Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Civil 3D Slope Analysis

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
6848 Views, 10 Replies

Autocad Civil 3D Slope Analysis

Hi Guys,

I know some people may have already posted some stuff already about slope analysis but I could do with a direct answer to my question.

I am new to Civil 3d and have been learning it over the past month by myself, I have a reasonable good handle of the software as I have been using regular cad for the past couple of years.

I have been given a project for college and part of the project is as follows:

Provide a Slope Analysis Plan which indicates the main surface water flows within the site and identifies slope gradients in coloured bands of:

>1 in 3

1 in 3 – 1 in 5

1 in 5 – 1 in 10

< 1 in 10

I understand the slopes, ranges and percentages, do I need to change the style of the slope analysis to achieve the above process???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

David.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
BrianHailey
in reply to: 10050744

You need to change the style of the surface to a style that will display the results of the slope analysis.

You also need to run the analysis. Choose the number of ranges you want (in this example 4) and then, after running the analysis, change the properties of each range.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 11
jmayo-EE

You need to perform a Elevation Surface Analysis from the Surface's Properties dialog and make sure the surface style used displays the elevations.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: BrianHailey

Sorry Brian I didn't mean to repeat this but I did catch my mistake. Elevation analysis should be slope and the style should display slopes. Same stuff different calc. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

Brian,

I have run the analysis, I understand the ranges etc. How do I go about converting the ranges above into percentages.

From the example above a 1: 3 is 33.33% but then they want 1:3 to 1:5 which is 33.33% to 20%??

Do you understand where I am coming from or do I just add the 20% to the 33% to give me a 1:5 slopes??

Am I just over complicating it or would I be better to just run seperate analysis of the surface for each???

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

David.

Message 6 of 11
BrianHailey

Just type in 1:3 or 1:5 for the slope.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 11

Brian,

Thanks very much for your assistance, especially the video which helped immensly.

I have one other question Brian.... Can you overlay/ underlay your original contours ontop/beneath the slope analaysis??

Thanks again.

Best,

David.

Message 8 of 11
neilyj666

Think you'd need to create a new surface, paste the original one in and style as required

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 9 of 11
BrianHailey

Just turn on the display of the contours as well as the slopes in the style.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 11
twtaylor51

Is it possible to save the settings for the Range Details once they have been customized? I need to run an analysis on many different surfaces that will always have the same paramter settings.

Message 11 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: twtaylor51

I think there is a tool in the UKIE country Kit that may be able to do this....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report