Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballpark Style Setup times

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
393 Views, 31 Replies

Ballpark Style Setup times

It would help immensely to get a users "read" on how long it takes to set up the different types of Styles in use for C3D. I am aware that there are default Styles provided with the app, but we all have different agency requirements that we must meet. And no two agencies agree on how they want to see the data represented (not even when only a freeway separates them from each other). So could you kind folks inundate me with some ballpark numbers on how long it takes to set up a new Style for use in production from the canned ones provided? Please address Points, Grading, Surfaces, Alignments; whatever is currently a part of the app. I asked this same question of the Dan & Dave show today on the Webcast, so I'm specifically looking to see if you agree with their estimation. Checking practice with theory, you see. TIA, -- Don Reichle "King of Work-Arounds" Ifland Engineers, Inc.
31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Reality check time. Who pays for technological advancements? Clients, not owners; they pay for everything in the office after all. Just ask any CFO worth their salt. Can we justify the additional increase in charges to our clients for the Enlightened One(s) necessary for the proper care and feeding of the newly born application C3D? Can we justify the increase in costs in training to bring the rest of the office up to speed as C3D reaches towards its final production-capable version? Do we spend the man-hours necessary to bring the office along during the growing pains? These are the hard questions to be answered not by us techno-geeks but by the bean-counters and upper management types that control the expenditure of the revenue brought in by the clients. In answering those questions they ask themselves if the clients will hang in there through the rate increases, or go looking for a cheaper method of getting the project through design and into construction? To be worth while New Technology has to be not only faster out of the gate, but employ endurance to get to the Finish Line ahead of the pack. I think that the product reviews herein tell us that while the gate is quickly disappearing in the dust, the endurance is lacking in that equation, thus far. -- Don Reichle "King of Work-Arounds" Ifland Engineers, Inc. "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message news:403a7887_1@newsprd01... > > Hi, > > > dictatorial local "I will do exactly as I like and insist you do it too" > > I like that :) > > I believe it is not only about setting up standards > and styles, I think it may be much more than that, > a new milestone in design process, so it is no > wonder a resistance is inevitable. > > There was a time when manual (pen and paper) > drafting was turning into computer aided design. > There were believers in that new technology and > those who were skeptic at least, or firm believers > it wouldn't ever pick up. > > It seems that computer aided design, as we know it, > has reached its saturation point. It became tedious > to do stuff 'manually' in CAD over and over again. > There has been a significant amount of years of > experience accumulated about how things are done, > and how they can be done more efficiently (with smart > objects and styles). And as history repeats itself > there are people who accept it immediately, who accept > it after a while, and those who will maybe never > accept it. > > It would not be surprising that due to new technologies > and procedures currently available, Tool Palettes, new > Sheet Sets and tables in AutoCAD 2005, LandXML, GIS, > portable devices, more frequently heard model exchanging > as opposed to paper exchanging, etc. companies > may need to re-think they entire CAD(/GIS) setups to gain > full advantage of all. > > It may end up not by setting up Styles only. And > that may take some time. Even more time than what > James suggested (3-4 weeks, BTW I admire him to > say something like that out loud. Very few would > dare say such thing, and everyone else would > scream on that as financially non justifiable). > > Also, it would really be curious to find out a results > of "sampling through (autodesk's) resellers of the > median size of users within a licensed site". My > hypothesis is that companies will come to conclusion > sooner or later, that a sophisticated Cad Manager (is > PE, is skilled designer, is an understanding boss, and > even have some programming skills) will become > more of a necessity not a question of affordability. > > Once Civil3D becomes alive a skilled Cad Manager > and a handful of skilled and strongly CAD oriented > designers could replace a whole army of 'regular' > designers and drafters, and thus probably justifying > their cost. > > Anyway, next 2 years will be interesting. > > > Thanks, > > > -- > Strah @ Langan > > "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message > news:403a62ce_1@newsprd01... > > Hi, > > > > It would seem to me that there is at least a possibility that these > > dictatorial local "I will do exactly as I like and insist you do it too" > > organisations you advocate will love styles and will create their own to > > ensure consistency of output from their system. > > > > Once the style exists, provided that the style can be imported into a > > drawing, it wont matter what the drawing submitter sends them. > > > > In fact maybe all the Authority needs is to receive the LandXML file and > > then they can get any reports they need in the exact format they need. > > > > Development