Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative C3D labels...

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
castled071049
1253 Views, 10 Replies

Annotative C3D labels...

Am I correct that setting the annotative scale and the standard scale to different scales in a non-display-locked viewport has no effect on C3D labels? (i.e. the labels scale to the standard scale regardless of the annotative scale setting.) In this case, I'm particularly interested in parcel labels.

Thanks,

C3D v.2012

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: castled071049

Hi Jerry,

When you say Standard Scale, do you mean the scale you set in Drawing Settings? If so, no, that's not correct. When working on Layouts, inside viewports, Civil 3D labels scale to the zoom scale, without regard to Cannoscale or drawing scale. Zoom by window (giving you a weird scale like 0.0034 or whatever) and then regen and you'll see what I mean.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
castled071049
in reply to: tcorey

I think I'm trying to say what you said. (See attached screen shot.) When you look at a viewport's properties, it words the viewport scale as "Standard Scale" and the annotation scale as "Annotation Scale." In this case, the annotation is set at 1:40 and the zoom ("standard") scale at 1:100. The C3D labels scale to 1:100 and ignore, as you pointed out, the annotation scale.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Tim.

Jerry.

Message 4 of 11
AllenJessup

You're correct. Annotation Scale only affects AutoCAD Annotation objects not Civil 3D labels.

You can make some styles with a static height as shown below as long as your drawing scale remains the same. You have to create an expression for each size. This way the height is not affected by zooming in a layout.

fh2.png

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
LeafRiders
in reply to: AllenJessup

I think this is for real, but I sure was hoping for a better solution. Oh well better luck next time. When you create all you style remember to always create them in a 1:1 context. Never deviate from that or you'll end up cussing about how you can't plot something to scale because your labels are out to lunch. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Neilw_05

Before you put a lot of work into setting up styles you should have a clear understanding of how you want them to behave. With today's annotation technology you should not need to account for final plot scale when setting up styles. In other words you should configure text, dimensions, blocks, and anything else that is scale dependent to have the dimensions you want them to be when plotted.(i.e. set text height=0.10 for 0.10 plotted text). The software is designed to automatically compensate by applying a multiplier to the size according to the plot scale.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: LeafRiders

The trick to what I'm doing is that these are only Point Label Styles and they are only used for proposed points, mainly top of curb. When I do details of an area, I want the relationship between the point labels and the drawing to stay the same. I've never tried this with any other style.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
tcorey

That's a slick solution, Allen. Expressions make so many more options available...

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 11
BrianHailey

For anyone that's interseted, here's a blog post I wrote that explains how to use the expression that Allen showed to get text to not scale:

http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/labels-with-text-that-doesnt-scale-youre-kidding-right/

And just to clarify a bit, the expression Allen showed will create text that is 0.8' tall in the model so if you try to plot that at any sort of normal scale, it will basically be a dot but when used in the model, it will always be 0.8' regardless of the drawing or viewport scale.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks Tim. As with many workarounds in Civil 3D, I learned it on this newsgroup.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: BrianHailey

@BrianHailey wrote:

And just to clarify a bit, the expression Allen showed will create text that is 0.8' tall in the model so if you try to plot that at any sort of normal scale, it will basically be a dot but when used in the model, it will always be 0.8' regardless of the drawing or viewport scale.

That would be true if I were working in Feet Smiley Wink

But since I probably learned the technique from your blog I wont quibble.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report