Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benched assembly problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Nik-D
363 Views, 5 Replies

Benched assembly problem

Hi all

I am trying to create a road corridor using a bench subassembly. I have created my baseline at the edge of the ROW and daylighted down to my target elevation (this is created by using a temporary surface as a target). I then wish to create a link to a specified offset so I can insert a road subassembly at that point.

When i attach create the corridor initially using just the bench sub, things are ok. (see pics)

Bench Assembly.JPG

Benched Corridor.JPG

When I attach the link to the end of the sub, the link attaches itself to the insertion point of the corridor and not the daylighting point as per my subassembly.

Bench Assembly with Link.JPG

The final corridor looks like this:

Benched Corridor with Link.JPG

Why is the link attaching itself to the insertion point and not the daylighting point??

Any help would be appreciated

N

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Nik-D

1. What version are we talking about?
  2. Can you post your file(s)?  If there is a dynamic reference, be sure to include it and tell us which file to open.  If you're using a custom subassembly, be sure to include the pkt file.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 6
Nik-D
in reply to: doni49

Hi Don

I cannot post the drawing as the company is a little paranoid about that sort of thing. There are DREF's but the corridor does not target those surfaces and the sub assembly is the out of the box Benched daylight SA.

I tried different daylighting SA's and they all acted in a similar fasion except the Basic Daylight which correctly models the corridor with the link attching itself at the daylight point and not the insertion point.

I am using C3D 2014 SP1

Message 4 of 6
sboon

This problem happens with the more complex daylight subs.  You're attaching to one of two possible daylight points, which may not actually exist in the corridor section.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
Nik-D
in reply to: sboon

Hi Steve,

The thing that I dont understand is where I have taken the snapshot picture there definately IS a solution and the link should be at the daylight point but this never happens, why?

It seems that the only daylight SA to work correctly is the basic SA and that there is a fundamental flaw with the other SA's if you want to connect something to the daylighting location.

Nik

Message 6 of 6
sboon

Yes there is a solution for the example you posted but that solution might come after the first, second or multiple benches, and that's the problem.  The point on the DaylightBench sub is only a placeholder in this case, for display on the assembly.  When the sub is inserted to a corridor section the daylight point might be the third or fifth or seventh point added.  When the software doesn't have a fixed attachment point for the next sub you may get this behaviour. 

You could solve this by replicating the behaviour of DaylightBench using generic links and conditional subs.  You could also break this into two parts - one assembly that just builds the benches, then extract the daylight featureline and use that as a target for another assembly that builds the rest.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report