Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience with nVidia 310m?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
aniko10
2111 Views, 7 Replies

Any experience with nVidia 310m?

Hy there

I'm considering which laptop to buy myself, but I haven't got money for any workstation-class modell (I'm a student). There's a Samsung laptop with an nVidia 310m dedicated graphics card, but I'm not sure, if C3D (2009) accept it at all. Will it run ot that machine? What will I miss if I try to run c3D on a laptop-graphics card like this? (I rather use the program for 2D tasks)

Thanks for helping a rookie

Aniko
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
msmith
in reply to: aniko10

Can you list the full laptop spec or provide a link to the spec.

That card is not listed on the Autodesk Hardware list but that doesn't mean it will not work just that it hasen't been tested.

Put up the spec and I'll take a look.

Message 3 of 8
aniko10

It's a Samsung - NP-R528-DS02HU

# WXGA HD LED (1366 x 768)
# CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 (2,2 GHz, 800 MHz, 2 MB)
# HDD: 500 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA
# RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1066
# ODD: DVD Super Multi
# VGA: NVIDIA GeForce GT310M 512 MB VGA (D-SUB),

Thanks for helping!

Aniko
Message 4 of 8
msmith

# WXGA HD LED (1366 x 768)

- good

# CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 (2,2 GHz, 800 MHz, 2 MB)

- a little under powered, but at least its dual core. For CAD in general the higher the speed the better, it will run on a multi core system but it is not setup to take advantage of multiple cores. Basicly one core will run Civil the other will be used on anything that happens to be running at the same time.

# HDD: 500 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA

- our CAD machines always run 7200rpm harddrives but I assume this is a

# RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1066

- This is good, but does it have the option to upgrade later. You should

also look into setting the 3gb switch here (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9729516&linkID=9240697)

# ODD: DVD Super Multi

- good

# VGA: NVIDIA GeForce GT310M 512 MB VGA (D-SUB),

- not on the list but at least its a 512mb dedicated card

Not sure about windows 7 (for 2009), but all reviews say windows 7 generally runs better overall. If you have the option to upgrade the RAM later I would go for the 64 bit version; Civil 3D 2009 only runs in 32 compatibility mode but its still better to be in 64 bit mode to alocate any extra RAM to windows.

On a side note are you able to get a student version of Civil 3D 2011, they made alot of internal changes to this release; the resellers at the 2011 kickoff stated it runs about 40% faster. Operates in 64bit mode Windows 7, and accepts a 2.0Ghz dual core. Edited by: msmith@richardsonfoster.ca on May 11, 2010 9:18 PM
Message 5 of 8
aniko10

Thank you.

I'm checking the list, it's interesting, that the Intel GMA 4500, whitch is integrated, with far worse performance (compared to the 310m), is on the list. Should I get a cheaper notebook to make sure it's running C3D? The reseller don't buy back the notebook because it fails run C3D:)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

No.

I've been running C3D 2009-2011 on a Dell with a nVidia GeForce8600M GT for
2+ years. This card is not 'certified' either, but works just fine. A
'certified' card just means that Autodesk has tested it themselves, probably
with just one driver, and has found it to work within certain conditions.

I would venture to say that the 310m will function just fine.

As far as the processor goes, if you could upgrade that a few notches you'd
be better off. But looking at the US Samsung site they don't seem to offer
any upgrades...in fact they don't offer a notebook with the 310m here.

Jeff

"aniko10" wrote in message news:6389732@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Thank you.
>
> I'm checking the list, it's interesting, that the Intel GMA 4500, whitch
> is integrated, with far worse performance (compared to the 310m), is on
> the list. Should I get a cheaper notebook to make sure it's running C3D?
> The reseller don't buy back the notebook because it fails run C3D:)
Message 7 of 8
msmith

The intel is on the list, so the drivers will work as tested by autodesk, but you have to read deeper. With that you would need more ram and a better processor, as it it not dedicated it would be stealing from your 4GB of ram and using some of the dual core processor.

I didn't say the nvidia it wouldn't work, the drivers just haven't been tested by Autodesk, it is a 512mb dedicated which meets the minimum requirements. Edited by: msmith@richardsonfoster.ca on May 12, 2010 6:52 AM
Message 8 of 8
msmith

The intel is on the list, so the drivers will work as tested by autodesk, but you have to read deeper. With that you would need more ram and a better processor, as it it not dedicated it would be stealing from your 4GB of ram and using some of the dual core processor. I didn't say it wouldn't work, the drivers just haven't been tested by Autodesk, it is a 512mb dedicated which meets the minimum requirements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report