Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Video card question.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AllenJessup
343 Views, 7 Replies

Another Video card question.

What are people getting away with for video cards for Civil 3D lately. I've always been a Nvida Quadro fan. But with the current economy I'd like to save money where I can. So I'm looking for a few good suggestions.

The machine will basically be a Dell precision T7500 or there about with 12 GB RAM minimum.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

I've done a search of the group and looked at some posted configuration. It looks like people are happy with ATI Fire or Radeon. But it looks like Dell stuffs Nvidia Quadro 4000's in the T7500 & T7600 series. So it looks like we'll stick with those.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
rl_jackson

Allen,

Im using an older, i-930 custom with 6gb and 2 Geforce GTS250's (1GB ea.) an have no issue running C3D12. My work is survey related only, so corridor models are not an issue for me. You could probably get a system with the newer GTX series and it would probably work just fine.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: rl_jackson

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
dasindog

I've been using the Nvidia Quadro FX 580 for the past 3 years. Which has been just fine. But after upgrading to 24 GB of RAM and replacing my old hard disk with an SSD I have seen an unbelievable jump in performance for C3D 2013.  As I understand it Civil 3D doesn't really utilitze video cards that much anyway... it's just important to have one that is fully compatible with Civil 3D. 

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: dasindog

Yes. I saw a dramatic improvement upgrading from 4 to 12 GB RAM.

The unfortunate thing is that surprisingly we could get by with just upgrading our present Dell precision Workstations. However Dell does not support Window 7 on our machines (690's and T7400's). So our IT dept. will not upgrade them to Win 7. Right now they're running Win Xp 32-bit. The only 64-bit OS our IT will allow is Win 7. So although I know Win 7 will run on these we can't upgrade them. So in order to get more that 3.25 GB RAM we have to buy new computers. What you gona do?

Sorry for the rant. Sometimes it's just frustrating.Smiley Frustrated

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
dasindog

Yeah, that's not very sensible. With virtualization technology you could easily find our wether or not the hardware will work well with Win 7. It's hard to convice some people though. Good luck.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: dasindog

It's not even being able to find out if it works. My T7400 was upgraded before the policy was put in place and it works fine. It's just someone in upper management put the policy that no computers would be upgraded to Win 7 if the manufacturer support that machine with Win 7 and offer drivers. For a while I was using an XP 64-bit driver for an old plotter. So I don't feel that's much of an issue.

But once a policy is in place your not going to get past it. After all. We're the Government and we're here to help.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report