Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly with Depressed Median

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
nmiller33
2149 Views, 13 Replies

Assembly with Depressed Median

Hello All,

I've never used Civil 3D before and I've been trying to teach myself to give myself an edge on a Transportation Design Project.

Anyways, what I'm trying to figure out is how to create an assembly of a divided highway with a depressed median.

If I understand correctly I need the lanes to be in place first before I can correctly insert the depressed median.

My question is how do I get the lanes offset from the assembly baseline so that I can insert the median between them?

This may be a dumb question but I've been researching and using trial and error with MarkPoints and the depressed median for hours without any luck.

Any help is appreciated,

Nathan

Core i7-2600K @4.8GHz
2x Nvidia GTX 570
16 GB 1600mHz DDR3
2x 64GB OCZ Agility 3 Raid-0
1TB WD Caviar Black
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: nmiller33

You should be able to place a median on the assembly and have lanes attach to the median.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
nmiller33
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I can successfully place a median of any type other than a Depressed Median.

When you right click on the Depressed Median and click help the first thing that it tells you is.

"This subassembly creates a cross-sectional representation of a depressed median between the attachment point and a previously named marked point.

Use the MarkPoint subassembly first if the connecting point has not already been marked."

Core i7-2600K @4.8GHz
2x Nvidia GTX 570
16 GB 1600mHz DDR3
1TB WD Caviar Black
Message 4 of 14
jmayo-EE

There are better corridor modelers here than I but you can select the assembly, right click and choose Add Offset. I think with this method you will need profiles for the edges of pavement and the centerline. If the model was built from a CL profile of the median I might simply build my own median with generic links to avoid the need for the EOP profiles.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Joe-Bouza

It appears that the depressed median requires a marked point. I just cant get the conceptp on marked point through my thick scull so hopefully someone will chime in.

if I had to guess you tgl would have offset assemblies and you create the MP in one of them.

Depressed Median Help

depressed med.PNG

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 14
sboon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Here's an example from a drawing that I will be using at AU.  The important thing as noted earlier is that the marked point must be above the depressed median on the Construction tab.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

Thanks Steve.

Too bad I can't make AU this year. Best of luck with your class. I look forward to the tape.

Our fire wall prevents me from DL dwg file would you be able to email to me? jbouza<at><cameronengineering><dot><com>

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 14
jmayo-EE

Excellent. Thanks Steve. Have fun at AU.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
sboon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

On the way.  Check your email.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 14
nmiller33

Hey, Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.

Here is what I ended up coming up with for my assembly.  I used LinkOffset to offset the lanes and then a MarkedPoint on the right side so that my mark point would be on the edge of the right inside lane and my attach point is on the edge of the left inside lane.

My professor said only to put curb and gutter on outside but I have heard different opinions on this. Just curious to see what you'll think.

If anyone wants the file with the complete cooridor just let me know. I can't attach it because it is too large.

Thanks again, Nathan 

Assembly.jpg

Core i7-2600K @4.8GHz
2x Nvidia GTX 570
16 GB 1600mHz DDR3
1TB WD Caviar Black
Message 11 of 14
sboon

Looks good.  If you want the bonus marks though you'll want to delete the point and link codes from the two LinkOffsetAndSlope subs, and use the hide link option also.  This will prevent the links from displaying in your sections or interfering with surfaces and quantities.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 14
tadas.jan

In my case, i was searching to find best way to insert depressed median between road and sidewalk, but my effort was insucsefull, due to lack of funcionallity. The last try was to insert second offset subassembly us ditch centerline, but i miss shoulder control to follow edge of pavement. Maybe i miss something, but it seems i have to come back using generic links. Subassembly composer is the only solution way ?

Capture2.JPG

Message 13 of 14
sboon
in reply to: tadas.jan

Offset assemblies are not appropriate for this type of solution.  Use a generic link and corridor targeting to position the sidewalk, then use the depressed median sub to fill in the gap.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 14 of 14
isaakwadaniel

Hi I am having the same challenge. please send me the complete file . if its too large you may send Land xml file.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report