Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly for divided highway with inconsistent offsets

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
millsy.g
1093 Views, 4 Replies

Assembly for divided highway with inconsistent offsets

What I have is a highway that is being twinned, however the divided lanes are not consistantly the same distance away (or the same width of roadtop). I would like to keep the number of alignments to a minimum. Both lanes would be based off the same vertical profile. So I would like to have a single assembly that could adjust the median width in the center, and the lane width. Targetting the horizontal layout you can see in the attached screenshot. (this is not all of the job of course)

Is this a feasible task for the targetting assemblys?  Would be a fairly standard 4:1 side slopes, adjustable ditch bottom width, 2% crowned road otherwise.Twinning.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: millsy.g

I see you will need to be able to push your Median across your centerline for your left turn lanes. A common request. 

We used to be able to do this, but now this mainstream design capability is broken in the latest release of the software due to poor quality control.

If you have a project deadline and need to keep moving forward with this, you may want to highly consider Bentley software. 

Please see the following threads for more information.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Confirmed-Defect-Medians/m-p/4380944

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/C3D-2014-SP1-Medians-Still-Not-Working/td-p/4...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 5
millsy.g
in reply to: fcernst

Technically I could move my centerline to keep it in the exact center of both roads, and not have to cross the median at all. 

What I'm more interested in, is the changing distance from the centerline, and trying to use a horizontal target for the crown.

Message 4 of 5
sboon

A few questions:

• Do you have two lanes of existing roadway or is this going to be all new pavement?
  • Are you adding new lanes to one side or both?
  • Raised or depressed median?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 5
fcernst

..Technically I could move my centerline to keep it in the exact center of both roads, and not have to cross the median at all...

Yes, if you can do that, the Civil 3D median workflow is very dynamic and powerful, especially if you implement Offset Alignments.

I just quickly whipped up an example for you below in the first image with my raised median assembly.

We have lost the ability in 2014 though, to execute Case 3 shown in the second image below. Pushing the median across centerline.

This is very frustrating and worrisome as we need this capability to create our Left Turn lanes.

I wish Peter Funk would get this pushed through repair immediately. This is project critical design capabilty.

Come on Peter...

Median.JPG

Case 3.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report