Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM Coordinator for AutoCAD Civil 3D / Revit Structure Now Available

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
scott.sheppard
4386 Views, 33 Replies

BIM Coordinator for AutoCAD Civil 3D / Revit Structure Now Available

There is a new technology preview on Labs:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/bim_coordinator/

Please give this a try and share your experience of coordinating your coordinate systems between AutoCAD Civil 3D and Revit Structure. The team is collecting feedback from the 2012 user base. You can email reply to this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
Neilw_05
in reply to: cyndycyndycyndy

I don't know if this is a factor as I haven't used the tool, but when snapping to points or objects to align things, be aware that if the objects have elevations then the Z values will influence the alignment and cause a skewing effect in the results. If you use a Z point filter at zero when snapping to the objects you can eliminate the skewing effect.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 22 of 34

Yes precision is important when you are picking your points. The workflow I show in the video is where I have positioned the 2D floorplan in Civil 3D and at also the correct z height [Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.png@01CBC91B.8F0C7790][Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image003.png@01CBC91B.8F0C7790] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: twitter.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: youtube.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: flickr.png][Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: linkedin.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: facebook.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:5DA04EA3-4286-42AF-A91F-6C9EF12FFEC6] Jack Strongitharm Transportation Industry Solutions Manager Engineering, Natural Resources & Infrastructure Autodesk Ltd One Discovery Place Columbus Drive Farnborough Hampshire GU14 0NZ Direct +44 7899898010 Fax +44 1252456601 [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Adsk_logo_4_sig_v03_crop.gif] ________________________________ Autodesk Limited Registered Office: One Discovery Place, Columbus Drive, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 0NZ Registered in England and Wales, No. 1839239
Message 23 of 34

Yes precision is important when you are picking your points. The workflow I show in the video is where I have positioned the 2D floorplan in Civil 3D and at also the correct z height I personally wouldn't be snapping to just a survey drawing [Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.png@01CBC91B.8F0C7790][Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image003.png@01CBC91B.8F0C7790] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: twitter.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: youtube.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: flickr.png][Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: linkedin.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: facebook.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:5DA04EA3-4286-42AF-A91F-6C9EF12FFEC6] Jack Strongitharm Transportation Industry Solutions Manager Engineering, Natural Resources & Infrastructure Autodesk Ltd One Discovery Place Columbus Drive Farnborough Hampshire GU14 0NZ Direct +44 7899898010 Fax +44 1252456601 [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Adsk_logo_4_sig_v03_crop.gif] ________________________________ Autodesk Limited Registered Office: One Discovery Place, Columbus Drive, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 0NZ Registered in England and Wales, No. 1839239
Message 24 of 34

I was snapping to 2D points.  Unless your telling me that OSNAP doesn't work anymore, I don't see why snapping to 2D points is a problem.

Cyndy Davenport
Civil BIM Professional & Enthusiast
Contributing Author to Mastering Civil 3D
Decades of Experience
Message 25 of 34
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Neilw_05

Jack/All. Firstly I'm not a Revit user and am only following the input from others here so any pointers would be usefull.

We have been using the BIM Coordinator between Civil3d & Revit for a while now and we seem to get problems in positioning the data after importing the MXL into Revit on most projects requiring manual positioning and rotation of linked drawings.

Obviously I (in Civil3D) always use true coordinates in my models based on 0,0. Most of our models are located either in OS Grid or Site Local grid.

The first time we used this it worked fine apart from the Elevation being incorrect (My fault), the second time with the corrected level it didn't seem to update the level in revit but since we imported the architects model into Revit the coordinate system seems to have gone wrong.

Could the architects model coordinate system be effecting / overwriting the Structural coordinates without human interaction?

We also seem to get issues when we import the system more than once. Can this only be done only once in the project cycle or can a coordinate system be changed at anytime?

Simmilarly, when a project has been already modeled in RevitS and we import the information the model comes in rotated, we have tried project / true north and shared/centre to centre to no avail. Any Ideas here?

I have read online for manualy doing this creating a master file for the coordinate system and importing the coordinate system from this to the other models in Revit. Is this a prefered method to fix the corrdinate system and syncronising to the master document, does it make a difference?

I am wondering if we should be importing the Coordinator file prior to any modelling but it is highly possible that most of the above is actually caused by improper import process of the drawing etc. into revit or points which Revit won't like from civil3D.

Can we have a step by step guide in PDF format for the process as well as some do's and don'ts if there are any for the setting of points in Civil3d / Revit.

