Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices to organize your work environment?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
tonnot
698 Views, 9 Replies

Best practices to organize your work environment?

Maybe this question could be a suggestion for C3D developers.... 

(This is a resume of last post I asked yesterday)

I encounter problems to organize my work.  I don't understand some actual C3D behaviors. 

Every time I open C3D I have :

- An empty drawing1 I always have to delete .... ??????????? 

(Edited: Yes we have STARTUP var, setting it to 2 avoid this)

- Automatic last survey working folder open. Ok, it is well.

- All the drawing templates  I need, Ok . it is well. 

I have to open manually my drawing / drawings. In case I have to open more than 1 file (and they have to be placed at the same folder....), C3D open all of them (regardless of whether it be neccesary....) . So I have to wait and see how flies fly ....

It seems that Vault can be a solution. Basic Vault can't be used inside prospector (This is what C3D help says...) 

Any idea how to fix it without buying vault?  

Imagine I'm working with 3 or 4 projects. Every time I have to work with one of them,   have I  to do a stupid work (open and set folders) that can be produce errors and problems ?  

Maybe I haveI to create a VBA dialog to make this work.....

I suppose somebody has the same problem as me ....

What is your opinion? Any trick ?

Thanks 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Civil 3D (2013) how much you have to improve....

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: tonnot

@Anonymous wrote:

Every time I open C3D I have :

- An empty drawing1 I always have to delete .... ??????????? 

Look into the STARTUP system variable.

You might want this set to 1 or 2.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 10
tonnot
in reply to: rkmcswain

Yes I know this var... 

Ok, it is useful but the rest of problems ?

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
troma

It is not a good practice to open many drawings at once.  Generally I only work in one drawing at a time.  I may have two or three open if I am comparing or copying something, but not for very long.

Here is my one 'trick' that speeds me up in opening drawings.  In the open dialoge box, browse to the project folder where the drawings are.  Now right-click in the gray bar on the left, and select "Add Current Folder".  This places a shortcut to that folder in that area (known as the Places).  After it is added, you can right-click on it and go to Properties to change the name.  Next time you go to open a drawing, you will have this shortcut there for you.

I have seven project folders and four generic folders in my Places list.  So when I want to open a drawing I can get there much faster.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 10
tonnot
in reply to: troma

I dont want to open all the drawings, I'd want to see them and a tree .... Yes, it is a good trick (add folder) But... as you can see C3D open and close all the drawings until the last (or first, I dont remember), why ? I only want to open 1.... ArcGis, in example, solves this problem ten years ago... with their "workspace"..... However, I'm keep thinking that Autodesk guys could make something better.... Buy Vault is not the solution....

Message 6 of 10
rkmcswain

@troma wrote:

It is not a good practice to open many drawings at once.  

Whose best practice is this, and what makes it a best practice?

Or is this really just a personal preference?

Thanks.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 10
troma
in reply to: rkmcswain

Personal experience of myself and coworkers.  Partially carried forward since Land Desktop, but occasionally checked and reaffirmed in C3D.

Like I said, never say never.  But I wouldn't make a habit of selecting my 5 or 10 profile drawings and opening them all.  I guess results would depend on the size of the drawing, version of the software and the spec's of the hardware.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 10
troma

@Anonymous wrote:
... as you can see C3D open and close all the drawings until the last (or first, I dont remember)

I don't see.  I don't understand what this means.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 10
sboon

The only way that ACad would open more drawings would be if they were xref'd into the one that you chose AFAIK.  Do you have project files that are referencing each other?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza

You may want to consider Sheet set Manager. As part of SSM you can add file locations on the Model view tab and see all you "current" data files in a tree view

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report