Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banding issue and annotation scaling

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
2334 Views, 20 Replies

Banding issue and annotation scaling

The current way this is programmed is frustrating and confusing to say the least.

I have read a number of articles with regards to how autocad scales annotative objects and they all are missing somethign fundamental.  I have read that....

"....AutoCAD Civil3D does not just use your viewport scale but takes your viewport scale BY your plot scale to determine the annotation’s plot scale height. This creates text that is the same height no matter what scale your drawing plot may be."

The problem I have found is that when you define a band style, you tag the data to a vertex on the band in question, either to the top, middle or bottom of band.  However while civil 3D scales these bands based on both VP scale and plotscale to make it appear correctly in the viewport, if fails to scale the point that the label for the band is attached to, instead it inserts the text at a point on the band that is scaled ONLY by the plotscale and not by the VP scale.

As a result text for the banding appears offset and the only way to fix it is by creating a new style with built in offsets to the Y coordinate.

This is simply an oversight by the programmers, but it has caused me untold headaches.

The example shows 2 viewports.  The one on the right is the original at 1:500 and the left one is copied and the scale set at 1:250.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I didnt check the output before I attached it but as you may have noticed there is no problem with the banding in the example, which is even more confusing.

I attached a clipped screenshot to show im not crazy.

Message 3 of 21
Joe-Bouza

"....AutoCAD Civil3D does not just use your viewport scale but takes your viewport scale BY your plot scale to determine the annotation’s plot scale height. This creates text that is the same height no matter what scale your drawing plot may be."

I believe that that works as expected. I see your are working in metric please excuse my use of imperial; if I have a view port set to 20 scale and make a 40 scale plot I would not expect my L100 text to be 0.1 but 0.05. If I wanted it to be 0.1; I would set the vport to 40 before plotting. If I understand you correctly, that is?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 21
wfberry

Annotation scaling is NOT Civil 3D label scaling.  Annotation scaling refers to regular Autocad Mtext or Text, set as annotation.

The viewport scale DOES scale your Civil 3D text objects(labels).

Bill

Message 5 of 21
Joe-Bouza

Once again you have crystallized my thoughts succinctly <G>

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

So you got to the part where I described how it worked, in quotation marks noless, then just tell me its working as intended?  Did you even bother to read the rest of the post? 

The issue is not with the text size but the placeholder that the text is tagged to in the banding, it remains unscaled while the actual band is scaled by the viewport.  As a result it offsets the text downward in the y-direction.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

There is no NEED to capitalize words in a sentence, it is condescending and insulting and has no place on a professional forum.  It suggests that I have been told this information ad nauseum and require emphasis in order to understand, so excuse me if I pose my personal issues with the program.

Like always I can find a work around to make my drawings print correctly, it is just frustrating at times when things do not work as they should.

Message 8 of 21
Sinc

Tables suffer from a similar problem.  The relative placement of columns in a multi-column table is calculated when it is first placed into modelspace.  If you then try to view the table through a viewport that is at a different scale, the individual tables and text inside them all scales to match the viewport scale, but the relative placement of the columns does not change.  The result is either columns that are spaced too widely, or columns that overlap and overtype each other.

Sinc
Message 9 of 21
matthewsheal83

Please, please, PLEASE help me!  I feel like I'm losing my mind with this STUPID profile data bands issue! *see attachment*

My data band is not displaying correctly through the viewport in some of my sheets, not all of them.  It looks fine in the model space, but in the viewport it looks like crap and prints like crap.

I've tried creating a new profile view - failure

I've tried creating a new view port - failure

I've tried modifiying the data band style to adjust text heights, text styles, band height - failure

I've tried deleting the data band and creating a new one - failure

I've tried faking the scale in the view port to something close to the scale I want, or even changing it radically to a different scale - failure

What, in the name of sanity, am I doing wrong???

