Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice Building Surfaces

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
DaveM
641 Views, 22 Replies

Best Practice Building Surfaces

All,

When building surfaces I typically attach survey figures first, then add a point group second. The point group i use excludes the point descriptions that create the breaklines. I recently had a disscussion with a coworker that thinks this is not the way to go. I am curious how others do this.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
ericcollins6932
in reply to: DaveM

Yep, it does. That's why I like to bring in the points - gives me something to sort into groupsand then snap my breaklines to. Especially when there are lots of points.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 22 of 23
sboon
in reply to: wfberry

If a breakline is added after the fact then there are three steps in the process:

- Any existing TIN lines which cross the new breakline have to be deleted.

- TIN lines are added along the breakline.

- TIN lines are added, connecting the breakline to adjacent points and closing any other triangles that were affected.

If breaklines are added to a surface first:

- TIN lines will connect the breakline points. 

- When random points are added then some TIN lines must be deleted if they don't actually run along a breakline.  Typically however the number of lines involved is much less than the previous scenario.

- New TIN lines are added, connecting the breaklines to adjacent points and the points to each other.

Every time you rebuild the surface it has to go through one of these sequences.  If you go into the Definition tab of the surface properties dialog and reorder things to add the breaklines first then you're making the process slightly faster.  Realistically however you would need a huge surface with lots of breaklines to be able to notice the difference in build time.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 23 of 23
BrianHailey
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

Let me try to subtract that con. 🙂

If this is field data the breakline points should not have to be removed. This should be done automaitcally via desc keys and point group  and surface data management.

I didn't say it was a BIG con... 🙂

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report