Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having cursor flicker issues in 2014 Civil 3d?

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Jay_B
8738 Views, 21 Replies

Anyone else having cursor flicker issues in 2014 Civil 3d?

When using Civil 3d 2014 HF1 I have a very annoying (almost constant) cursor flicker issue.

When using Civil 3d 2012 SP3 I have few if any cursor flicker issues on the same machine.

Anybody else experiencing cursor flicker in 2014?

The attached video capture only tells half the story, the flickering is much more profound live (where cursor jumps back and forth) in and out of my favorite Windows 7  spinning green circle.

http://www.screencast.com/t/DZi5v5l9SicB

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
DaveM
in reply to: Jay_B

I was not able to get your video to play, but i had that issue when I first started using civil 3d 2010. It was resolved by turning hardware acceleration off. For the record I have no idea what hardware acceleration is used for, but I have not seen any noticable symtoms.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 22
ccookusi

You may also want to try closing the sheet set manager dialog.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Boot
16 GB Ram
Message 4 of 22
Jay_B
in reply to: ccookusi

Thanks for the replies,

I've tried Hardware Acceleration both on/off & didn't seem to make any difference.

Sheet Set Manager isn't open or docked.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 22
tmullins

I had the issue in 2012, found the cause which I could reproduce everytime - when modifying styles if I hit the Apply button, boom, flickering cursor. Verified on several machines. Hit OK, no flicker, hit Apply, flicker. Then suddenly one day without warning, it stopped. Doesn't happen now. Maybe a Windows update? Who knows.

Then yesterday in 2014 started getting the annoying flicker for the first time. I was in the process of creating a couple new user profiles. found when I would switch between them the flicker would start. So I exported the profile to an .arg, deleted the active one, reimported the .arg and the flicker went away.

No connection at all from what I see but if you fire Civil and no flicker, then pay close attention to exactly what you are doing when the flicker starts, then more than likely that's the culprit. Try to reproduce it if you can.

Good luck, it is the most annoying thing.

Message 6 of 22
ScottLWarner

I had that issue in 2012 and 2013. Found out that switching from Active Drawing View to Master View in prospector stopped the flicking. Not sure if it will work in 2014 but its worth a shot.

Message 7 of 22
Jay_B
in reply to: tmullins

@tmullins wrote:

Then yesterday in 2014 started getting the annoying flicker for the first time. I was in the process of creating a couple new user profiles. found when I would switch between them the flicker would start. So I exported the profile to an .arg, deleted the active one, reimported the .arg and the flicker went away.

We had a widespread cursor issue here that a Hotfix fixed (either 2011 or 2012) release but other than that see it occasionally.

I think you've got me on the right path. The issue here definitely seems to be Profile related. If I switch to the OOTB Imperial pfl the flicker goes away. Strange that I first noticed this issue with 2014 on same day as you though.

I didn't previously mention that IT had to uninstall/reinstall 2014 from my system Monday (because subassembly composer can't be installed after the fact) grrrrrrr! So there was still a desktop icon with my custom arg present (which seemed to work fine other than flicker issue). A 3rd party add on was also installed for 1st time so a lot of changes in a short time here. I am going to recreate the profile and do some more testing. Will report back here how that goes.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 22
Jay_B
in reply to: tmullins

Thanks to all, deleting the custom arg and recreating it from default C3d_Imperial profile fixed it.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 22
Jay_B

Just learned one thing that is certain to cause the cursor flicker almost immediately in 2014.

For example if a "Template Settings" support file search path's set to a location which doesn't contain a particular dwt or the proper network drive letter yet and Civil 3d is launched using that profile the cursor will flicker.

I doubt it's limited to the Template search path's but has more to do with if a search path is listed which can't find what it's set to the flicker can happen.

Often while setting up new office profiles I have to answer yes to "path does not exist are you sure you want to use this value messages" while creating profiles.

Once the missing dwt's or temporary incorrect file paths are sorted out the flicker goes away.

I'm not suggesting this is the only cause of flicker issues but think in my it may have been the culprit when I originally posted this.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 22
Palanlan

Hi all, I've been having this issue as well.  Turns out it was the Drawing Template search path.  Thanks a bunch!

Running AutoCAD Civil 3D
Message 11 of 22
bvandamm
in reply to: ScottLWarner

Can confirm fix for 2014 and 2015 (stupid bug....)

"The source of expertise is not in the memorization
of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough
understanding of the fundamental concepts on
which it is based." - Dan Appleman
Message 12 of 22
kabachef

It`s work for me! Changing the template folder in Options to folder without *.dwt trigger the cursor flicker ( blinking , changing crosshair with sandwatch or whatever is name of this annoying thing).

Turning back to normal template folder and the cursor... start working normal 🙂

Thank you so much! I started the day with a smile!)
Message 13 of 22
ksorsby
in reply to: kabachef

Well I never. 4 or 5 of us had this for years and put up with it. Changed the template path and now it's fine!

Kevin
Message 14 of 22
darrouxs

Yes, this works in 2014 - thanks!
Message 15 of 22
krogers-g&o
in reply to: darrouxs

Hi all,

I was having this issue where the blue circle would flicker with the crosshairs. Talked to our CAD guru and it was a simple fix. Open the Toolspace toolbar and switch the pulldown at the top from Active Drawing View to Master View. Once I did that, it stopped.

Message 16 of 22

Scott,

I was having the same issue with c3d 2016. Switching to 'master view' fixed my issue! No more headaches...

thanks,

phil

Message 17 of 22
G2theP
in reply to: philip_endrizzi

I had this issue in 2014 & 2016. Changing the drawing template file location to my C: drive fixed the problem. For some reason it was set to P: which is the root directory of a network drive containing hundreds of project folders which house thousands of sub folders and files. I can only assume C3D was constantly scanning this location for info as the flashing would alternate to the egg timer icon also.

Message 18 of 22
razzeng
in reply to: Palanlan

Hey everyone, if your template path under options doesn't have a template in it, then it will send the cursor into a spin.  Turns out we just fixed our path location this morning and wa la ; it stopped it entirely.  Hip Hip Hooray.

Message 19 of 22
tboehler

Changing to Master View (from Active Drawinhg View) in Toolspace did it.

Thanks.

Message 20 of 22
STUARTDAVIS

I know the original poster had found a solution, however I have found a different solution for the same problem (flickering cursor in a 2015 Civil3d drawing). I had created some volume surfaces using the Volumes Dashboard. The flickering cursor started but I didn't realize it at the time. It lasted for a few days, and I grew increasingly annoyed. My troubleshooting determined it was isolated to the one drawing. I went back and deleted the volume surfaces and this immediately fixed the problem. Try it out next time if you have volume surfaces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report