thoughts: > > Create a mechanism to "batch import" a "style template" to all drawings in > a > > directory. > > Create very good documentation to make it easy to learn how to create the > > "Style template" > > -- > > > > > > Laurie Comerford > > CADApps > > www.cadapps.com.au > > > > > > > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > > news:403a4f1c_1@newsprd01... > > > Well Dave, thanks for outlining most of the things that I don't care for > > > about the direction the product is taking. I've answered each one below. > > > > > > If you would do a sampling through your resellers of the median size of > > > users within a licensed site, my hypothesis is that you would find the > > > result heavily weighted in the five to ten user area. Most of those > sites > > > would not have (and maybe could not afford) a Cad Manager to handle the > > > daily tasks of maintaining the network of Styles necessary to keep all > the > > > jurisdictions happy in the region they serve. > > > > > > The opinion was raised recently regarding regional standardization of > > > drafting styles. As I said before, we are a nation of individuals, and > > > therefore value our "bubble space". In my earlier analogy the cities of > > > Eugene and Springfield in Oregon are only separated by Interstate 5, but > > you > > > would never know it by looking at the plans they want the engineers to > > > produce for their approval. To add to the mix then you throw in Lane > > County > > > and Oregon DOT. All have different standards of linetype, lineweight, > text > > > height, data necessary on plans, etc. > > > > > > I'm not sure that my hypothetical majority will embrace the thought of > > > applying the necessary maintenance of Styles as C3D evolves over its > > > lifespan. > > > > > > Here is my take on the list of issues you bring up: > > > 1. As I said most of your user base does not have a Cad Manager, or if > > they > > > do it's probably the same person that signs all the paychecks. So this > is > > > probably not something they want added to their job description. > > > 2. This would help that pill more easily be swallowed. > > > 3. Make the library site-specific instead of dwg file specific, so that > > > changes to styles would cascade throughout the office once implemented > > > without the need to open each and every dwg file where they have been > > > applied. > > > 4. Once the Styles become site-specific this issue would disappear. > > > 5. If the programmers in NH would just develop their own brand of Mtext > > > (Ctext?) that would be dynamic, ala Labels this issue would disappear. > > > 6. Instead of creating a hierarchy of Enlightened Ones, evaluate how to > > make > > > the creation and maintenance of Styles easy enough for a novice to use. > We > > > don't want to be left in ignorance once the Enlightened Ones either die > or > > > are lured away by better percs. > > > 7. Since Styles are inherently regional in nature (regions possibly as > > small > > > as 25 miles) how will Robert Steltman in Canada know anything about what > > > types of Styles I need in Santa Cruz County, CA, and therefore be able > to > > > honestly service such a broad clientele? (Just one example) > > > 8. On most dialog boxes there is an Advanced button where you hide the > > > additional flexible options. > > > -- > > > Don Reichle > > > "King of Work-Arounds" > > > Ifland Engineers, Inc. > > > > > > "Dave Simeone" wrote in message > > > news:403a17d3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Hi all - This is a very interesting and informative trail. Note that > we > > > > definately review trails such as this to help define future product > and > > > > program requirements. Here are some things that I've gotten out of the > > > > trail... > > > > > > > > 1. The CAD Manager will (or should) have the primary responsibility > for > > > > defining the styles used in your organization. > > > > 2. We need to make the intial creation of styles easier for the CAD > > > Manager > > > > 3. We need to make it easier to add to your style libraries (add new > > > styles, > > > > copy/adjust existing styles for new submittal agencies, etc) > > > > 4. Make styles more portable (make it easier to move one or more > styles) > > > > 5. Come up with a solution to handle unique conditions. Styles can be > > > > created for what you typically encounter. However, creating a label > for > > a > > > > unique situation will take farm more effort than a simple text label. > > > > However, simple text labels don't have the same dynamic behavior, etc. > > > > 6. Need to focus on better documentation and other resources > > specifically > > > > for those who will be building these styles > > > > 7. Need to foster the growth of sharing styles and folks building > styles > > > for > > > > sale > > > > 8. We need to keep the system flexible enough to meet an incredibly > > > diverse > > > > range of needs - while making it easy and clear for easy type user! > > > > > > > > Note - there are bunch of style "feature" requirements that we are > aware > > > of > > > > and working through. > > > > > > > > Thanks for the input and feel free to add to this list. > > > > Dave S > > > > > > > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > > > > news:40366f09$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > It would help immensely to get a users "read" on how long it takes > to > > > set > > > > up > > > > > the different types of Styles in use for C3D. I am aware that there > > are > > > > > default Styles provided with the app, but we all have different > agency > > > > > requirements that we must meet. And no two agencies agree on how > they > > > want > > > > > to see the data represented (not even when only a freeway separates > > them > > > > > from each other). > > > > > > > > > > So could you kind folks inundate me with some ballpark numbers on > how > > > long > > > > > it takes to set up a new Style for use in production from the canned > > > ones > > > > > provided? > > > > > > > > > > Please address Points, Grading, Surfaces, Alignments; whatever is > > > > currently > > > > > a part of the app. > > > > > > > > > > I asked this same question of the Dan & Dave show today on the > > Webcast, > > > so > > > > > I'm specifically looking to see if you agree with their estimation. > > > > Checking > > > > > practice with theory, you see. > > > > > > > > > > TIA, > > > > > -- > > > > > Don Reichle > > > > > "King of Work-Arounds" > > > > > Ifland Engineers, Inc. