Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to edit a pipe network layout

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
ruipfbarreiros
1488 Views, 14 Replies

Best way to edit a pipe network layout

Hi,

From your experience, what would be the best way to edit a pipe network's layout (pipe position, pipe slope, structure height, etc.)?

The easiest way I can think of is to create alignments of all the pipes in the network and then editing the grips in the profile view of each alignment, easily changing the pipe's slope and depth...

The catch with this method is that:

- it takes a while to create all the alignments needed;

- I have to manually adjust the alignments if I need to change the pipe network position on plan.

What is your thought about this?

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite 2019
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
wfberry
in reply to: ruipfbarreiros

I normally want alignments along my pipes and I  use final profile for my inverts in profiles for reasons below:

1.  It is SO easy to get staking points from the final profile line to about any offset, etc.

2.  In some cases it may not even be necessary to use "pipes" period.

Not too many reasons but in the long run I think it saves time.

Bill

Message 3 of 15
ruipfbarreiros
in reply to: wfberry

yes, I too believe that alignments are essential when controlling the pipe network...

Message 4 of 15

You can create alignments from Network parts, making their creation much faster. Also, having alignments that follow pipe runs makes crossing pipes (if any) appear accurately in your profile view. The manual grip editing takes time, but it's a lot faster than any other way.

Message 5 of 15
wfberry
in reply to: castled071049

Castle:

No intention to be arguing here but I usually find it easier to drag alignment vertices around until I get may desired layout. Don't forget you can have your profile being revised as you go.  Then I slap the CBs and  pipes in.

Bill

Message 6 of 15
castled071049
in reply to: wfberry

Actually, Bill, the way you do it is the way we do it also. I suggested the Crete Alignment From Network Parts in case the OP was putting pipes in first. But to me, your way is the logical workflow.

Message 7 of 15

Creating alignments first is really the best way to go? What if:

1 - What if after inserting the network I need to change the layout in plan? I'll have to change the alignment as well, which may sometimes be rather difficult, no?

2 -  You said that "Don't forget you can have your profile being revised as you go". How can that be accomplished? You mean creating a temporary profile to control where the pipes would be?

Message 8 of 15

The alignment is the easiest thing to edit. You simply grip-edit the vertices and move them to the new location. Or, add vertices, remove them, etc., as you need. If you have already created the profile view, it will automatically update as you edit the alignment.

Note that editing the alignment horizontally does NOT move the pipes in plan view. You have to grip edit these to match your revised alignment as well. This will automatically update the profile view, but you may still have to (or want to) grip edit some of the pipes in profile view.

Message 9 of 15

To edit in plan (horizontally) I agree. Editing the alignment is easy. I meant editing in profile view. This can only be done after creating the pipe network, right?

Message 10 of 15

I guess I'm not clear on what you're asking. Editing the alignment dynamically changes the profile view with no input necessary on your part, if you have created one. A pipe network is not needed.

If you have a pipe network, changes to the alignment may require horizontal and vertical editing of the pipes.

If this isnt' what you are asking, help me understand your question better, please.

Message 11 of 15

I meant that the with the alignment I can only control the network I will later insert horizontally.

To edit the pipes vertically, I must have already created the network. 

Right?

Message 12 of 15

Exactly right.

Message 13 of 15
csevers
in reply to: castled071049

The biggest problem I run into is having to re-enter my pipe inverts every time I change my layout in plan view. I wish there was a way that when I move the nodes in plan view I wouldnt lose my inverts in my profile. It's very annoying because my profile views typically only show between El. 700 and 730 (30' or so) and when I move my nodes in plan, the pipes drop  off of the profile view entirely and I have to re-enter my inverts via pipe properties just to get them back on the profile view for adjustment. There has to be a better way.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 14 of 15
Joe-Bouza

for me the alignments from part has worked fine, editing postion after the fact nevergot in the waywhen I grip the structure I grip the pi at the same time. the pipes and the profile view change with the plan edits. The vertical edits, eh... Its engineering : stuff happens.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 15
drazen-ars

Just my small contribution to the whole discussion. My personal opinion is that, regarding pipes, concept of alignments (way how it is now implemented) is wrong or not effective.

If you have just pipe network, I would like to draw profiles without alignments, just through sequence of sections and nodes. And, yes, if I would like to edit something, not to take care about editing both network elements and alignments to update profile view.

Drazen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report