Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013: display DWG of point .mxd file of ArcMAP 10.1

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2094 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013: display DWG of point .mxd file of ArcMAP 10.1

Hi all,

I am new in using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013. I used ArcMAP 10.1 to create a .mxd MAP of 4 points/locations - each point/location has the values of SampleID, XYZ-coordinates, Depth, ChemicalName - see the attached file for details.

I used the ArcToolbox to convert ArcMAP to CAD in the GeoProcess, obtained a DWG, and saved it in a folder of my C:/Temp/CDC_ArcGIS-GeoDatabase folder - see the first page of the attched file. I used AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 to open that DWG file - I played with it in the basic 3D Wireframe a little bit, but I don't know how to display the feature/object of my 4-point MAP - see the last page of my attached file.  Please kindly help and tell me how I can display/view the feature/object of my 4-point MAP in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang 

P. S. The backgroung of my AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 is black.  How can I change the background color to white or other light colors?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

You can adjust your screen background color by typing OP on the command line. That will open the Autocad Options dialogue. I think the settings for colors is found on the System tab.

As for displaying your GIS data, I've not used the workflow you have chosen (converting an MXD to .DWG using the Geoprocessing tools). While I can see where that might be a good choice for converting a lot of data all at once, in this case I think you'll find it simpler to use Map to display your points.

You can display shapefiles and other formats using Map Display manager, or you can convert the data to live CAD graphics using the MAPIMPORT command. I can't give detailed steps on how to do this but hopefully you can learn the steps from the help system or one of the tutorials included with the product.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 6
mathewkol

I believe that's the Display tab Neil.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: mathewkol

Yes you are right Matt. Considering all the times I've been into the Options dialogue I should have it memorized, but I couldn't recall the Display tab.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Neil and Matt,  Thanks for your responses.

I just got a book "A Practical Guide to AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013" by Rick Ellis. In the 2.1 Lesson: Importing GIS Data of the Book, I just started learning Map Import, Geometry, Attributes, Coordinate Systems, and Import dialog box in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 (C3D). I think what I did to open the DWG in C3D stated in my fist thread might not right!!!???

I could not attach my .docx file in my first thread. Do you know what kind of attachments can be attached in this Forum? Please answer this question for me. I need to have the attached file in my next thread/post in this Forum.  Please reply.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang

P. S.  From the HELP of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013, I also read Points Workflow:  Creating a Drawing Template for Points; Creating a Project Point Database; Creating Points in a Drawing; Changing the Appearance of Point in a Drawing.  They look very tedious and hard for new users to follow.  Any tips on the Points Workflow to give me?  

Message 6 of 6
Neilw_05

You can try exporting the .docx to .pdf, or you can rename the .docx to .txt and tell everyone to rename it back to .docx after downloading.

If I had time I'd offer more guidance on using Map to display your points. All I can say is look at the Map help system for displaying shapefiles or use MAPIMPORT to convert the shapefile into Autocad points.

You don't need to create C3D cogo points to show your GIS points. Use Map Display Manager to show them in various styles or themes.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report