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous

There is really no purpose arguing about these things. Time will really tell. I am just speaking from my own experience and making future projections based on that. When computer aided design first started every single (experienced) old-fashioned drafter was faster than cad drafter, yet that was not good enough reason for 'expensive' CAD going away, nor for increasing the number of pen and paper drafters. Increasing in cost in training is relative thing, as anything else. Both can be proved on a paper; that training is too expensive to be justified, and that the training will pay off in very short time ("The beauty /or figuring that if you wish/ is in the eye of the beholder"). Besides, not everything can be explicitly expressed in terms of money (e.g. going all the way to the third floor to get some drawing from a drawer just to find out that somebody already took it and never returned it, as opposed to finding it with Search method off the intranet). I am not talking about enlightened ones, just simply about proper training, patience, and good manuals. Just for example, in our office a CAD drafter, with no engineering training whatsoever, learned how to create boring profiles with automated procedures. If there are multiple profiles, and a large number of borings, that would take engineers long days (and expensive hours) to create the profiles. The CAD drafter can produce the same profiles within few hours now. I admit, it took some time to get him going, but now it pays off big time. I know of quite a few similar examples. I've had a chance to work for few companies and learned how most of things are really relative. Sometimes, management or engineers would complain how something is time consuming, and when they had been offered smarter and quicker solution they would not bother to use it, even the 'training' took only 15-30 minutes. I've seen users strongly opposing to something at one point of time and being evangelist for that same thing later (as already stated, history repeats itself - because nobody listens.). I've also seen many cases of re-inventing a wheel - people would set up, develop, or introduce some 'new' things that have been out there forever, or simply having bought expensive and powerful software that would be collecting dust on some office shelf just because nobody wanted (or had time) to learn it. To conclude, the styles are but automated procedures, that will take some time to master (3 or 4 weeks or longer or shorter), but once mastered and set up (with a proper training, patience, and manuals), IMHO they will be tremendously cost-effective. I think autodesk made a smart move opening public beta with Civil3D. Weekly web sessions are very clever learning enhancement, and they've been working (according to them) on detailed manuals. What else we can or should expect? The only step between Civil3D and more than that is robotics or IgoToWacationAndHaveComputerDoAllForMeBeforeIamBack :) Cheers, -- Strah @ Langan "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:403a9245_3@newsprd01... > Reality check time. > > Who pays for technological advancements? > > Clients, not owners; they pay for everything in the office after all. Just > ask any CFO worth their salt. > > Can we justify the additional increase in charges to our clients for the > Enlightened One(s) necessary for the proper care and feeding of the newly > born application C3D? > > Can we justify the increase in costs in training to bring the rest of the > office up to speed as C3D reaches towards its final production-capable > version? > > Do we spend the man-hours necessary to bring the office along during the > growing pains? > > These are the hard questions to be answered not by us techno-geeks but by > the bean-counters and upper management types that control the expenditure of > the revenue brought in by the clients. > > In answering those questions they ask themselves if the clients will hang in > there through the rate increases, or go looking for a cheaper method of > getting the project through design and into construction? To be worth while > New Technology has to be not only faster out of the gate, but employ > endurance to get to the Finish Line ahead of the pack. > > I think that the product reviews herein tell us that while the gate is > quickly disappearing in the dust, the endurance is lacking in that equation, > thus far. > -- > Don Reichle > "King of Work-Arounds" > Ifland Engineers, Inc. > > "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message > news:403a7887_1@newsprd01... > > > > Hi, > > > > > dictatorial local "I will do exactly as I like and insist you do it too" > > > > I like that :) > > > > I believe it is not only about setting up standards > > and styles, I think it may be much more than that, > > a new milestone in design process, so it is no > > wonder a resistance is inevitable. > > > > There was a time when manual (pen and paper) > > drafting was turning into computer aided design. > > There were believers in that new technology and > > those who were skeptic at least, or firm believers > > it wouldn't ever pick up. > > > > It seems that computer aided design, as we know it, > > has reached its saturation point. It became tedious > > to do stuff 'manually' in CAD over and over again. > > There has been a significant amount of years of > > experience accumulated about how things are done, > > and how they can be done more efficiently (with smart > > objects and styles). And as history repeats itself > > there are people who accept it immediately, who accept > > it after a while, and those who will maybe never > > accept it. > > > > It would not be surprising that due to new technologies > > and procedures currently available, Tool Palettes, new > > Sheet Sets and tables in AutoCAD 2005, LandXML, GIS, > > portable devices, more frequently heard model exchanging > > as opposed to paper exchanging, etc. companies > > may need to re-think they entire CAD(/GIS) setups to gain > > full advantage of all. > > > > It may end up not by setting up Styles only. And > > that may take some time. Even more time than what > > James suggested (3-4 weeks, BTW I admire him to > > say something like that out loud. Very few would > > dare say such thing, and everyone else would > > scream on that as financially non justifiable). > > > > Also, it would really be curious to find out a results > > of "sampling through (autodesk's) resellers of the > > median size of users within a licensed site". My > > hypothesis is that companies will come to conclusion > > sooner or later, that a sophisticated Cad Manager (is > > PE, is skilled designer, is an understanding boss, and > > even have some programming skills) will become > > more of a necessity not a question of affordability. > > > > Once Civil3D becomes alive a skilled Cad Manager > > and a handful of skilled and strongly CAD oriented > > designers could replace a whole army of 'regular' > > designers and drafters, and thus probably justifying > > their cost. > > > > Anyway, next 2 years will be interesting. > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > -- > > Strah @ Langan > > > > "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message > > news:403a62ce_1@newsprd01... > > > Hi, > > > > > > It would seem to me that there is at least a possibility that these > > > dictatorial local "I will do exactly as I like and insist you do it too" > > > organisations you advocate will love styles and will create their own to > > > ensure consistency of output from their system. > > > > > > Once the style exists, provided that the style can be imported into a > > > drawing, it wont matter what the drawing submitter sends them. > > > > > > In fact maybe all the Authority needs is to receive the LandXML file and > > > then they can get any reports they need in the exact format they need. > > > > > > Development thoughts: > > > Create a mechanism to "batch import" a "style template" to all drawings > in > > a > > > directory. > > > Create very good documentation to make it easy to learn how to create > the > > > "Style template" > > > -- > > > > > > > > > Laurie Comerford > > > CADApps > > > www.cadapps.com.au > > > > > > > > > > > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > > > news:403a4f1c_1@newsprd01... > > > > Well Dave, thanks for outlining most of the things that I don't care > for > > > > about the direction the product is taking. I've answered each one > below. > > > > > > > > If you would do a sampling through your resellers of the median size > of > > > > users within a licensed site, my hypothesis is that you would find the > > > > result heavily weighted in the five to ten user area. Most of those > > sites > > > > would not have (and maybe could not afford) a Cad Manager to handle > the > > > > daily tasks of maintaining the network of Styles necessary to keep all > > the > > > > jurisdictions happy in the region they serve. > > > > > > > > The opinion was raised recently regarding regional standardization of > > > > drafting styles. As I said before, we are a nation of individuals, and > > > > therefore value our "bubble space". In my earlier analogy the cities > of > > > > Eugene and Springfield in Oregon are only separated by Interstate 5, > but > > > you > > > > would never know it by looking at the plans they want the engineers to > > > > produce for their approval. To add to the mix then you throw in Lane > > > County > > > > and Oregon DOT. All have different standards of linetype, lineweight, > > text > > > > height, data necessary on plans, etc. > > > > > > > > I'm not sure that my hypothetical majority will embrace the thought of > > > > applying the necessary maintenance of Styles as C3D evolves over its > > > > lifespan. > > > > > > > > Here is my take on the list of issues you bring up: > > > > 1. As I said most of your user base does not have a Cad Manager, or if > > > they > > > > do it's probably the same person that signs all the paychecks. So this > > is > > > > probably not something they want added to their job description. > > > > 2. This would help that pill more easily be swallowed. > > > > 3. Make the library site-specific instead of dwg file specific, so > that > > > > changes to styles would cascade throughout the office once implemented > > > > without the need to open each and every dwg file where they have been > > > > applied. > > > > 4. Once the Styles become site-specific this issue would disappear. > > > > 5. If the programmers in NH would just develop their own brand of > Mtext > > > > (Ctext?) that would be dynamic, ala Labels this issue would disappear. > > > > 6. Instead of creating a hierarchy of Enlightened Ones, evaluate how > to > > > make > > > > the creation and maintenance of Styles easy enough for a novice to > use. > > We > > > > don't want to be left in ignorance once the Enlightened Ones either > die > > or > > > > are lured away by better percs. > > > > 7. Since Styles are inherently regional in nature (regions possibly as > > > small > > > > as 25 miles) how will Robert Steltman in Canada know anything about > what > > > > types of Styles I need in Santa Cruz County, CA, and therefore be able > > to > > > > honestly service such a broad clientele? (Just one example) > > > > 8. On most dialog boxes there is an Advanced button where you hide the > > > > additional flexible options. > > > > -- > > > > Don Reichle > > > > "King of Work-Arounds" > > > > Ifland Engineers, Inc. > > > > > > > > "Dave Simeone" wrote in message > > > > news:403a17d3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > Hi all - This is a very interesting and informative trail. Note that > > we > > > > > definately review trails such as this to help define future product > > and > > > > > program requirements. Here are some things that I've gotten out of > the > > > > > trail... > > > > > > > > > > 1. The CAD Manager will (or should) have the primary responsibility > > for > > > > > defining the styles used in your organization. > > > > > 2. We need to make the intial creation of styles easier for the CAD > > > > Manager > > > > > 3. We need to make it easier to add to your style libraries (add new > > > > styles, > > > > > copy/adjust existing styles for new submittal agencies, etc) > > > > > 4. Make styles more portable (make it easier to move one or more > > styles) > > > > > 5. Come up with a solution to handle unique conditions. Styles can > be > > > > > created for what you typically encounter. However, creating a label > > for > > > a > > > > > unique situation will take farm more effort than a simple text > label. > > > > > However, simple text labels don't have the same dynamic behavior, > etc. > > > > > 6. Need to focus on better documentation and other resources > > > specifically > > > > > for those who will be building these styles > > > > > 7. Need to foster the growth of sharing styles and folks building > > styles > > > > for > > > > > sale > > > > > 8. We need to keep the system flexible enough to meet an incredibly > > > > diverse > > > > > range of needs - while making it easy and clear for easy type user! > > > > > > > > > > Note - there are bunch of style "feature" requirements that we are > > aware > > > > of > > > > > and working through. > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for the input and feel free to add to this list. > > > > > Dave S > > > > > > > > > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > > > > > news:40366f09$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > > It would help immensely to get a users "read" on how long it takes > > to > > > > set > > > > > up > > > > > > the different types of Styles in use for C3D. I am aware that > there > > > are > > > > > > default Styles provided with the app, but we all have different > > agency > > > > > > requirements that we must meet. And no two agencies agree on how > > they > > > > want > > > > > > to see the data represented (not even when only a freeway > separates > > > them > > > > > > from each other). > > > > > > > > > > > > So could you kind folks inundate me with some ballpark numbers on > > how > > > > long > > > > > > it takes to set up a new Style for use in production from the > canned > > > > ones > > > > > > provided? > > > > > > > > > > > > Please address Points, Grading, Surfaces, Alignments; whatever is > > > > > currently > > > > > > a part of the app. > > > > > > > > > > > > I asked this same question of the Dan & Dave show today on the > > > Webcast, > > > > so > > > > > > I'm specifically looking to see if you agree with their > estimation. > > > > > Checking > > > > > > practice with theory, you see. > > > > > > > > > > > > TIA, > > > > > > -- > > > > > > Don Reichle > > > > > > "King of Work-Arounds" > > > > > > Ifland Engineers, Inc. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 23 of 32
Anonymous

It still seems to me like styles is the way to go. Its a natural progression towards a practical blend of design functions and final plotting documentation requirements. I am not familiar with Prospector but Grouping objects by style and making "supergroups" (?) sounds a lot like having layers controlled in hierarchical fashion like Explorer directory trees. That's something we have wanted for a while. Layers and Layer Manager wasn't always so slick as it is now. Hopefully Propector will duplicate all the Layer manager functions pretty quickly ? Doug Boys
Message 24 of 32
Anonymous

I thought that is exactly the purpose of XML. (But this does not get away from having to set up "styles". You still have to generate XLS "stylesheets" in XML. Doug Boys "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:403a62ce_1@newsprd01... > > In fact maybe all the Authority needs is to receive the LandXML file and > then they can get any reports they need in the exact format they need. > > Development thoughts: > Create a mechanism to "batch import" a "style template" to all drawings in a > directory. > Create very good documentation to make it easy to learn how to create the > "Style template"
Message 25 of 32
Anonymous