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: matthewsheal83

Nothing worse than a friday afternoon deadline and auocad doesnt work like it should (well logically anyway).

I wish I had time to help or an answer for you exactly but check out this link.

You will probably pull your hair out wrapping your head around it, but try this link, hopefully it helps.

http://www.civil3d.com/2010/07/civil-3d-annotation-scaling-revisited/

Message 11 of 21
matthewsheal83

Thanks for your quick reply, I've got my coworkers on the job on this issue too, and it seems that Regen All (REA) triggers the incorrect display of the data band text, and Regen (RE) corrects it... bizzare.

Message 12 of 21
Neilw_05

@matthewsheal83 wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply, I've got my coworkers on the job on this issue too, and it seems that Regen All (REA) triggers the incorrect display of the data band text, and Regen (RE) corrects it... bizzare.

In the past 2 days I encoutered this exact problem and spent a couple of days trying to figure out what was wrong. As you say, Regen All doesn't work. You have to use REGEN to fix it.

On a side note, I don't have the C3D 2011 service pack installed (disk is in other office). Does anyone know if this is fixed in the SP?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 13 of 21
wfberry

My advice is to set your model space scale the same as your desired viewport scale and see how this works.

Bill

Message 14 of 21
Neilw_05
in reply to: wfberry

@Anonymous wrote:

My advice is to set your model space scale the same as your desired viewport scale and see how this works.

Bill

That doesn't help Bill. I think there is a defect. If RE fixes it, REA should fix it as well. It doesn't.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 15 of 21
wfberry
in reply to: Neilw_05

Unfortunately, I answered that message before I realized that there was another PAGE.

It's MONDAY, re-training day.

<G>

Bill

Message 16 of 21

Well, my work-around solution is to when I get it looking right after several regens, I exploded the text so it became static.  I know, I know!  Blasphemy... but the data band is relatively easy to reproduce so I'm not so sad it is static now, just need to remember to update it in the future...

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

I have similar issue (see attached), my template is based off the ANZ 2010 Template.

I can get the model space to display what i want sometimes, i do change the scale to what i am going to display. However sometime the display is wacky still and REA wont change the banding so i have to close and open..

If i have muitiple vport scles i cant get it to display the correct scale (sometime i even have to jump in and out of the product to get it to change the display), but when i print it seems to fix it self 99% of the time.

Not much help in th overall discussion, but the only thing i can think of is some of the display setting in the profile style that could tweak the display. And check out the standard banding setting in the ANZ 2010/2011 (you can get them of the AutoDesk Country Kit page)..

I am using C3D 2011, SP1 (no advantage pack - which corrupts my enterprised CUI).

Cheers

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

OP did you manage to solve your issue?

I for one am having the exact same issue with band scaling. The way our template works is that we have all model design done in Civil 3D and then xref that design into our "Paper Layout dwgs" in autocad (for sheet set up). When the xref is saved at a differing annotation scale then the viewport that it is plotted from we get odd looking bands in our paper space drawings. It seems that the text height scales fine as expected but the attachment point to the band does not. We did not have an issue with this in Civil 3D 2008 but now that we are switched over we have to constantly resave our xrefs to match the viewport scale in the plotting drawings, very annoying with large drawing sets with multiple scales.

If anybody has a solution to this it would be much appreciated.

Message 19 of 21
engqld

Has anyone managed to find a work around for this that works 100% of the time I have 2011 SP2 as I just updated hopeing to fix this problem. The only way I have managed to fix it is by exploding the bands text.

Message 20 of 21
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: engqld

I usually find that a similar thing occurs when I have multiple view ports with different scales on the same layout.

As has been stated, a regenall causes the civil 3d objects to scale oddly in one viewport (usually all objects in viewports are scaled to one of the other viewport scales) , usually the profile views.

To fix the odd scaling, I go into each viewport on a layout and run the regen command.

If that doesn't help, it would help if you could post a drawing with the problem.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report