Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Linework

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
greenju17
824 Views, 13 Replies

Automatic Linework

Hello, I currently set up out civil 3d to do auto linework, which went really smooth. I have 2 issues that I need some help with. The first issue is with my points. When I go to Import Survey Data to insert the points and do auto linework, it doesnt insert the points in the right location (northing is .86 off and easting is 1.36 off on every point). But if i were to insert the points by going to Points and clicking Import, they are right on?? Not sure why this is happening? And second, who do I get symbols to automaticly come in when I insert the points? (power poles, hydrants, inlets, etc.). Thanks for any help
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Jay_B
in reply to: greenju17

Are you working in US Survey Feet? The Survey Database Default is International Feet & must be changed and then a "Survey Settings" File can be saved with all your Survey Database Import Settings set the way you want them and everyone can be mapped to the same Survey Settings file.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 14
DaveM
in reply to: Jay_B

Also for the symbols you want to investigate description keys. Description keys handle the layer, symbol, rotation , & scale of all the points that are imported into a dwg.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 4 of 14
BrianHailey

HERE are the steps to change the default settings when creating a new survey database.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 14
_Hathaway

As Dmartin stated you will need to setup your description keys with your coding and you blocks to get symbols to show up. However, you will need them to do more than just show up. You will want them all on the appropriate layer. The symbols are now part of your points so they act much differently than pre Civil3d days and it takes quite a lot of setup (I'm still adjusting ours monthly after 3 years) to get it the way you want.
Message 6 of 14
greenju17

So I set up a few description key sets in order to get the correct symbols to show up, but I'm having a problem getting them to work? 

Example: I'm trying to get a symbol for Power Poles to show up.  I shot each power pole as PP1 (PP1 B for begining, PP1 for each pole inbetween, and PP1 E for the last one).  So I set up a description key for PP1, and when I got to add description keys to my points, nothing shows up? Just my normal point symbol, not what I want/set it to?  What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Message 7 of 14
DaveM

You want the desc key to read "PP*", the astrix states that it does not matter what comes next accept it. Note Desc keys are cap sensitive.
Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 8 of 14
DaveM
in reply to: DaveM

Take a look at this link for additional info http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/topichead_0.htm,topicNumber=CUGd30e1...
Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 9 of 14
DaveM
in reply to: DaveM

Sorry that link went to the default page, try this link http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-8AA5D606-5D3D-49F3-B34B-05FA834A39DE.htm
Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 10 of 14
greenju17

Ok, I got it to change, but it still is the default symbol I have for all my points (its just a "X"), it doesnt change to my Power Pole Symbol?  I tried everything but it will not change.

Message 11 of 14
Jay_B

Have you created a Power Pole Point Style yet which usses your PP block and then referenced that Point Style in the Desription Key Set for your PP description?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 12 of 14
greenju17

Yes, I created a point style for my Power Poles, and when I created my description keys, I have that style set for my PP*. 

Message 13 of 14
DaveM

In order to run desc keys on points already in the drawing, select all the points, right click and choose run desc keys.
Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 14 of 14
DaveM

If you want to post the drawing, I will gladly take a look at you keys.
Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report