Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto linework

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
422 Views, 27 Replies

Auto linework

Is there any other way to generate auto linework other that through the
import of a FBK file?
If not, are there any plans to allow auto linework through importation of a
coordinate (text) file?
Some type of auto linework configuration similar to Eagle Point would be
great.

Thanks,

MH
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
tommier
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, feature lines are in a separate site. Alignments are in separate site, parcels in separate sites by block, rights of way in separate site, etc. Sorry I haven't figured out much on figures yet but I don't have them in my drawings. Maybe you could export to acad, explode to lines-plines-arcs, move to breakline layer and insert back to original drawing. Then you can convert them to feature lines and allow "erase existing entities". I'm sure it's not the book way to do it but it does give you curving breaklines as long as you set the mid-ordinate to an appropriate amount when adding the feature lines to your surface model. The smaller the mid-ordinate, the more points on the curve that are calculated and the smaller the "chord" distance that is used in place of the original curve. I use 0.1 as my "default".
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous

Hi,

You should look at the full Stringer program.

Stringer Connect is only a subset of the Stringer program whose primary
output is a Coordinate file. Once you have a coordinate file you can put
points in the drawing.

With the full program the stringing is done from the Point codes of the
points and the fieldbook string commands are not needed.

Also Stringer overcomes the limitations of the field book file format by
creating 3D polylines directly as well as editable 2D polylines.

--

Laurie Comerford
CADApps
www.cadapps.com.au

wrote in message news:5302124@discussion.autodesk.com...
Autodesk Survey is not free, we had to purchase it extra to add to our Land
Desktop Companion 2007 so we could convert asci files (P,N,E,Z,D) to FBK
files. It does work with Companion, you do not have to have a regular seat
of LDT to use Survey. Some will say just get the free Stringer connect
software. Stringer connect will only convert RAW files, not the P,N,E,Z,D
type files many still use!. If you use RAW data, this is the way to go.

I am interested in finding a good 3rd party software to avoid or help with
the fbk files. I will check into fbk ed plus and see!
Thanks the insight cadrick.
Message 23 of 28
Nrhoads

I DL'd the fieldbook ed plus trial. I have not installed it (busy) but plan to soon. I am hoping they are converting it to civil3d though. I want to stop using Survey and LDT soon. I am thinking Autodesk is not making them much longer.

Laurie,
How does stringer work if it does not need line code commands? How do you tell it to start or end a line or curve?
Message 24 of 28
tommier

Also, do you have to shoot all three points on a curve in a row or can you shoot other stuff in between? Can you have more than one line code per shot? Can you use different descriptions for the same line?
PP.50
OE.50
These descriptions both call for line 50 but one will have the PP symbol and the other one will not. Also, PP usually have multiple lines on them such as PP.50.51.52 with follow up shots at OE.50, OE.51, and OE.52. These are the main two reasons the Excel method is not as easy as it looks.
Message 25 of 28
mscacco

have you tried the MC - Multicurve figure code?
Message 26 of 28
Nrhoads

I can answer that one for Civil 3d. Curves have to be shot in three sequential shots (C3 command) and two sequential shots (PC command) which is not good for the surveyor.

And no, the fbk cannot handle more than one code on one point from the coordinate file! This is due to converting coordinate files to fbk, line codes in the coord file can not have more than one space in the descriptor (ex. B space EOP space PP will not work because the space is for the command code and the next space freaks the convertion out!

Symbols have some leeway with spaces since there is no need for a command code to tell the symbol to start or curve. You can have PP 12inch concrete, but note, NO INCH SYMBOLS should be in the coord file. Inch symbols in the convertion freak the fbk out. My crews call out B INV 12"RCP which is an invert of a 12" reinforced concrete pipe. I have to go in and find-replace all " symbols before converting the coord file to fbk. PAIN IN THE REAR, need a better way!\

I would like to demo stringer, not just watch some movie of it, I have tried stringer connect and it can't convert asci files (P,N,E,Z,D) or our TDS RAW files, so I need to see if our firm can benifit from it. Message was edited by: Nrhoads
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous

Civil 3D 2007 as well as LDD 2007 has a Multi Point Curve option. You are no longer held to the C3 command. The new command is MCS (Multi point curve start) and MCE (multi point curve End)
Message 28 of 28
tommier

I'll take a look into it. Thanks for the update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report