AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 11 of 13 (113 Views)

Re: Anyone using pipes to draw in existing utilities.............

02-13-2013 08:21 AM in reply to: taneum

Gotchya.  Yes, I like utilities as networks due to the Interference capabilities and Profile projection capabilities.

How many road crossings? I think it would be worth it to quickly edit those in through the Pipe Network editor for the productivity reasons above.

Ernst Engineering
Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2014 SP1
W7x64; i7 8gb; Radeon HD 5700
www.ernstengineering.com
Distinguished Contributor
taneum
Message 12 of 13 (110 Views)

02-13-2013 08:34 AM in reply to: fcernst

Okay so here is what I think will work best for me here.........

I drew in a polyline along my utility.  In this case it some communications lines.  I used the grading function to get elevations from my existing surface model.  I then lowered that line 3' below the surface.  Next thing I did was use the "delete pi" commanding in grading to get rid of probably 2/3 of the pi's.  This left me with about 5-6 segments.  I then created a pipe network from that line and it gave me 5-6 pipes.  I drew those into the profile view and then just turned off all the pipes except the one that actually crosses my centerline.  Seems to be pretty close.

I thought about just doeing 5' either side of the centerline and calling it good but our new sewer is 15' off centerline and I want to see any potential conflicts down the way with utilities so I wanted to draw in the utilities that far out.

Distinguished Contributor
Message 13 of 13 (99 Views)

02-13-2013 01:44 PM in reply to: taneum

the only time we need to show existing utilities is in the cross sections. so i do the polyline thing but i draw from the cross section sample line/utility line intersection. that gives pipe lengths of 50' (assuming your sample lines are 50'). i convert that polyline to a feature line with elevations only at the verticies. drop it the required depth and then convert to a pipe.  it creates null structures at each intersection which i erase. i have pipe styles set up for each utility. it works pretty well and doesn't use too many resources.

Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.8GHz
12GB Ram
64 bit
C3D 2012 SP3.0

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs