Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk ignorance for Windows 8 support

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ihab.arahim
1815 Views, 9 Replies

Autodesk ignorance for Windows 8 support

Hello,

It was a big problem for me since I started using AuoCAD Civil 3D 2013 on my windows 8. It is crashing a few minutes after opened. When I run it in the mode "Civil 3d as Autocad" everything works ok, but I can only visualise and plot the drawing and move the labels.

First, I thought that I had a problem with my PC so I tried googling this issue, updating my version to SP1 but nothing got fixed. Throught my research on the web It seems that mostly of Windows 8 users are facing problems using Autodesk products on their computers especially whem my co-worker was facing such a similar issue on running both of AutoCAD 2012 and Revit 2013 on his windows 8 and I can not describe how much did we got annoyed for such problem and the circumstances for not able to complete our work tasks using Autodesk products.

The point is how Autodesk is going to give a final solution to Windows 8 incomptability issues. Will be there anything further or it is just Windows 8 users are forced to leave their operating system and back for older one without any incomptaibilty issues like Windows 7?

I hope that Autodesk development could find solutions as soons as possible.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: ihab.arahim

Whilst it's a 99% certainty that the 2014 family of products will be supported on Win 8, I wouldn't be too sure about previous releases.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 10
rkmcswain

@ihab.arahim wrote:

Hello,

It was a big problem for me since I started using AuoCAD Civil 3D 2013 on my windows 8.  

That is understandable, since Civil 3D 2013 is not supported on Windows 8.

Windows 8 Support for Autodesk products

Civil 3D 2013 System Requirements

Generally speaking, commecial applications such as AutoCAD are not designed for operating systems that don't exist at the time of their release. Autodesk has historically released new versions (compatible with current O/S) each spring, and history also tells us that they generally do not issue mid stream updates that make current versions compatible with new O/S.

It's good practice to plan your computer and O/S purchases based on the apps you need to run, not the other way around

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

@ihab.arahim wrote:

Hello,

It was a big problem for me since I started using AuoCAD Civil 3D 2013 on my windows 8.  

That is understandable, since Civil 3D 2013 is not supported on Windows 8.

Windows 8 Support for Autodesk products

Civil 3D 2013 System Requirements

Generally speaking, commecial applications such as AutoCAD are not designed for operating systems that don't exist at the time of their release. Autodesk has historically released new versions (compatible with current O/S) each spring, and history also tells us that they generally do not issue mid stream updates that make current versions compatible with new O/S.

It's good practice to plan your computer and O/S purchases based on the apps you need to run, not the other way around

...and we'll have to wait and see if any backward compatibility will be provided for earlier versions of Civil 3D running under Windows 8.

I have just got a new PC and it was specified with Win 7 * 64......

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 10
ihab.arahim
in reply to: neilyj666

Autodesk shoud considere when a new official release of one of Autodesk products supporting OS to fix the comptability of their products in shape of updates to their latest versions. I don`t think to buying a new PC or Laptop two months after the release of Windows 8 to be using Windows 7 is a good idea as it looks like making a manual structure drawing for civil project when there an Autocad exist in the world 😉

Message 6 of 10
AllenJessup

One rule that is often forgotten is that you should by your hardware to run your software not buy the hardware and hope the software will run on it. Autodesk has made no secret that it does not support any current release of Civil 3D on Windows 8.

Hopefully when 2014 comes out it will be supported on Windows 8. However a lot depends on when Microsoft released the specs for programming under Win 8. The more advanced (complicated) a program the more difficult it is to back track and make revision for compatibility with a new OS. That's why you may see simple programs come out with intermediate updates for OS compatibility.

The only time I've ever seen Autodesk come out with a reverse compatibility patch was for an installer only. Not for the main program.

In the future it would be good to remember that there is usually about a year lag between the release of a new OS and a compatible release of Civil 3d.

Search this group for other posts on the subject. Some other users have come up with workarounds for Win 8 that might be helpful for you.

Allen Jessup

Civil 3D 2012 SP 2.1
Dell Precision T7400, Xeon CPU 3.16 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,12 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 4600 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
rkmcswain

@ihab.arahim wrote:

I don`t think to buying a new PC or Laptop two months after the release of Windows 8 to be using Windows 7 is a good idea 

It is when the apps you need to run require Windows 7.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup

If you read through [THIS] long post you will see some suggestions for using Civil 3D on Windows 8. If you make a further search of this group you should be able to find more.

C3D 2014 should be out in a couple of month. That may be supported on Win 8.

Another thing to remember. If you're on subscription you are entitled to some level of support from Autodesk. How is determined by your subscription level. If you're operating on an unsupported OS you may not be able to get the support that you're paying for.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup

From [THIS] thread. "C3D 2013 & SP1 & Win 8 = seems to work > no support"

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Mark_Castle
in reply to: AllenJessup

I've gotten Civil 3D 2013 to work with Win 8 as long as I stick to plain AutoCAD routines. Civil 3D routines are more of an issue. I fully expect 2014 to be compatible. Seems like Win 8 has been around long enough in some form, so Autodesk should have had plenty of time for 2014.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report