M.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 26 of 34

Hard to say really Mike as this tool only sets a shared coordinate system in Revit and nothing more. What you select in Civil and Revit is down to yourself, with level of detail you need to be extra careful to what you pick You can import multiple shared coordinate systems and it will affect the height based on the item you select, so other data not based on the controlled datum may not move. I am not a Revit guy so I am not 100% sure Maybe screen record what you are doing so its easier to see where the problem is occurring Civil regards [Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.png@01CBC91B.8F0C7790][Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image003.png@01CBC91B.8F0C7790] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: twitter.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: youtube.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: flickr.png][Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: linkedin.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: facebook.png] [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:5DA04EA3-4286-42AF-A91F-6C9EF12FFEC6] Jack Strongitharm Transportation Industry Solutions Manager Engineering, Natural Resources & Infrastructure Autodesk Ltd One Discovery Place Columbus Drive Farnborough Hampshire GU14 0NZ Direct +44 7899898010 Fax +44 1252456601 [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Adsk_logo_4_sig_v03_crop.gif] ________________________________ Autodesk Limited Registered Office: One Discovery Place, Columbus Drive, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 0NZ Registered in England and Wales, No. 1839239
Message 27 of 34

Any timeline on when this will be available for Revit/ACAD 2013?  

Message 28 of 34
vivhowe
in reply to: jack.strongitharm

I am trying to import a Civil 3D surface in to Revit Structure 2013. I have tried the 'Integration with AutoCad Civil 3D extension' and importing contours. The Civil 3D surface contains numerous breaklines for kerbs etc none of which are reflected in the Revit toposurface. The only accurate way I have found to import the surface is to form an Autocad 3D Solid from the Civil 3D surface and import this via a modelled in place mass component. Am I missing something?

Message 29 of 34
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: vivhowe

Nope sadly you are not missing something, Revit will not hold the surface data from Civil3D. It rebuilds based on the imported information and its own program logic.

Whether you use points, contours or Triangles it will only generate a surface using points from these objects.

I think you have found the only way of obtaining a true object model from the Civil3D surface, we have tried numerous methods and have not obtained a suitable result to date.

For my intrest as we just gave up on surfaces in revit..

What workflow are you using for 3d solid and import to revit, can you section and aquire true level data from the imported solid?

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 30 of 34
scott.sheppard
in reply to: Neilw_05

The technology preview will end on January 12. Thanks to all who participated.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 31 of 34

Due to strong positive labs feedback, we are actively working on a plan to graduate the Autodesk Labs BIM Coordinator for AutoCAD Civil 3D / Revit technology preview to the AutoCAD Civil 3D Productivity Tools site on the Autodesk Subscription Center. Our expectation is to have versions for both the R2012 and R2013 platforms prior to the end of January 2013. Announcement of availability will be via various Autodesk Civil Infrastructure blogs including From the Ground Up, BIM on the Rocks, Being Civil, and It's Alive in the Lab. Stay tuned.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 32 of 34
vivhowe
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Mike In answer to your questions :- Sectioning is pretty good, clear cut lines but you do need to keep the 'Far clip offset' small or you pick up a lot of projection lines. In spite of this some projection lines do appear but can be turned into invisible lines using the line work tool. Using the 'spot level' tool you can give levels at points on plan, in section it does not work as well, with the leader seemingly snapping to triangulation points at the ends of the 3D triangulation faces. The workflow I have used for the 3D solid is as follows:- Form the surface in Civil 3D. Extract 3D triangles from the surface. Using a lisp routine, I picked up from an online forum, convert the 3D faces to a 3D solid ( The routine extrudes each triangle to a preset level to form a 3D solid then joins the individual solids together.) To make a cleaner 3D section view in Revit I have exported structural elements out of Revit as 3D solids imported them into the 3D ground solid .dwg and subtracted them out of the 3D solid which gives a clear edge when cut. I have attached some screenshots as an example. This is the first time for a good few years I have dabbled in surfaces in Revit, having been assured that things had improved, seems as though, once again, the individuals spreading these rumours don't actually use the software. Regards Viv Viv Howe, Senior CAD Technician Skanska Technology Ltd. Bridgend Office tel: direct +44(0) 1656 869632 fax: +44(0) 1656 869659 e-mail: viv.howe@skanska.co.uk :mailto:nviv.howe> web: www.skanska.co.uk------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------- Skanska Technology Ltd. Registered in England Registration no: 932158 Registered office: Maple Cross House, Denham Way, Maple Cross, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire WD3 9SW ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------- Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should notify us immediately, and destroy this message. If you or your employer do not consent to Internet E-mail messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------:mailto:nviv.howe>
Message 33 of 34
ryandeane7
in reply to: scott.sheppard

This is great news! Please please please tell me that it will work with C3D 2013...? 🙂 Thanks!
Message 34 of 34
vivhowe
in reply to: ryandeane7

If you are referring to the method described of importing Civil 3D surfaces into Revit the answer is yes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report