Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backfill over a grading.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
seanbuccs
1076 Views, 6 Replies

Backfill over a grading.

See attached object viewer drawing,

As per attached drawing you can see multiple levels/ terraces built in to a mountain.

I did the grading all by poly lines to feature line then just graded the whole perimeter.

As it was all rock that was removed i need to place/ backfill 700mm of fill over the area.

Each terrace has its own feature line.

How do i place the fill on my newly created graded surface?

How would i be best to approach this.

Please help

Sean

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: seanbuccs

I would use a process similar to creating a stripping surface for this.  Create a rectangular polyline large enough to enclose the area at an elevation of -0.7m Use this polyline to build a flat TIN surface.  Create a TIN volume surface using the first surface as the Base, and your design as the Comparison.  The elevations created should be 0.7m higher than the original.  Finally create a TIN surface and paste in the TIN volume surface to get the finished product.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

Is there a difference in the end result between this method and simply copying the surface and raising by 0.7m??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 7
seanbuccs
in reply to: neilyj666

If i copy and raise the surface by 700mm will i then be able to  edit that surface to create low points for surface water runoff?

By raising the surface  i need the exact volume after the i put in the low points.

Ok so to sum it up i need to create another surface  higher than the blasted rock surface.

Therefore are you guys telling me not to use the grading tool for this operation.

Message 5 of 7
sboon

Copying the surface and then editing the copy is certainly an option, and probably the simplest one but if you make changes to the original design surface then they may not be reflected in the copy.

My process is more cumbersome but also totally dynamic.  Adding data to the adjustment surface at different elevations will update the final product and will automatically interpolate the depth of fill over the rock.

A third process that might be easier would be to create a new empty surface, paste the design rock surface into that, and then use the editing commands to raise the copy and add data to create low points etc.  It's still dynamic to the original, and the editing would likely be easier.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

Copying the surface and then editing the copy is certainly an option, and probably the simplest one but if you make changes to the original design surface then they may not be reflected in the copy.

My process is more cumbersome but also totally dynamic.  Adding data to the adjustment surface at different elevations will update the final product and will automatically interpolate the depth of fill over the rock.

A third process that might be easier would be to create a new empty surface, paste the design rock surface into that, and then use the editing commands to raise the copy and add data to create low points etc.  It's still dynamic to the original, and the editing would likely be easier.

I'd concur that this dynamic method is an option - I use it regularly to create base of soil and formation models. 

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza

@seanbuccs wrote:

If i copy and raise the surface by 700mm will i then be able to  edit that surface to create low points for surface water runoff?

By raising the surface  i need the exact volume after the i put in the low points.

Ok so to sum it up i need to create another surface  higher than the blasted rock surface.

Therefore are you guys telling me not to use the grading tool for this operation.

The timbre of those last 2 lines sound like a completely different writer - fascinating.

I say 0.7 X area and walk away

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report