Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignments not shown in prospector

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
areese9779
2996 Views, 10 Replies

Alignments not shown in prospector

Hi all,

I recently inserted an existing design drawing that contained 12 alignments, each with existing and proposed profiles, as well as a corridor using those alignments/profiles, and a surface created from all of that. Everything inserted correctly, all my alignments, all my profiles, profile views, corridor, and surface are correct and visible. Then I noticed that, although I can see, select, and edit my alignments in the drawing, they are not showing up in the prospector tree. I have tried audit, purge, -pu, closed and reopened the drawing, closed and reopened C3D, yet they just won't show up in the Prospector. Everything else about the drawing appears to be fine, so I was just going to keep on keepin' on, but thought I would check with other users before I started trusting the file too much. Has anyone seen this before? Should I be worried? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Civil 3D 2009 SP 2.1
Windows XP, Up to date
Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
KPerison
in reply to: areese9779

I have run into this in previous releases where the alignments would not show up in the toolspace. I'm not sure if this is the case for you, but what I traced my problem back to was that my Site name was called "Site". For some reason C3D does not like you to use that name. Another user in our company had this same problem in C3D2009 as well. To solve it, create a new site called anything but "Site". (ie: Site1) Then right click each alignment and select "Move to Site..." . Select the new site you just created. Presto it will show up in the toolspace.
Message 3 of 11
klugb

If you want your alignments in sites.

We do not, and when you insert a project drawing and explode it during the insert it will move all of you alignments that WERE NOT in sites under Site 1. It also renames EVERY civil 3D object with (1) in the name. You will not see them in the prospector until after you save and re-open the drawing.

If you insert a drawing and then explode it after the fact your alignments will stay under the alignments on the prospector tree, but everything still gets renamed 😞

Bruce
Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 4 of 11
areese9779

It appears you are both correct. We do not keep our alignments in a site, and when it was inserted and exploded, it was placed in site1. Once I moved the alignments back to site , they showed up just fine. And yes, I had to go through and rename everything to get rid of the (1) on the end of the names. Kind of annoying, but not as annoying as the (1)!

Thanks for the help guys!

Andy
Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 5 of 11
dgordon

Andy,

Just a side note. Corridors can't be cut and pasted into a new drawing. At least as of 2008 sp2.

Data references could have been made out of all the C3D objects, except for the corridor. Then these objects could be shared into other drawings, instead of making dupilicates of the information that can now change in two different drawings.

Dan

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

andydufresne wrote:
> I recently inserted an existing design drawing that contained 12
> alignments, (...snip snip...) Everything inserted correctly, all my
> alignments, (...snip snip...) they are not showing up in the
> prospector tree.

This was defect 119075, which has been fixed for Civil 3D 2010.

In C3D 2010 the alignment names continue to be appended with "(1)" - if
you'd like a change in functionality for that, please file a
subscription support request with Autodesk. Thank you.

--
Himanshu Gohel. Civil 3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Autodesk Civil 3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Civil Engineering Community Portal: http://civilcommunity.autodesk.com
Message 7 of 11
klugb

So the "FIX" was only for the fact they get moved under "Site1" (in certain situations) only?

The fact that they are renamed wasn't fixed? Why?

Bruce
Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

klugb wrote:
> So the "FIX" was only for the fact they get moved under "Site1" (in
> certain situations) only?
>
> The fact that they are renamed wasn't fixed? Why?

Bruce

The defect that was reported to us (much before this message was posted
here) was that alignments were not showing up in prospector when INSERT
with explode option was used. That has been corrected, and does not
depend on any particular site or site name.

The renaming issue was not reported as a problem, which is why I
suggested that if it is in fact an issue for you, it should be reported
so that it may be considered for a change.

Hope that clarifies the matter.

--
Himanshu Gohel. Civil 3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Autodesk Civil 3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Civil Engineering Community Portal: http://civilcommunity.autodesk.com
Message 9 of 11
klugb

We already went through this: SR 1-4727649981.

Unfortunately, the rename of everything was not noted after the last phone call, only the issue of alignments ending up under a site.

For us, it was discovered when we were trying to come up with a good way to update an existing drawing with C3D data in it with our latest company "standard" template.

The insert method does not work.... Besides the moving of alignments and renaming of everything, it destroys the data shortcuts.

Bruce
Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 10 of 11
areese9779

Bruce,

Out of curiosity, did you come up with a good way to update a drawing with your company's new template? That is exactly what I was trying to do when I came across my little problem with the alignments. To date the only two ways I have come up with are two insert and explode, which certainly has its issues, or to drag and drop the particular styles from the dwt to my current drawing. Is there any other method that you have come across that is effective?

Andy
Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 11 of 11
klugb

Not really, the only effective way is using the Engneered Efficiency tools. I tested it and it worked pretty good, but that was about the time we froze most salaries, rescinded any extra spending, and started layoff's. I wasn't about to ask for more money.

At this point we are forced to "drag & drop" when needed. We use the data shortcuts a lot and don't want to have to rebuild all the connections because of the "insert" problems.

Bruce
Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report