Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Label

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Cadguru42
1492 Views, 17 Replies

Assembly Label

Is there a way to make a label in model space for an assembly's name?  To keep track of which assembly is which, I have been creating a MTEXT object and just type it in below my assembly.  I would like to know if there's a way to make a label just show up with the name so I don't have to create all these text items manually.  This would be just for reference only, not used for any final plans.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Cadguru42

you haven't done the corridor tutorials <G>

In your MTEXT editor insert a field>> select objec>> pick your assemby>> pick "name".

Joe

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 18
Cadguru42

What do you mean by not having done the tutorials?  I name every assembly which makes it easy while in the corridor properties to assign assemblies.  It's the assembly itself in the model space that I'm looking to label.

Thanks for the idea of using fields for the MTEXT, but I'd still have to edit the MTEXT field for each assembly which defeats the purpose of having a label.  What I want is similar to how a profile view can have a title label, but for the assembly.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 18
mathewkol

Joe posted that solution because that is what you have to do.  There is no other way.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Because if you did the corridor tutorials; using the field as the label is one of the first " inside tips" the tutorial offers and as for the MTEXT editor: You copy the initial assembly with the field label> rename the assembly and the label is done, not to mention your subs are already named, or replace as needed, but the assembly name and label is as dynamic as any other dynamic feature. I guess that is what I meant by "you didn't do the tutorials" <G> just teasing don't be so serious.. <G><G>

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 18
Cadguru42
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Whenever I do a copy of the assembly and the MTEXT with the field, the field still references the original assembly and I have to edit the MTEXT field to update it to the copied assembly.  I guess I'm doing something wrong if it's possible to just copy both and get the field to automatically update correctly.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 18
Joe-Bouza

regen after renaming the assembly

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 18
Cadguru42

Doing a REGEN doesn't do anything.  I even used UPDATEFIELD and it still references the first one.  I guess I'll just go back to typing everything.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Don't give up. post your assembly and label for me to look at

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 18
mathewkol

Copying the assembly and the MTEXT will not change the field.  You always have to update it after a copy.  You're doing nothing wrong.  As long as you have one working you're doing it perfectly.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 11 of 18
annw2

I would like to see this as well.

Was a better method found for 2012?  2013 or wishlist.

I would also like to be able to see where each assembly is used.  The prospector shows if it is used any way to expand where?

I will have to look to see if you can print corridor properties similar to the very long list that was possible in LDD. (It was an awful format.)

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 12 of 18
Jeff_M
in reply to: annw2

There are some free downloads around with lisp, vba, and dll solutions to aid in adding the Assembly labels. And SIncpacC3D has a builtin command "SPLabelAssembly" to do the same thing, but goes further in in the "SPLabelAssemblySettings" you can opt to have every assembly automatically labeled as it is added to the drawing.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 18
C3D_TomR
in reply to: mathewkol

The fields update for me if you copy the assembly and mtext object at the same time. Here's a video of the procedure I use. It works in C3D2012 and C3D2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTkAE_1BheE

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 14 of 18
randyspear6624
in reply to: C3D_TomR

Has anybody found a better tool? I can get the fields to work but it's actually faster to just type it in.

I found an exchange app that claims to do it but nothing actually happens after install.

Message 15 of 18
Jeff_M

Randy, the Sincpac - C3D, as noted above, is the best I've seen. Of course, I may be a bit prejudiced since I wrote it. I had thought I'd posted a trimmed down version of it in the C3D customization forum. I'm on my phone now so can't search for it.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 16 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: randyspear6624

I'm not sure what everyone is doing to find the field label so cumbersome; I do it once and done. When I need another I copy the whole shabang rename the assembly and the label is there.

If a person really wanted to save some time they could make an assembly and label, block it, stick it on a palette for the future, get some Velcro sneakers and really save time.

just kidding about the sneakers.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 18
randyspear6624

You're right, it's not cumbersome if it's carried forward from the start but I also have to help others in the company with their C3D issues so I'm in and out of "foreign" dwgs all the time.

Message 18 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Oh yeah, going into drawings by others is always an adventure
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report