Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly based on end condition (not start condition)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jlj450
892 Views, 11 Replies

Assembly based on end condition (not start condition)

All,

I am using Civil3D 2011 and have a need to create an assembly that will take one of three options, depending on the tie-in condition points (e.g., the end of a link, not the beginning). As far as I can tell, Civil3D can discriminate which sub-assembly to choose based on conditions at the link starting point (e.g., if the start point is 2' of fill, it will select sub-assembly A; if the start point is 2' of cut, it will use sub-assembly B, etc.). However, I have a condition where the cut/fill conditions at the assembly start point have little to do with what I want the subsequen sub-assembly to do.

For simplicity's sake, you can imagine my "existing conditions" (2D) section as a flat-bottomed, U-shape with vertical sides (i.e., a trench); it's bottom width can vary.For the time-being, let us consider one side of an assembly in a fill condition only. Imagine that I want to satisfy design constraints but limiting fill quantities is a second priority; in instances when the bottom width is small, I would want the assembly to catch the existing trench with a 2:1 sideslope fill (or in Civil3D speak, a cut, because it would be upwards), so my finished surface is a now a V with the vertical faces above it. That works fine and dandy for a "trench" a few feet wide; however, imagine if that trench were 100s of feet wide - a 2:1 side slope would be a lot of fill for a ditch. So rather, I would want to "embank" the ditch - 2:1 side slope up (cut) to define my ditch XS, a horizontal link over to "embank" it, and then a 2:1 side slope down (fill) to catch the flat-bottom of my trench. So as you see, both situations have the same "Cut/Fill" condition (starting point) but drastically different end results.

For my specific application, there would be at least one intermediate condition, but figuring out a way to do this should provide me the ground work to add complexity as needed. Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated; I have also attached a sketch of this. Thanks!

-James

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tcorey
in reply to: jlj450

Have you looked at Subassembly composer?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 12
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: tcorey

If you are willing to abandon C3D2011 for a later version, then Subassmebly Composer could handle this easily with some auxiliary test points. 🙂

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 4 of 12
jlj450
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

We will probably be adopting Civil3D 2013 in the next few months, but no ETA yet. Is the subassembly composer in Civil3D 2011? Either way, is it relatively easy to use? Thanks

Message 5 of 12
KMercier_C3D

I stand corrected. SAC is available for C3D2011. Check subscription.autodesk.com and search Subassembly Composer.  

As far as "easy to use" that is all relative. But feel free to look at my AU2011 lecture in my profile it is geared to someone who hasn't opened the program before.

AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 6 of 12
apweng

Could you not send out an "invisible link" (Omit Link option), and then check for the condition.  Based on condition you could connect back to original point or another point via a marked point? 

Andrew

Message 7 of 12
fcernst

depending on the tie-in condition points (e.g., the end of a link, not the beginning).

You can do this in SAC. You have to be sure to clearly define your logical test conditions going in first though. Do the test conditions involve the end points or the links?

Above you mention the condition at the end of the link which could be tested with Auxillary points.

In your diagram, you mention your test is whether the surface interesects your Proposed link at any location within the link. This condition could be tested with an API call to test for intersection between your proposed link and a Surface Link that spans across all of your proposed offsets.

You could pick one or perhaps use both (OR, AND) conditions to test for the proposed link execution.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 12
mathewkol

Katie. Was the Aux point option available in the 2011 version of SAC?
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 12
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt-

I don't currently have it on my computer to check but I am pretty sure that the auxiliary geometry has been available in all of the versions currently available.

Message 10 of 12
sboon

It should be possible to solve this using offsets in your assembly to place ConditionalCutOrFill subs at the ends of your testing links.  If the test point is in cut then move back to the start point and apply a SlopeToSurface.  If it's in fill then apply a LinkWidthAndSlope, then start a new set of tests.

Clipboard01.png

I see that you're using 2011 and my drawing was created in 2012 but you should be able to recreate it.

• The "Test for Cut/Fill" subs are ConditionalCutOrFill
  • The "Cut to Surface" subs are LinkSlopeToSurface
  • The "Slope to P-" subs are LinkWidthAndSlope

Clipboard02.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 12
jlj450

All -

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delayed thank-you - client review stalled this out for awhile. I was able to accomplish what I needed using the "omit links" function and it's working great - just have to be careful to correctly name nodes and select the correct ones to build the surface from the corridor.

Unfortunately, I can't give the Subassembly Composer a try because it requires too much coordination with IT to adjust the enterprise-wide install package and apparently I'm the first person that has needed this. Is Subassembly Composer a tool to create a specific Subassembly - so instead of having 5-or-whatever links for a test condition and results, I can have one with several input values to populate?

Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
doni49

@jlj450 wrote:

Is Subassembly Composer a tool to create a specific Subassembly - so instead of having 5-or-whatever links for a test condition and results, I can have one with several input values to populate?

The short answer is "yes" SAC will allow you to do that.  But the better answer would be to suggest that you do a google search for Subassembly composer blog Mercier

I've been doing a lot of reading about SAC and Kati Mercier's blog entries have been some of the most informative/easy to understand SAC writings that I've found.  This search WILL produce others too and a lot of them will be useful.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report