Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative Scaling

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Pointdump
738 Views, 5 Replies

Annotative Scaling

I understand how Annotative Scaling works in Vanilla AutoCAD, but I'm not sure how it works in Civil 3D.

First, the Point Symbol. I set the Marker Size to "Use drawing scale". No problem there.

Anno_1.png

Then things get more complicated. The Label Style depends on a Text Style, thusly:

Anno_2.png

So how does that affect the Text Height in the Label Style Composer? In the Text Style Manager, should I keep the Height at 0.00? Should I check the "Annotative" box?

Anno_3.png

Does Text Height in the Label Style Composer overrule everything else?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jeff_M
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

I understand how Annotative Scaling works in Vanilla AutoCAD, but I'm not sure how it works in Civil 3D.

Does Text Height in the Label Style Composer overrule everything else?

Dave

Yes. The Text Style is used solely for determing the base font & width of the label, the height comes from the Text Height setting in the style.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 6
Jay_B

"should I keep the Height at 0.00?"
Yes it's generally a good practice to leave this set to zero in the Text Style dialog.
This way if this same text style is used in a linetype definition which
uses text it won't adversely affect the linetype scaling.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks, Jeff and Jay. So should I leave the "Annotative" box unchecked in the Text Style Manager? What happens if I check it?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 6
Jeff_M

@Pointdump wrote:

Thanks, Jeff and Jay. So should I leave the "Annotative" box unchecked in the Text Style Manager? What happens if I check it?

Dave

C3D ignores the Annotative setting of the Text Style. I have all of my styles set to Annotative so I can use them in normal Text/Mtext/Attributes. I should note that I have my Text Styles setup with set heights (L80 = 0.08, L100=0.10, etc.). Others prefer the 0 height, but I have never liked that direction.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

Jay had a good point about keeping the Height to 0.00 to forestall problems with text in a linetype definition. I haven't used any of those kinds of linetypes yet.

So, to sum up, any C3D Style, including Label and Table Styles, will overrule the Text Style Manager. If there's no C3D Style involved, like Dimensions and Multi-Leaders, standard Vanilla Annotative Scaling applies.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report