->Import Styles tool to import all necessery styles from your template, as well as the Design Center (command = dc) to import layers, linetypes, text styles, etc., and then just go change what you need to, and the Purge the old stuff out.

If it is a small file, doing what you did may be easier, but if it were me, I'd go with what was suggested earlier, and just export the intelligent data out and re-import to a clean drawing.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit
NVidia Quadro K3000M Dual Monitor
32.0 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70 GHz
Civil 3D 2013 SP 2

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs