Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automaticly Inserting Blocks to Cogo Points

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
andy7918
3417 Views, 10 Replies

Automaticly Inserting Blocks to Cogo Points

When creating a drawing from field surveyed data i start with a text file, insert cogo points and start drafting. My question is there any way to insert a common block to all cogo points within a given paramenter? For example could i insert a block centered on the individual cogo points that were numbered 1-100? Right now i insert my block scale it and copy with a base point to all points. This would be a huge time saver if i could just insert all of the blocks, select them all and scale them all to whatever they need to be.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
doni49
in reply to: andy7918

I see two possibilities:

1. Create a Point Style that displays the point using your block instead of the usual tick mark.  Then create Point Group that uses that style.  The Point Group needs to be configured to include all points with the appropriate description.  Now this method will result in something that shows the correct symbol at the correction locations.  But they won't truly be "blocks".  When you list them, they'll be Points.
  2. Export your point list to a txt file which you'll use to create a script file that will place the block at each point.  This will give you true blocks at the right locations.  But it's more complicated to set up as you have to understand script files.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 11
Jay_B

Yes, start with creating some "Point Styles" which include your custom blocks as the point marker.
Then move on to "Point Groups" and "Description Keys". It helps if your point file includes a description
field to separate various points such as trees, roads and ground shots.
If you wish to have civil 3d draw the surveyed linework this is done using a "Survey Database" which
Will automatically import the linework as "Survey Figures".
Search the Help for these terms and work through the "Points"and "Survey" Tutorials that come with the
Software. http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2014/ENG/filesCTU/GUID-B6CF98F9-FF6F-4FF5-8022-60EB21A611A7.htm

Also search youtube as there are several helpful c3d videos found here.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 11
mathewkol

First thing I would say is use the point styles; no they aren't blocks, they are better.

If you truly need blocks, follow the advice above then explode the points twice, you'll have blocks. No script necessary.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 11
odoshi

Hi Andy,

If you would like a block inserted on Points by a number range, you should create a Point Style containing the block and then a Point Group defined by the number range. If the new Point Group is the primary group for the point, the points will use the point style with your block.

Then explode. Twice.

Then delete the Point Group definition, or move it below the _All Points group, so it is no longer used, and re-import points from file to get the default "X" markers again.

If you are on 2013 or higher, you could check out our app, which extracts the blocks from the Point objects, rather than exploding them. Just search out "Exact Point Blocks" in the Autodesk Exchange App store.

HTH,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 6 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: odoshi

And yet another option: Make the block a part of the point label style, not the point style. If you do this you will be able to move the symbol away from the point location if you need to.

But take the previous advice and use point groups and description keys.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 11
andy7918
in reply to: doni49

I think the script file would be best, as these points need to stay in a cogo format (cant explode them) for export at a later date if necessary. Going through the effort of creating another point with the marker i want on a different layer to be exploded in order to give my blocks at the points i want seems like just as much effort as what i do now. Do you have a good reference for creating a script file to do this? I could easly do a save as of my text file with the points 1-100.

Message 8 of 11
mathewkol

The ewxplode option would take an axtra 60 seconds, really not that long.

1. Import the points.
  2. Explode twice.
  3. Cut the blocks to the clipboard.
  4. Import the points again.
  5. Paste the blocks back in.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 11
Dylandavid

1. lock points
  2. Explode once
  3. turn point and label style to <none>  turning them completely off (otherwise you can keep re exploding the locked points creating duplicates)
  4. explode remaining blocks once more, move to appropriate layer etc
  5. Turn your points back on with regular label style

Message 10 of 11
Naasih.MallickCZBNY
in reply to: Jay_B

I have Cogo points (205 points) and I want to insert a block reference on those cogo points .... the cogo points must stay... how can I do this.

and if i have block reference (over 500 points) and I and the add a another block reference on that point how do i do it by keeping both block references?

Message 11 of 11

Hi Naasih,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
There's a good way >>>Here<<<.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report