I think you're mistaken here. Do your clients pay for new printers? Not really. Indirectly, yes, but in the end, no. My belief is that technology is an investment, with a ROI that can be approximated if not calculated to the dime. If you don't think you can pay for the time it takes to setup C3D in your office via increased efficiencies, then don't implement it. I'm happy to do it. I FULLY expect to blow the budget on the first three or four jobs we do in C3D. I fully expect to recuperate those losses in the next 10. After that, I'm taking in money, and kicking the competition in the pants as I do it. Am I being naive? Perhaps, but I'm a firm believer that technology is here to make life better, faster, easier, and that sitting still is the surest way to stagnate. If you don't want to serve your clients by improving your design process, I'd be happy to, just tell them to call. (And yes, I'm being purposefully arrogant to make a point....don't get all worked up over it.) -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 26 of 32
Anonymous

This type of attitude is why we're not still riding horses back and forth to work . What all the hoopla boils down to is being able to provide a better value product to the client. The nuts and bolts of how we do this is irrelevant - that's what we have to do to survive. There was a lot of trepidation when edm's and total stations arrived on the scene. How in the heck were people supposed to make money with these expensive systems that did the field work so much faster. Not only did we have to pay for the equipment, but we didn't have as many billable hours to pay for it. We were going to go broke. Well, it didn't work out that way, did it? And not many people are dragging 200 tapes around these days. As civil types, most of you didn't see this same paradigm develop in Architectural Desktop. We're still working with the equivalent of Auto-Architect where plain Autocad entities represented a design and the display of the various elements was a pretty basic process controlled by layer management. What Architectural Desktop does now is radically different - the design model looks like a floor plan when you view it from the top, and it looks like a 3d object when you view it from a 3d point - same doo dads - they just use one object and display it differently depending on how you look at it. If you move a window in the floor plan, the elevations change! The leap to ADT from AA was traumatic for many users because it was so different and becoming ONE with display representation sets was not for the faint hearted. But, if you paid your dues (training, experimenting, etc.), and accepted a new way of working, you could capitalize on this new approach and work better, smarter, faster and not have the design process slowed down by Autocad housekeeping. Who here would want to go back to the old point blocks? And, according to many, this was the worst thing to happen to us when they first appeared. This is what C3D offers - a totally new way of working (and thinking) that does not encumber the designer/drafter with mundane Autocad things but allows them to design and have their output look the same as everyone else's without any additional effort. Everyone moans and groans about CAD Standards and how hard it is to enforce them. Think about everyone in the office doing road profiles and they all look the same in the stack when they're done - no effort on their part is required because that's how they work, based on styles. Clients (at least the ones you want) will use the firm that provides the best value for their project design. That doesn't always mean lower design fees. If your projects are built without all the normal hassles (grade conflicts, wrong labeling, change orders, etc.) and are delivered on time how can they justify another firm where they may have saved a couple of grand on design fees but are paying out much more than that change orders or financing fees because the review process is bogged down due to drafting errors or incomplete plans. Another factor to consider is value engineering. Using a manually controlled process (like we have now) it is not cost effective to make subtle changes in the design because it costs more to make the changes than the client will save and the chance of missing some little piece is not worth the risk. With object based, style driven design tools, an element of the design can occur and the dependent presentations will update automatically and you'll have the peace of mind in knowing that nothing will be missed. Using a fluid approach like C3D (and ADT) provides (or will ) takes the burden of Autocad 'housekeeping' off our shoulders and allows us to design, and massage our designs right up to the last minute, to provide the best design value for the client. C3D is NOT an evolution of LDT, it is a revolutionary new product based on a completely different approach to modeling a design and generating construction documents. The design generates the construction docs as part of the process in a predictable, user definable fashion. If it does not create the 'look' you want, generate your own style(s) to suit your needs. Once done, you get on with keeping your clients, and your bottom line, happy. This has been a long time coming - and the final result is still under development. We shouldn't be making final assessments until we see the whole package. Personally, I think this is the right approach and one I have been promoting for a long time. Like others, I have some reservations about certain aspects, but this will all work out over time and this forum is a great place to make the developers aware of some of our 'on the ground' concerns. It isn't a matter of "Can I afford this new