Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013: Manually Input the Points of XYZ-coordinates

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
scottchang
4433 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013: Manually Input the Points of XYZ-coordinates

Hi all,

I have the following 8 points of XYZ-coordinates:

Location SampleID X Y Z Depth Elevation FGACDC-SS01 FGACDC-SS01-S1 -77.055876 39.00845 314.5 0.5 315 FGACDC-SS01 FGACDC-SS01-S2 -77.055876 39.00845 297 18 315 FGACDC-SS02 FGACDC-SS02-S1 -77.055886 39.008643 319.5 0.5 320 FGACDC-SS02 FGACDC-SS02-S2 -77.055886 39.008643 302 18 320 FGACDC-SS03 FGACDC-SS03-S1 -77.056203 39.008736 311.5 0.5 312 FGACDC-SS03 FGACDC-SS03-S2 -77.056203 39.008736 294 18 312 FGACDC-SS04 FGACDC-SS04-S1 -77.056203 39.008491 304.5 0.5 305 FGACDC-SS04 FGACDC-SS04-S2 -77.056203 39.008491 287 18 305

These 8 points are for 4 sampling locations with 2 depths for each sampling location. I used AutoCAD 2012 a little bit before and I am new in using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013.  Please give me the key steps and tips of using the values of XYZ-coordinates listed the above-mentioned table to input manually into the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 program. Note: 4 sampling locations are in the 4 corners of a square lot and the 8 points should look like 8 corners of a box.

Please kindly help and respond.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: scottchang

Input your points by doing Point>Create Points - Miscellaneous>Manual, then use the Transparent commands.  The Transparent Commands should be the tool bar to the far right.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 13
AllenJessup

It looks like those points may be in Lat/Long format. You can set up a drawing with the appropriate coordinate system or use another program to convert them first. Either way I always create a text file (usually CSV) and work from there. That way you can import it as often as needed without retyping everything.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: AllenJessup

I'd go with Allen's suggestion and use a csv file

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 13
scottchang
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi Tod, Allen and Neil, Thanks for your responses.

1) Yes, these 8 points are in the Lat/Long format. Allen, what other coordinate systems should I use to input into the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013? Should I us the State Plane coordinates? Or what?

2) If I have the "right-formatted" coordinates for my 8 points in the txt (CSV) file, Allen, what commands do I have to use for input into the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 software program?

3) Todd, I want to do the manual input by using your way too - I am learning. I don't know how to start "doing Point>Create Points - Miscellaneous>Manual, then the use the Transparent commands." Should I start with the "Prospector" => Toolspace => Point Groups, ...? 

4) Todd, are the 8 points in the Lat/Long format suitable for manual-input into the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 software system via your way?

Gentlemen, please kindly help and respond again. I am new in using the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 software system and appreciate your technical expertise in this area.

Thanks again.

Scott Chang 

Message 6 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM

If you go to the ribbon, on the Home tab, Create Ground Data panel, go to Points, Create Points, Manual.  Once in the command you can use the Transparent Command for Latitude and Logitude.  Then enter the lat and long at the command line...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 13

You can also setup a import template for the points that will take lat / longs instead of Northing / Easting

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 13
AllenJessup

@scottchang wrote:

Hi Tod, Allen and Neil, Thanks for your responses.

1) Yes, these 8 points are in the Lat/Long format. Allen, what other coordinate systems should I use to input into the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013? Should I us the State Plane coordinates? Or what?

In the prospector on the settings tab. Right click the drawing name and select Edit Drawing Settings. On the units and Zone tab. Select the correct Lat/Long system

cs.png

2) If I have the "right-formatted" coordinates for my 8 points in the txt (CSV) file, Allen, what commands do I have to use for input into the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 software program?

pf.png

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
scottchang
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Todd, Allen & Peter, Thanks for your valuable responses.

1) To Todd: I tried to do the manual input your way and reached the step of "CREATEPOINTMANUAL Enter a point descrition <.> for Lat/Long.  Question to you:  I don't see the input for Z in this step!! As I said in my first thread, I have 4 sampling locations with 2 depths for each sampling location. How can I make the 2 different values of Z for the same sampling location/Lat-Long point?

2) To Allen: What kind of XYZ formt in the input file you use in the "Insert" => Points from File?

3) To Peter: Where is the "import template"?  How and where can I specify the Z values for the 8 points?

Gentlemen, please kindly give me your answers in details, so I can proceed.

Many Thanks,

Scott Chang  

Message 10 of 13
_Hathaway

If you in a Lat/Long input style window there should be no option to input elevation as Lat/Long are typically tied to an Ellipsoid height rather than ground elevation. After entering the points with Lat/Long you should be able to pick the points, R click and then edit the points. You should be able to edit the elevation. I have never dealt with Lat/long point data straight to CAD as we always use our survey software to handle the conversion to a standard N, E, Z style input.
Message 11 of 13

You need to make a new point file format. I've attached a screent shot of what it might look like. However, if you only have 8 points, then just entering them by hand might be faster. If you need to import them all the time in this format, making an point file format would be worth it.

In the screen capture I'm assuming that the Lat/Long are in decimal degree format.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 13
mathewkimsop

can i use Microsoft excel to input the data of XYZ then import later?
Message 13 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: mathewkimsop

Yes. You just have to save the Excel file as a CSV or TXT file. I always use CSV. Works very well.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report