Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archgrid, Geotiff, DEM Alternatives to Google Earth Import in Civil 3D

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
mikeshick
1706 Views, 47 Replies

Archgrid, Geotiff, DEM Alternatives to Google Earth Import in Civil 3D

Hi Fellows...

I'm sure there are many ways of skinning this cat and would love to hear your ideas about importing surface terrain and areial photography into Civil 3D.  I understand google earths limitations, and especially the lack of precise data.  I also understand that there is better data available out there but requires more work than Civil 3D 2012 Google Earth Import.  I'd like to hear your ideas or recommendations for either of these two methods.

Second, I have come across Brian Hailey's blog post HERE and attempted to follow it.  From the USGS TNM Viewer, I downloaded the archgrid 1/3" NED Elevation and Geotiff files, unzipped, and found the *.adf file. For the life of me, I could build a surface with it, either by adding DEM file to an existing surface, or building a surface by DEM.  Does anyone have a recommenndation for a successfull approach.

Finally, I also used Brian's comments posted HERE which discuss getting a DEM surface from Geo Community.  unpacked the *.gz file and converted the DDF files using the the SDTStoDEM from University of Arizon (HERE). This DEM surface imported ok (I think), but I could never verify whether the units I inserted the DEM file in as were feet or meters.  Likewise, I used mapinsert in attempt to bring in the geotiff file from USGS TNM Viewer, but could not relate it to the DEM above, either in feet or inches. 

So...I need to work in feet and like to find the best data and methods for building surfaces in Civil 3D 2013. 

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
47 REPLIES 47
Message 41 of 48
mikeshick
in reply to: antoniovinci

Antonio....got your tin file from my ADF file. How did you manage to come up with this. Importing that ADF never worked for me.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 42 of 48
mikeshick
in reply to: Neilw_05

Neil...please let us know what you find.  Somehow keeps sounding a bit like IM is the free option for subscription users.  I agree...what a convulted process to bring in some DEM.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 43 of 48
BrianHailey
in reply to: mikeshick

Infrastructure Modeler is not a part of subscription, it's a part of the Infrastructure Design Suite Premium.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 44 of 48
antoniovinci

mikeshick wrote:

How did you manage to come up with this

1] with Qgis I converted .ADF to .ASC

2] with Microdem I decimated the .ASC dem, then exported to .OBJ format

3] with Meshlab I transformed the .OBJ into .3DS

4] finally _3DSIN with my glorious Map2006

In other words, give up and use the "add boundary" technique, sir.

Message 45 of 48
mikeshick
in reply to: antoniovinci

I'm sorry. What do you mean "add boundary" technique?
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 46 of 48
antoniovinci

Message 47 of 48
mikeshick
in reply to: BrianHailey

Ah, my bad. I thought i had many emails inviting me to download for free. I also had the revit suite which just converted bldg design suite. It is the source of the incitation.
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 48 of 48
BrianHailey

For anyone following this post, might want to check out THIS post as well.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report