Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area Inquiry doesn't work

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
encola
2444 Views, 17 Replies

Area Inquiry doesn't work

Hello!!! 

I know that the post should be in the MAC area, but I couldn't find how to do it!!! (I use Autocad 2013 in MAC)

I have a problem with the "Area Inquiry" Command

When I choose the points, I have allways these three opts: 

Point or option keyword required.
Specify next point or [Arc/Length/Undo]:

but if I want to close the poligon, pressing simply RETURN, it doesn't work. It doesn't make anything. So I can't close a polygon!

The unbelieveble thing is that doesn't work ONLY with a particular DWG!!!! But I need to calculate the area in that dwg!!

Can anybody help me?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Pointdump
in reply to: encola

Encola,

Try pressing the "C" Key (Close) and then the Return Key. That should close your Polygon. Then your Area Command will work.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 18
encola
in reply to: Pointdump

Nein....doesn't work the c as 'close'. Allready tried!

Message 4 of 18
doni49

pick your pline and then go to the properties. 

1) Does it say "POLYLINE" at the top?

2) Make sure it says YES next to "Closed" down below.  See the following image.

PlineProp.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 18
doni49
in reply to: doni49

Also, here's a link to the Acad for Mac group.  I'm guessing you meant that you couldn't find it.

If the above doesn't work then I'd have to believe maybe it's a Mac issue.  But I've never used Mac for anything other than basic web browsing or Word Processor.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/ct-p/3011

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 18
encola

I'm sorry...probably I wasn't clear:

I want to inquiry an Area. 

So there is no polyline to select..

In this case, as you can see, I click on any vertex, but I can't close the polyline.

Message 7 of 18
doni49

I just tried it in 2012 and 2014 (I don't have access to 2013) and it worked in both cases.

When you say "it doesn't work", what exactly do you mean?  What does it do when you press enter (after you've selected at least 3 points)?

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 18
encola

simply nothing!

It just asks me again to input another point...as if I didn't press return!

Message 9 of 18
Jay_B

When picking Points using the Area command you must hit Enter after your last point has been snapped to.

Then the Area & the perimeter of the shape will be reported to the Command Line.

Alternatively using the hatch command and choosing "Pick Internal Point" might be quicker as the hatch

will display the Area in Properties Palette or using the List command.

The Bpoly command is also very useful as you can use Internal Point option to quickly create closed shapes for use in

area calculations. This command creates closed Polylines in just a couple clicks.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 10 of 18
doni49

If it acts as if you didn't press enter, then I have to wonder if there's something wrong with your keyboard. The pressing space bar instead of return.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 18
Jay_B

encola wrote:but if I want to close the poligon, pressing simply RETURN, it doesn't work. It doesn't make anything.So I can't close a polygon!

The unbelieveble thing is that doesn't work ONLY with a particular DWG!!!! But I need to calculate the area in that dwg!!

It doesn't "make anything" here either but rather reports the Area & Perimeter values to the Command Line after pressing Enter.

Try pressing the F2 key after running the Area command and pressing Enter to close the command.

Is the Area displayed in the Autocad text window?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 12 of 18
encola
in reply to: Jay_B

I'm sorry guys....but no, no and again no.

It simply doesn't work!!! and it isn't something stupid like: the return key doesn't work, or the answer of the inquiry is not visible in the editor. 

As I told you in the first post......The unbelieveble thing is that it doesn't work ONLY with a particular DWG!!!! 

So...must be something concerning with the mac version, I suppose...

Message 13 of 18
Jay_B

Have you ran an AUDIT on the drawing to see if it finds and fixes any errors?

If there are Xref's attached, run an AUDIT on those as well.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 14 of 18
doni49

1) Place a polyline and make sure that it closes.  Then measure that.  At least you'll be able to get your area.

2) Post your dwg file -- leave the polyline in the file.  If someone hasn't already done so by then, I'll try it tomorrow morning.  I'll use the pline to snap to the points --make sure it's obvious what shape is in question.  If it works for me (or anyone else), then it could very well be a Mac issue and at that point, I'd really suggest posting in the Mac forum.

3) You can delete the pline after you've posted the file -- or you can move it to a non-plot layer and leave it there.

P.S. Of course try Jay's suggestion of audit first.  These suggestions are meant to be additional things to try.

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Not at a work station but If I recall correctly that inquery command completes with a mouse right click

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 16 of 18
ASteele77

I just recently installed Civil 3D 2015, and for some reason none of my inquiry functions work.  Any time I click on any of the inquiry icons, whether

it's slope or angle or anything, I get the error message that it's an unknown command.

Help!

Message 17 of 18
budaniya

with the area command make sure the dynamic input is on.

Message 18 of 18

That works!!  Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report