technology" but rather "Can I afford not to use it?". Karl M. Fuls PLS James Wedding wrote: > I think you're mistaken here. Do your clients pay for new printers? Not > really. Indirectly, yes, but in the end, no. > > My belief is that technology is an investment, with a ROI that can be > approximated if not calculated to the dime. If you don't think you can pay > for the time it takes to setup C3D in your office via increased > efficiencies, then don't implement it. I'm happy to do it. I FULLY expect to > blow the budget on the first three or four jobs we do in C3D. I fully expect > to recuperate those losses in the next 10. After that, I'm taking in money, > and kicking the competition in the pants as I do it. > > Am I being naive? Perhaps, but I'm a firm believer that technology is here > to make life better, faster, easier, and that sitting still is the surest > way to stagnate. If you don't want to serve your clients by improving your > design process, I'd be happy to, just tell them to call. > > (And yes, I'm being purposefully arrogant to make a point....don't get all > worked up over it.) >
Message 27 of 32
Anonymous

Karl, > It isn't a matter of "Can I afford this new technology" > but rather "Can I afford not to use it?". I 'may' agree with you as it pertains to an evolved product. However, at this point in time, there are other, more immediate questions the boss needs to ask: Is my staff flexible enough and talented enough to handle the change in production processes? Does the internal office management setup correlate to the way C3D needs to work ? Do I even understand what the new processes will be so I can staff the firm adequately? Who's desk do I put this on? At what point in time does C3D become affordable? (When is there going to be enough functionality in the tool to return invested value ?) Is it a mistake to jump on the bandwagon too early? sc
Message 28 of 32
Anonymous

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you. "Is it a mistake to jump on the bandwagon too early?" That's a decision that no one but you can make. I don't know enough about you or your firm to even try and answer it. All I can suggest is that you stay as current as you can without actually deploying the program, and when something makes you sit up and say, "Hey, we can use that!" then deploy it and consider that to be day one of the learing curve. Every office is different. What works in my office may not work but for another five firms. You dance with the girl that you brought. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous

We 'may' agree to agree With the gaps in what's available right now, I don't see anyone abandoning LDT for C3D today - only the future release of the full product will give everyone the information they need to make that decision. The fit of any software solution into your existing organizational structure is an important concern but firms may have to be flexible enough to possibly meet the software halfway to exploit it's capabilities. I think it's premature to make any type of suitability decision with what we know right now. What we have to do is express our concerns here so the people working on this product can address those concerns. After all, Autodesk wants to sell this so it is in their best interest to offer something that people will accept (read 'buy') and can use to make $$. Technologically advanced does not necessarily mean real world productive, which is the glint of what I've been reading here. On the other hand, simply because a new software package is nothing like what we're used to using isn't a reason to avoid it. It may, or may not, work out in the long run for a specific firm, but we're too early in the process to tell. Let's keep those cards and letters coming in...... Karl Steve Cannon wrote: > Karl, > > >>It isn't a matter of "Can I afford this new technology" >>but rather "Can I afford not to use it?". > > > > I 'may' agree with you as it pertains to an evolved product. However, at > this point in time, there are other, more immediate questions the boss needs > to ask: > > Is my staff flexible enough and talented enough to handle the change in > production processes? Does the internal office management setup correlate > to the way C3D needs to work ? Do I even understand what the new processes > will be so I can staff the firm adequately? > > Who's desk do I put this on? > > At what point in time does C3D become affordable? (When is there going to be > enough functionality in the tool to return invested value ?) > > Is it a mistake to jump on the bandwagon too early? > > sc > >
Message 30 of 32
Anonymous

> Technologically advanced does not necessarily mean real world > productive, which is the glint of what I've been reading here. interesting thought... who needs, or better yet who would work on technologically advanced thing that will not (or at least - is intended to) be real world productive. That sounds more like Baudelaire's "Part pour Part" - Art Just For The Sake Of It - but that was just art, not engineering... do not recall anyone applying that in engineering :) -- Strah @ Langan "Karl Fuls" wrote in message news:403d184d_2@newsprd01... > We 'may' agree to agree > > With the gaps in what's available right now, I don't see anyone > abandoning LDT for C3D today - only the future release of the full > product will give everyone the information they need to make that decision. > > The fit of any software solution into your existing organizational > structure is an important concern but firms may have to be flexible > enough to possibly meet the software halfway to exploit it's capabilities. > > I think it's premature to make any type