Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM Coordinator for AutoCAD Civil 3D / Revit Structure Now Available

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
scott.sheppard
4387 Views, 33 Replies

BIM Coordinator for AutoCAD Civil 3D / Revit Structure Now Available

There is a new technology preview on Labs:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/bim_coordinator/

Please give this a try and share your experience of coordinating your coordinate systems between AutoCAD Civil 3D and Revit Structure. The team is collecting feedback from the 2012 user base. You can email reply to this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
DMFACER
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Will this shared coordinate system data follow through into Navisworks?

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
Message 3 of 34
jmatthei

This looks like a step in the right direction.  What would make it even better is if the files would push automatically without requiring the architect to save another dwg every so often--keeping a dynamic link between the civils and the architects.

On another question, your video showed a C3D modeled site.  How did you model all the materials?  Are they solids?

Finally, does the transfer work the other way too?  How well can Revit view our site data?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 4 of 34
keithw

Will this work inside of the 2013 product line? if so were you looking to post a sample data set?

Watching the video it looks like what we have been waiting for, in the near future is it going to plug into AIM???

Good job guys keep up the great work.

Keith

Message 5 of 34
valleyman

I am a Chinese engineer.

I found this tool counldn't be used on c3d 2012 simplified Chinese. Indeed I couldn't see the icon.

But it's run normal on revit 2012 simplified Chinese.

Would you please help me to solve the problem?

Message 6 of 34
jack.strongitharm
in reply to: DMFACER

Yes one of the key requirements here was that the Revit model was positioned correctly in Navisworks aswell as back into the AutoCAD environment.

Watch the video as it shows this in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSxbv7QPero

Civil regards

Jack Strongitharm

Industry Solutions Manager

Message 7 of 34

Interoperability is very important with our own products moving forward as to why this tool was made available in this form now.

The site in Civil 3D was modelled as one surface using breaklines etc.

Then I created separate surfaces for each area and pasted in the master design surface and then limited the surface by a boundary, in most cases the linework I used to create the surface originally.  So I was then able to set a separate texture etc.  Also always dynamic.

This method has improved much more in 2013 release of Civil 3D with automatic surface boundaries.

So not solids, just normal Civil 3D TIN based surfaces.

For bringing this data into Revit, watch this video as it shows the workflow with either your TIN surface triangles or contours.  The Revit Toposurface is a point surface and does not support breakline edge definition, so is not as accurate as Civil 3D, but is sufficient to design your Revit model in context, sections etc.

Click here

Civil regards

Jack Strongitharm

Message 8 of 34
jack.strongitharm
in reply to: keithw

We are looking at the feedback given for the 2012 release first.

So more feedback the better, submitted through the Labs feedback system

Jack Strongitharm

Message 9 of 34

Hi,

We add the toolbox entries explicitly for English version of C3D Toolbox (apologies – there was a limited time to write the installer). However, you should be able to use it via one of the following 2 workarounds:

1)      If you want it in Toolbox, we add additional toolbox entry as: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Data\Toolbox\ToolBoxCfg_AC_AcCoordSysExport.xml. All you need to do is to copy the xml file to whatever the Simplified Chinese locale equivalent for “enu” is (I think it’s “chs”).

2)      To use it without Toolbox, run NETLOAD command and load (typical location for Windows 7😞 C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2012\Autodesk Consulting\RVTDWGCoordsSyncAcadClient\AcRVTDWGCoordsSyncAcadClient.dll. After this, command AcCoordSysExport should be available to type in C3D command window.

BTW, this solution is applicable to all non-enu locales…

Hope this helps.

Miro

Miroslav Schonauer

Solution Architect / Senior Technical Consultant

Autodesk Consulting

Message 10 of 34

This looks like a great product, but nobody I know can get it installed correctly, it appears in the installed program list, but nothing appears within either civil 3d or Revit.

Message 11 of 34
barryf

Our site data is NAD83, coordinate system is 3tm centered on 114west (from Map's coordinate system library). There's a scale factor (each survey monument has it's own value, example 0.99973) to bring teh mapping data to ground rather than working on the mapping grid.

To share the coordinate system from civil 3d to revit, is the scale factor used in this or is the building placed on the mapping grid coordinate system? Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 34
miroslav_schonauer
in reply to: barryf

The tool works only for fully cartesian mapped systems in both products (ie current UCS in Acad and Shared Coords in Revit) - nothing to do with GIS systems.

Sorry 😞

Message 13 of 34

I suspect you may be trying to use it on 2013 (or 2011) products rather than 2012? Otherwise, nobody else had any similar problems apart from the non-ENU Civil3D Toolbox issue resolved in another thread above.

The only other thing may be Windows user privileges - shouldn't really matter, but if you ensure that you have admin rights when installing the tool, it would at least eleimnate any remote possibility on that being the problem...

Pls try these 2 suggestions and let us know if it helps.

Message 14 of 34
barryf

I have not actually tried this, this is more theory and a process to bring our site mapping and new building together. As described our site (intn'l airport) is captured on a mapping plane. To fit the building, we'd take the site, a portion with the building on it, use one monument's scale factor, scale that to ground, then use those as our ground coordinates to fit the building. Yes should work. Those however would be ground values, not the mapping grid value we'd see with a GPS. I'll speak to our survey team see what they are using. Cheers and thanks.Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 34

I am using both revit and civil 3d 2012 on a windows 7 platform with full administrator rights

Message 16 of 34

Any timeline on when this will be available for Revit/ACAD 2013?  

Thanks,

Angelo

http://www.cadence-studio.com
Message 17 of 34
JstorrArch

Can we use this tool to locate muliple buildings together in Revit? We hoped to do that, but are hitting a wall.

We have multiple firms working on mulitple buildings on a site. The coordinates are all driven by a survey file supplied by the client. We located our buildilng on the site using this plugin by snapping to grid points that are present in all of our files. The buildings were located properly when we exported to Civil 3D, but when we try to link them together we get the "The document and imported instance do not share the same coordinate system. Default center-to-center positioning will be used" error. We used the same shared coordinate file created by this plugin for both models...so it should be using the same coordinate system correct?

Are we missing something? Or trying to do the impossible?

Thanks!

Message 18 of 34
ryandeane7

This tool looks to be excellent but unfortunately I cant use it because it's for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and not 2013... I read on another forum that it would be released for 2013 "in coming weeks" but that was back in March.

Does anyone have an idea of when the release will happen for Civil 3D 2013?  

Message 19 of 34
scott.sheppard
in reply to: ryandeane7

As far as I know, the team collected the feedback that they needed from the 2012 technology preview. I don’t have any additional technology previews for this technology on my Autodesk Labs road map.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 34

Used this to link a Civil 3D file into Revit.  Using osnaps in AutoCAD to make sure the points were selected accurately, in the resulting XML file, my origin points were off by a few 10ths and my angle to true north was off by 2 degrees.  When  I linked the drawing file of course its location reflected this.  Tried it over a few times with same results.  Quit when I was approaching the definition of insanity.

Cyndy Davenport
Civil BIM Professional & Enthusiast
Contributing Author to Mastering Civil 3D
Decades of Experience

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report