Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D help needed

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
pthread_join
422 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D help needed

Hi Folks -

I'm working on a project at work that invovled AutoCAD Civil 3D, the problem I have is that I'm not a Civil Engineer and I have never used AutoCAD Civil before. At work, I test app performance across a wide-area network and I was tasked with AutoCAD Civil 3D. I've tried creating a project and I've completely failed, its definitely something I cannot create (properly) within a meaningful time frame.

I was wondering if someone was willing to provide a sample project that I could use. The project won't be referenced in any way, shape or form; I just need a viable data source for AutoCAD to open, save and (quite possibly) modify a project -- that's about it. Most of my results would be in the form of network bits and time-to open|close|save, that's it.

Well, any help would be great and I thank you in advance!

Alex

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: pthread_join

There are quite a few tutorials provided with Civil 3D. You might start there.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
pthread_join
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hey Allen -

Yup, that's what I'm doing now, needless to say I'm struggling. Going from zero to amateur is hard and what's expected from my research is as if I am an advanced user.

Hopefully I come up with something decent that generates a lot of big files and what not.

Thanks,
Alex
Message 4 of 8

I think what Allen was trying to say is that in the tutorials folders are quite a few drawings that are already "designed".  Many of the drawings are there for you to "edit such 'n such". Those already have data in them.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 8

Hi Lisa -

Thank you for the clarification, I was able to find the Tutorials folder on my PC. Just for future (quick) reference, that location is here for those looking for examples:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\C3D\Help\Civil Tutorials\Drawings

Thank you!
Alex

Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup

@pthread_join wrote:
Hey Allen -

I'm struggling. Going from zero to amateur is hard and what's expected from my research is as if I am an advanced user.

I can't say for sure because I don't know your abilities. But usually I would say that with no Civil Engineering or Surveying experience and no Civil 3D experience. It would probably be many month before you'd be able to operate the software at an intermediate level. The high level of operation involves many drawing linked together with Data References (DRefs) and Xrefs (cross references). It also would involve multiple corridors and grading.

This isn't the kind of software you can just open and start using. Your best bet might be to try and find someone who knows the software well and monitor them while they work to test the system.The tutorials aren't complicated enough to stress a network.

Sorry if this isn't what you need to hear. But I think you're realizing that already.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
pthread_join
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hey Allen -

Believe you me, I completely agree with you, however, my business objectives requires me to try and be competent enough with applications that are beyond my comprehension 🙂

I did post another question on the forums, perhaps it was best served here as it is a newbie question. Is there any noticeable difference for a person, such as myself, learning from AutoCAD Civil 2014 video while working with AutoCAD Civil 2015 in terms of usability and features? Or are the two completely different?

Alex
Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup

The two should be very similar. While there may be a few new tools in 2015. You should be able to work from 2014 training material.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report