Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appurtenance (valves) in Pressure Pipews

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
kathy.pendergast
3289 Views, 15 Replies

Appurtenance (valves) in Pressure Pipews

We have bee using a user-defined block where our valves are to show (Old Style) Circle with x in it to show what we want to see in the plan view, but in the profile view we want to show the valves with the bonnet. I can not find a way to show the appurtenances in 2 different ways or chnce the look in profile? Anyone else facinf this problem?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

You'll need to create the part as a 3D model for it to display that way in the profile automatically. It's not too difficult to do if you have the 3D model already created. Look for the file, "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\Sample\Civil 3D API\Part Publishing Wizard\PartPublishingWizardUsersGuide.docx" for instructions.

This is for 2014, adjust the path accordingly for 2013

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 16
csevers
in reply to: kathy.pendergast

I'm assuming you are in a pre-2013 release. I think they added those in 2013, I haven't done a waterline project with 2013 yet, but unfortunately I am very experienced do them in 2009-2012.

There are really two ways to get your valve to pop in profile view automatically.

1. Build a 3D network part as Brian described. I don't think this is very easy imho, although it can be done. I wouldn't suggest it unless you know you will be doing another long waterline (at least a mile) before you get your hands on 2013. 

2. Make a block to display in profile and make a style for the part you want. This is what I do. I make a new structure style for my appurtance from the null structure assign a block for plan view, and another for profile view, and that's it. If I have enough different appurtenances I'll make plan and profile label styles for each too. If I don't have amny I'll just make  generic labels that pull the required variable info from the name and description. Basically it automates stationing and offsets so when I move stuff around I don't have to do an inquiry and change the text. You can get this setup in an hour or two.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 4 of 16

Kathy Here, I'm using Civil 3D 2013 with service pack 1 and hotfix 3 installed on a 64 bit machine.

Message 5 of 16
csevers
in reply to: kathy.pendergast

Maybe somebody else knows for sure, but I think the 3D models for water appurtenances are included in 2013, they just have to be added to the parts list as Brian said. At least my understanding was that 2013 would offer the same support for pressure networks as is availiable for storm and sanitary networks.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 6 of 16

Kathy Here, There are 3d models used in the pressure piping in C3D 2013. In plan view they look like a valve complete with bonnet. They automatically come into the profile but they appear in profile as an "X" with no bonnet showing. If you look at the plan view and rotate the drawing the 3D model shows the bonnet. I have used a user-defined block that looks like a stick figure valve (circle with an X) with a mask behind it so that my valves look traditional on plans but I need to show the bonnet in profile and have not been able to find a way to substitute anything in profile at this time.

Message 7 of 16

@kathy.pendergast wrote:

Kathy Here, There are 3d models used in the pressure piping in C3D 2013. In plan view they look like a valve complete with bonnet. They automatically come into the profile but they appear in profile as an "X" with no bonnet showing. If you look at the plan view and rotate the drawing the 3D model shows the bonnet. I have used a user-defined block that looks like a stick figure valve (circle with an X) with a mask behind it so that my valves look traditional on plans but I need to show the bonnet in profile and have not been able to find a way to substitute anything in profile at this time.

I had never actually tried it before and I'm not seeing any way to change it either. I was planning on creating this cool little video to show you how to do it but, I've failed at coming up with any way to show anything but the X in the profile.

I would recommend submitting a technicle support request if you are on subscription so they can log the fact that this isn't working the way you need it to work.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 16

Thanks Brian, I'll try that. The local Autodesk People could not find a way either.
Kathy
Message 9 of 16

Did you get a response to this?  I am having the same issue.

Message 10 of 16

We recently transitioned to C3D 2014, I asked when we took classes. The vendor for the program tells me there is no way to do this as the program currently exists and it was put in as a suggestion for the next version, I know that's no help, sorry.

Message 11 of 16

I'm in the same boat - sorry to do a "me too" here, but this way if there are any solutions found/added I will get a notification. I'm glad to find out it's not just me being a Civil3D novice - that it's actually a limitation in the software. I can finally stop beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Message 12 of 16

What is so frustrating about this issue is the amount of time you can spend building up the part libraries (because lets face it...  No PVC Really??) styles, rules ect.. ect.. and there is zero disclaimer up front telling people oh by the way you really can't even use the product at all because there is no way to display Fire Hydrants and gate valves in profile view, other than to have them display on a no plot layer and then put a block over them.

Autodesk then says well its a new feature...  Really?  It was released in 2013, and it might be 2015 before it is even remotely usable.  

I don't know how many programmers they have working on the software but for the price we pay for the design suite being able to draw and model a water system might be a nice feature to have.

Sorry for the rant but pressure pipes is broken do not spend the time to implement them unless you know its limitations. 

Message 13 of 16

Yes It's broken, and C3D 2014 is no better but if you know it's limitaions you can use parts of the system.

Message 14 of 16

What was truly funny to me in 2014, mind you this is after dutifully modeling in 3d a pretty awesome fire hydrant, is I am looking at the silly block/whatever the place holder they used in for profile views and I then try to adjust my model because I thought there was something wrong with how I drew my 3d shape.  After another 2 hours of messing with it I realized that no matter what I did to my model the shape was not changing.  Then I threw some actual dimenions on the block that is in profile view and the darn thing is no where near real life size in fact its about half the size it should be.  Its like they were running up on the submit date for the software and ripped that poor programmer out of his seat and said no you are not working on this anymore.

Message 15 of 16
g_k50
in reply to: ChilesConsulting

It might be a problem of personnel turnover.  If you're a programmer you are in high demand, if you are a programmer who understands engineering principles and practices, you might be in twice demand.

Now combine that with working as a subordinate of a salesman pretending to be an engineer pretending to being a programmer, you can imagine the frustration.

Message 16 of 16
zanispleve
in reply to: csevers

Thanks for that valuable advise, it help me much

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report