of suitability decision with > what we know right now. What we have to do is express our concerns here > so the people working on this product can address those concerns. After > all, Autodesk wants to sell this so it is in their best interest to > offer something that people will accept (read 'buy') and can use to make > $$. Technologically advanced does not necessarily mean real world > productive, which is the glint of what I've been reading here. > > On the other hand, simply because a new software package is nothing like > what we're used to using isn't a reason to avoid it. It may, or may not, > work out in the long run for a specific firm, but we're too early in the > process to tell. > > Let's keep those cards and letters coming in...... > > Karl > > Steve Cannon wrote: > > Karl, > > > > > >>It isn't a matter of "Can I afford this new technology" > >>but rather "Can I afford not to use it?". > > > > > > > > I 'may' agree with you as it pertains to an evolved product. However, at > > this point in time, there are other, more immediate questions the boss needs > > to ask: > > > > Is my staff flexible enough and talented enough to handle the change in > > production processes? Does the internal office management setup correlate > > to the way C3D needs to work ? Do I even understand what the new processes > > will be so I can staff the firm adequately? > > > > Who's desk do I put this on? > > > > At what point in time does C3D become affordable? (When is there going to be > > enough functionality in the tool to return invested value ?) > > > > Is it a mistake to jump on the bandwagon too early? > > > > sc > > > > >
Message 31 of 32
Anonymous

Thanks to all contributors for your thoughts, and to some for your musings and ramblings (you know who you are). I must say that I never dreamed where a question or two could take us. As I review the responses, it seems only Doctor Wedding (you never should let on when a burr gets under your saddle to some of us) is willing to put an estimate to our friendly, neighborhood Styles. Does the Silent Majority concur, or are they just busily engaged in creating said Styles and don't have the time to contribute their experiences? -- Don Reichle "King of Work-Arounds" Ifland Engineers, Inc. "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message news:403d2396_3@newsprd01... > > > Technologically advanced does not necessarily mean real world > > productive, which is the glint of what I've been reading here. > > interesting thought... > > who needs, or better yet who would work on technologically > advanced thing that will not (or at least - is intended to) be > real world productive. That sounds more like Baudelaire's > "Part pour Part" - Art Just For The Sake Of It - but that > was just art, not engineering... do not recall anyone applying > that in engineering :) > > -- > Strah @ Langan > > > "Karl Fuls" wrote in message > news:403d184d_2@newsprd01... > > We 'may' agree to agree > > > > With the gaps in what's available right now, I don't see anyone > > abandoning LDT for C3D today - only the future release of the full > > product will give everyone the information they need to make that > decision. > > > > The fit of any software solution into your existing organizational > > structure is an important concern but firms may have to be flexible > > enough to possibly meet the software halfway to exploit it's capabilities. > > > > I think it's premature to make any type of suitability decision with > > what we know right now. What we have to do is express our concerns here > > so the people working on this product can address those concerns. After > > all, Autodesk wants to sell this so it is in their best interest to > > offer something that people will accept (read 'buy') and can use to make > > $$. Technologically advanced does not necessarily mean real world > > productive, which is the glint of what I've been reading here. > > > > On the other hand, simply because a new software package is nothing like > > what we're used to using isn't a reason to avoid it. It may, or may not, > > work out in the long run for a specific firm, but we're too early in the > > process to tell. > > > > Let's keep those cards and letters coming in...... > > > > Karl > > > > Steve Cannon wrote: > > > Karl, > > > > > > > > >>It isn't a matter of "Can I afford this new technology" > > >>but rather "Can I afford not to use it?". > > > > > > > > > > > > I 'may' agree with you as it pertains to an evolved product. However, at > > > this point in time, there are other, more immediate questions the boss > needs > > > to ask: > > > > > > Is my staff flexible enough and talented enough to handle the change in > > > production processes? Does the internal office management setup > correlate > > > to the way C3D needs to work ? Do I even understand what the new > processes > > > will be so I can staff the firm adequately? > > > > > > Who's desk do I put this on? > > > > > > At what point in time does C3D become affordable? (When is there going > to be > > > enough functionality in the tool to return invested value ?) > > > > > > Is it a mistake to jump on the bandwagon too early? > > > > > > sc > > > > > > > > > >
Message 32 of 32
Anonymous

The title is more embarassing than annoying. But hey, I'll live with it. Maybe someday I'll get back to school. Anywho, we're talking this week about out C3D test case, and how we're going to approach it. I'm working with Dave and Dan to prepare a Friday presentation someday in the future (assuming the whole thing doesn't blow up in my face and I have to move to Bismark,) so wish me well. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report