Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Xref Arch Drawing

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Pointdump
1978 Views, 11 Replies

Best Way to Xref Arch Drawing

New territory for me. What's the best way to bring in an Architectural drawing into a C3D drawing? It looks like there are two places to scale:

Xref.png

Architectural drawings are usually pretty cluttered. If I wanted to just bring in just grid lines from an architectural drawing, what would be the best work flow?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Murph_Map
in reply to: Pointdump

Look at INSUNITSDEFTARGET and INSUNITSDEFSOURCE along with the INSUNITS var. Then just insert/xref as normal. If you just want the grid I may open the arch dwg and wbock just those out to a new dwg then xref that dwg to keep your civil dwg cleaner and free of all the junk that may be in the orginal dwg. 

Now why are you working on Father's day, you should be out fishing or playing golf. 🙂 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph,

Lemme get this straight. If I have an architectural drawing that I want to Xref into a C3D drawing, all I have to do is set:

INSUNITS = 0
INSUNITSDEFSOURCE = 1
INSUNITSDEFTARGET = 2

And that will automatically scale the Feet&Inch Arch Drawing into my Decimal Foot C3D Drawing? Or am I missing something?

I'll wait until you get back from Golfing. SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 4 of 12
Joe-Bouza

For me: Uniform scale xyz= 1/12

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks Joe. Things would certainly be easier if architects would just learn how to use real dimensions. Smiley Happy

I did some playing with INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFTARGET, and INSUNITSDEFSOURCE, and sometimes the Block Unit Factor would change to 0.08333. But I tried so many different things that I can't remember what I did when it changed, or if that was what changed it. I'll have to take notes and see if I can discover the path to Truth.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Hi Dave

All that INSUNITS stuff spins my head too. I keep mine set to unitless and just type in the scale factor.

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Pointdump

OK, so here's the definitive results of my extensive experimentations this morning whilst drinking coffee:

First Way:

INSUNITS=0

INSUNITSDEFSOURCE=1

INSUNITSDEFTARGET=2

This will bring in an Architectural Drawing (Inch Units) into a C3D Drawing (Decimal Feet Units) without the necessity of changing any scale factors.

Second Way:

INSUNITS=2

This will bring in an Architectural Drawing (Inch Units) into a C3D Drawing (Decimal Feet Units). Block Unit Factor changes automatically to 0.083333.

Third Way:

INSUNITS=0

INSUNITSDEFSOURCE=0

INSUNITSDEFTARGET=0

Under Scale, set X to 0.083333 and click on Uniform Scale.

Thanks, Murph and Joe!

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 8 of 12
Murph_Map

@Pointdump wrote:

Murph,

Lemme get this straight. If I have an architectural drawing that I want to Xref into a C3D drawing, all I have to do is set:

INSUNITS = 0
INSUNITSDEFSOURCE = 1
INSUNITSDEFTARGET = 2

And that will automatically scale the Feet&Inch Arch Drawing into my Decimal Foot C3D Drawing? Or am I missing something?

I'll wait until you get back from Golfing. SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Yes providing the arch dwg was done in feet/inch units. 

I don't golf but had to mow the yard and other honey doos. 😉

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thankl you, two more lines for the acaddoc.lsp file 🙂

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
AllenJessup

@Pointdump wrote:

Things would certainly be easier if architects would just learn how to use real dimensions. Smiley Happy

Dave, Don't start that argument! I haven't heard any Architects complain about dumb Engineers who don't know how to draw in real units for a while. The silence has been golden.

The INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFTARGET, and INSUNITSDEFSOURCE method is definatly the way to go. Unless you have to consider Survey Feet!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks for weighing in, Allen. It's nice to have a confirmation on methods.

As for Feet-and-Inches, I'm a reformed (recovering?) carpenter, so I know a thing or two about those grievous units. SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 12 of 12
wfberry

Dave:

Remember it is much easier (and more accurate probably) to just enter 1/12 whenever AutCAD asks for a scale factor.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report