Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUILD Selection sets

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2111 Views, 10 Replies

BUILD Selection sets

I am just now switching to Civil 3D from a longtime use of LDD. I really, really love the build selection set command. I think someone else commented on the absence of it in an earlier blog. Is it still not in Civil 3D 2011? Any suggs?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

I missed it for a while (used LDD and it's predecessors for a long time).Now I don't even think about it. Things I now use:

SelectSimilar (right-click menu when you've selected something)

QuickSelect (on the Properties Palette)

FILTER - Command

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Well, I sure wish they would add it to future versions. Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
Jeff_M

Feel free to add your name and comments to the wishlist item:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Wishes/Selection-set-utility/td-p/2563826

There more people who ask for things, the more likely they are to be at least looked at.

EESignature
Message 5 of 11
Hidden_Brain

i used to be a big fan of selection set (SS command) in Land Desktop, and i have always wanted to know how i can do a selection like this without it:

select all text in layer XX, which have a ROMANS text style, a text height of 12 units, and is set to color 1.

i guess you can probably do this by one of the techniques (or combination thereof) that you mentioned before; if you can share the trick, it would be a big help.

Message 6 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Using FILTER, after creating the filter (which can be saved for future use) you are prompted to make a selection. At that point ALL should select all pertinent objects.316i8E7718F62E0569F6

EESignature
Message 7 of 11
bf
Advocate

I'm with him....it's still not as good as the LDD build selection set..

Message 8 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

@youngEIT wrote:

i used to be a big fan of selection set (SS command) in Land Desktop, and i have always wanted to know how i can do a selection like this without it:

select all text in layer XX, which have a ROMANS text style, a text height of 12 units, and is set to color 1.

i guess you can probably do this by one of the techniques (or combination thereof) that you mentioned before; if you can share the trick, it would be a big help.

And this very soon:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Wishes/Selection-set-utility/m-p/2755066#M6291

EESignature
Message 9 of 11
Hidden_Brain

nice!! i know i will be looking forward to that!

Message 10 of 11
Sinc

And now, it's here!

We went ahead and made the BuildSelectionSet command available in all four modules of the Sincpac-C3D, so it's available as long as you have at least one module.  (In other words, it is not part of the "free" functionality.)

Sinc
Message 11 of 11
Sinc

@Jeff_M wrote:

I missed it for a while (used LDD and it's predecessors for a long time).Now I don't even think about it. Things I now use:

SelectSimilar (right-click menu when you've selected something)

QuickSelect (on the Properties Palette)

FILTER - Command

This thread prompted Jeff to add the BuildSelectionSet command to the Sincpac-C3D.

At first, I was thinking like him, that with SelectSimilar and other options, there wasn't much need for BuildSelectionSet.  But now that I've had this command for a couple of weeks, I can't believe how often I've used it.  It's amazing how useful it is, even in Civil 3D.

Thanks Jeff!

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report