Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backgound mask show black on paperspace

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
bozoli
9716 Views, 21 Replies

Backgound mask show black on paperspace

Hi everyone,

Please help, i just finished installing AutoCAD C3D 2013. And my drawings and designs were done on C3D 2011 AutoCAD, but the problem now is when i open my drawings with C3d 2013 all the text that has background in it shows black in a paper space but on model space is owk, is there a way of resolving this without goiung through all the text settings.

thanx in advance

Bozoli

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rvalimon
in reply to: bozoli

Two things come to mind:

1.  It sounds like you may have to adjust a color in your plot style table editor.  Find out which color in your ACAD 2011 was being used for masking (# 255 maybe) and then go set your screening option for that color in your new ACAD 2013 to the same setting it was in your old ACAD.  The screening option can be located through plot style table (pen assignments) via the plot command.

or,

2.  Open your drawing in your new ACAD.  Select one piece of text that you know is masked.  Right click and scroll down and hit "select similar" - presuming your right click is set like mine which brings up a mini menu.  

Now, all of your masked text should be selected (assuming that some aren't dtext and the others are mtext - but we don't do that, do we?)  Now open your properties toolbox and scroll down to "background mask" and verify that your settings are set to mask your text and the background color is correct, etc.

I hope that helps a little.  I've been playing this game for 20 years and sometimes even these little snafus aren't always easy.

Randy V.

Message 3 of 22
bozoli
in reply to: rvalimon

Randy,

much apprexiated for the input. i dnt have a problem with a normal masked MTEXT, but the problem is all the masked C3D TEXT are the ones troubling me.

I think the problem has to do with the display cause when I print pre-view or literally printing it, everything is fine. See the a JPEG just to indicate what kind of peoblem i am facing. Red text is nomal masked MTEXT and the Black ones are Masked C3D TEXT.

Message 4 of 22
BHFH

Did you explode ithe labels by any chance? Exploding the labels with background mask on gives a solid hatch object of colour 0,0,0-which is black in colour.

Message 5 of 22
bozoli
in reply to: BHFH

Nope i havnt exploded any lables..i Opned the old drawing.

Message 6 of 22
dasindog

I'm having the exact issue. It doesn't seem to make a difference which CTB I use either. Hopefully we can figure this out quickly.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 7 of 22
dasindog

I started a new drawing using the defaul acad.dwt that came with C3D 2013 and everything displays as expected. Obviously there is some kind of hangover from our 2012 template. I guess that's why they suggest not using the same template every year but recreating it by copying all the style from template to template.... Still looking for a solution.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
Message 8 of 22
dasindog
in reply to: dasindog

Sorry to blow up your post. I only have this problem when opening a drawing that was created in v2012. Using my 2012 template, I can start a new drawing in 2013 and this display error does not happen. This is going to be fun.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
Message 9 of 22
punisher
in reply to: dasindog

Having exact same problem with C3D entities in 2012 dwg opened in 2013. Will have to go back to 2012 until project is complete. I hope someone figures this out.

NVIDIA quadro FX 2700M

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 10 of 22
wfberry
in reply to: punisher

Just for the heck of it.  What if you turned your monitor's background from white to black.

Bill

Message 11 of 22
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I have this same issue, Civil 3D labels only.  I've attached some screen caps.  The correct display pic is the way it's appeared in previous releases for me.  I even tried changing the background color in MS to white, same result.

I have opened an SR with Autodesk  07479109

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 12 of 22
punisher
in reply to: wfberry

Label backgrounds turn white. PITA.

Thanks for anything you can come up with.

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 13 of 22
machadt
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Hi All,

This is a know issue that our Dev team is working on.

The current workaround is to uncheck “display plot styles” in the Page Setup dialog.

Hope this will help.

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 14 of 22
jalneal
in reply to: machadt

Alright, my guess is that this happens with people who are using CTB files but not STB files.  I have been pulling my hair out because I had been trying to change all the variables that could remotely be related to the display and NONE seemed to be controlling the masks in Civil3d objects.  Since they show up correctly with show plot display off, it should have occured to me that the plot style tables were the culprit.

So what is happening - The application is using PEN NUMBER 7 (which was the white pen) for the mask. Screening does not affect it, but the sole variable it draws from is object color.  So simple thing to do?  Just make the object color white, or if that goes to black set it really close to white.  

THe biggest problem with this is I rarely know of a company that does not use Color 7.  The appropriate behavior for Civil3d Background masks would be for it to pull the variable for the actual background color. This should be an easy fix - Autodesk, please make a hotfix for this!  In the meantime, what we have found is that we can set the color off-white but with pretty heavy chroma (like red or blue) and set the screening to about 50%.  All the masks are a bit darker, but the text underneath is barely readible.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Message 15 of 22
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: jalneal

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/08/label-background-mask-covers-my-label.html

Although this is not a fix, it's a work around.  We are unable to use this work around in our environment, so we're waiting for a hotfix or SP to implement this version.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 16 of 22
Cadguru42

I noticed the same thing happening and just chalked it up to another bug in 2013.  Glad to see I'm not going crazy.

BTW, has anyone had any problems with the match line mask being solid black even when the color is set to 255 while using the default monochrome.ctb?  I had to make the mask color #254, create a copy of the monochrome.ctb, and set color 254 to plot white.  This was the only way to make the C3D match line mask in paper space not plot solid black for me using the default monochrome.ctb.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 17 of 22
dtdandy
in reply to: Cadguru42

I have a block that is attached to a multileader. In the block, the background color is 250, almost wipeout with our ctb file. It appears fine in model, but in paper, it is solid yellow, which is the color of the leader, whereby you can not read the number in the block. However, it prints out just fine.

Civil 3d 2016

Andy

Message 18 of 22
sherriegarnett
in reply to: machadt

I'm having a very similar situation with Civil 3D 2018. Everything seemed fine when I left Thursday for the weekend, today, however, any Civil 3D Labels, that I've turned the Background Mask On, show up in the layer color, rather than background color, and print as a black rectangle, rather than text with background blocked out. A couple screen shots attached. 

Everything is fine for text or dimensions with the background mask turned on, it's just Civil 3D Labels, specific to this drawing are bearings and distance, and station labels.

Bearing & Distance (XRef'd into Sheet)Bearing & Distance (XRef'd into Sheet)Bearing & Distance Label in the base where it's created) Looks fine ...Bearing & Distance Label in the base where it's created) Looks fine ...Station Label in the base where it's created) Looks fine ...Station Label in the base where it's created) Looks fine ...Station Label (XRef'd into Sheet)Station Label (XRef'd into Sheet)

Message 19 of 22
tmachado
in reply to: sherriegarnett

Hi there, is this coming from an xref? or is in the file itself?

Hope this will help!

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the LIKES button

Tatiana Machado
BIM Manager/ Autodesk Certified Instructor
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 20 of 22
sherriegarnett
in reply to: tmachado

Sorry - I'm not sure I understand your question, or what you hope will help? 

In the base file itself - the labels worked just fine, in the sheet file, where the file was xref'd ... the lables appeared with a solid background the same color as the text, obliterating the text in the labels. I finally resolved it myself, by starting from scratch.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report