Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLOCK scaling in model space

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mcloughlin
1698 Views, 7 Replies

BLOCK scaling in model space

This is probably some damned "style" issue, but I have a block for an iron pipe monument.  I have a drawing at 1"=30'.  In Model Space, I insert my block, setting its scale at 30.  The block appears in the drawing.

Just for fun, I LIST it to check its scaling.  Instead of saying "30," as I might have expected, the Scale listings say "360.00," which seems somewhat cumbersome given the situation (see appended image). Similarly, if the block is inserted at a 40 scale, it is listed at "480.00."  

How do I set Civil 3D 2014 so that when entities are listed in model space, the list readout gives their simple scale rather than some multiple thereof?  

Thanks.  

BLOCK scale listing in Model Space 26 Mar 2014.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ccoles
in reply to: mcloughlin

Check your 'units' settings. Civil 3D does some strange things if the 'units' settings is for inches and the drawing settings are for feet. It loooks like the drawing the block is in may have been set for inches and the drawing your inserting them into is set for feet. Civil 3D is automatically adjusting the block scale to accout for that.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 8
wfberry

Perhaps you may have a previous Architectural version file.  12 (12"=1') x 30 = 360.

This happens quite frequently.

Bill

Message 4 of 8
mcloughlin
in reply to: ccoles

Well, my Units are feet, and I have no Architectural settings. I don't know what's going on.
Message 5 of 8
ccoles

Sorry, let me try to be a bit clearer. Check the units setting of your block. If you look at the block information, the 'Insunits' is set to inches, probably from within the block definition. Right below it is the block scaling that Civil 3D is applying automatically, 0.08, which is a truncated equivalent to 1/12. Then, Civil 3D needs to boost the scale to 360 to get the desired visual 30 scale you want (30 x 12).

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 6 of 8
kcobabe

I think what both of the other users are talking about is.  You have to check the AutoCAD settings and make sure it's set to feet.  Then go into Prospector and the settings tab and check the Civil 3D drawing settings.  Next you will want to check the units for the block.  On most of my C3D blocks I set the block units to unitless.  It will read exactly the way I built it and I have never had an issue with the way other parts of the object read.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 7 of 8
ccoles
in reply to: kcobabe

Only one caveat with the 'unitless' setting is to go to 'options' and, under 'user preferences', set the Insertion scale to default to 'Feet' if the units are set to unitless. Out-of-the-box Civil 3D has this set to inches and that can also cause the same problem, as I found out the hard way many moons ago. 

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 8
mcloughlin
in reply to: ccoles

Ccoles saved me. That was the issue. Many thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report