Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average level within an area

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
6001 Views, 16 Replies

Average level within an area

I have been able to undertake this with other software and have desperatly tried to find this same function in Civil 3D but am really struggling and therefore would appreciate some help.

Is there a command that returns the avaerage level of any particular surface within a specified area, for instance if we have a generated a large surface and then draw a square in  the middle of the surface, can it calcualte the average level within the square only?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Anonymous

You can create a Cropped Surface.  Once the cropped surface is created you can go to the Surface Properties, Statistics tab, and it will give you the Mean Elevation.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 17
mathewkol
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

[...and it will give you the Mean Elevation....

Which of course is not average, but close enough?  Only the OP can know for sure.  I know of no way to get the average elevation in a surface without a 3rd party application.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 17
sboon
in reply to: mathewkol

I found a definition of Mean in Wikipedia.  Matt, are you saying that the value reported by the software is not the arithmetic mean?  If not then what is it?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

mean (mn)

n.
1. Something having a position, quality, or condition midway between extremes; a medium.
2. A number that typifies a set of numbers, such as a geometric mean or an arithmetic mean.
3. The average value of a set of numbers.
Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 17
mathewkol
in reply to: sboon

There are different ways to calculate mean.  Civil 3D doesn't state whether it's arithmetic mean or not, but that is moot.  I found this in the help file.  In this case mean is average.  in my original post I was thinking median.

Mean Elevation

Displays the mean or average elevation of all the points on the surface.

Matt Kolberg
Message 7 of 17
sboon

If I understand this correctly then for a Grid surface the reported value would be correct, but not for a TIN - unless the surface points were evenly distributed across the area.

Thinking about this some more - if you could generate a grid of surface elevation labels, then extract all of those values then the mean of those would be what the OP is looking for.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 17
mathewkol

I have a surface with 4 points, 20,20,20,2.  Add them and divide by 4 you get 15.5.  My Civil 3D surface Mean is 14.  I assume the calculation takes surface area into account??  I don't know what math is used for the surface mean elevation.

At any rate, the OP is going to need to determine the nature of Civil 3D's calculation and see if that meets his needs.

Matt Kolberg
Message 9 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

That's good information to know Matt.

Todd Rogers
Message 10 of 17
sboon

The ideal calculation for a TIN surface would probably be a weighted average, based on the elevation at the centroid of each of the triangles and their surface area.  Matt, what happens with your example if you calculate it that way?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 17
mathewkol

Thanks, hence why I brought it up.  Puzzled me when I first discovered it.  I have never been asked for the value so I never really pursued it further.

Matt Kolberg
Message 12 of 17
mathewkol

I'm not sure Steve.  I'm not sure about how to calculate that.

Matt Kolberg
Message 13 of 17
sboon

If you draw lines from the three vertices of a triangle to the midpoints of the opposite edges the intersection of those lines will be the centroid.  To get the weighted average you calcualate the sum of:

Elevation at the centroid of each triangle * (Surface area of the triangle / Total area of the Surface)

14*(50/100) + 20*(50/100) = 17

Clipboard01.png

The result can be affected by the orientation of the TIN.  If I flip faces then I get a different answer.

Clipboard02.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 14 of 17
Hidden_Brain

i have a surface with 415 points, Civil 3D reports the mean surface elevation as 373.172'. when i extract the points, i get 373.220' as the arithmatic mean. close, but not spot on. i remember seeing here on the forums someone mention how Civil 3D calculates it, but cannot seem to find it at the moment.

surf1.png

surf2.png

surf3.png

*EDIT: realized after inserting the images that they may be barely readable. the images are attached.

Message 15 of 17
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

also, in surf3.png, it may appear that all the data rows under "Position Z" column were not selected when calculating the mean, which is not the case. the mean reported is for all the Z values (415 values), which can be seen in surf3.png under the "Count", beside the "Average".

Message 16 of 17
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

i seemed to have found it, Christopher in his blog post mentions the mean grade/slope, and how it is calculated as a weighted average (i assume weighted average over triangle area). not sure if the mean elevation is the same way:

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/2009/11/average-surface-slope.html

Message 17 of 17
7eeeshan

Thank you 😘

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report