Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignments into different layers

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1994 Views, 12 Replies

Alignments into different layers

I have more than 100 alignments of a road network in Civil 3d. I want to assign seperate layer for each alignment. Is there any easy way to do this?

I changed the layers for a few alignments and exported them to Autocad 2007 format, but the centrelines were in single layer only.

Ajay Anand

CIVIL 3d 2011

DELL  PRECISION T3500

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to set up your Object layers on the settings tab prior to creating the alignments. You can add the name of the alignment to the base layer name

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
mathewkol

Indeed Joe, at this point it's a manual process.

As far as exporting to AutoCAD, the style you use and the way it's configured will affect which layers are used when exported.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 13
troma

@Anonymous wrote:

I have more than 100 alignments of a road network in Civil 3d. I want to assign seperate layer for each alignment. Is there any easy way to do this?

I changed the layers for a few alignments and exported them to Autocad 2007 format, but the centrelines were in single layer only.

Ajay Anand

CIVIL 3d 2011

DELL  PRECISION T3500

I think this is a style layer versus object layer issue.  Copy the style that the alignments are on, change the layer in the new style, put one alignment on the new style.  Then do the export again.  I think the alignments will be on the layer specified in the style.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

exporting to autocad drawign is secondary. assisgning every alignments into seperate layers is the main issue.

Message 6 of 13
andrewpuller3811

For the purposes of getting them to autocad in seperate layers try this -

1. In your original drawing, export all the alignments out to xml, using "Export to LandXML" on the "Export" panel of the "Output" tab of the ribbon, or right click the "Alignments" node on the "Prospector" tab of the "Toolspace" pallette, and choose "Export LandXML..." and save the XML file. (note the location you will need it shortly)
  2. Create a new blank drawing.
  3. On the "Settings" tab of the "Toolspace" pallette, right click on the new drawings name right at the top, and choose "Edit Drawing Settings..."
  4. In the "Drawing Settings" dialogue, select the "Object Layers" tab.
  5. Change the settings for the Alignment object so that you have a base name for your alignment layers in the "Layer" column, then whether you want a suffix or prefix to add to the base layer name in the "Modifier" column, then in the value column, add " *" without the quotes to have the alignment name added to the base layer name.
  6. When done, click "OK" to close the "Drawing Settings" dialogue.
  7. Switch to the "Insert" tab of the ribbon.
  8. Select the "LandXML" command from the "Import" panel.
  9. Choose the XML file you saved earlier, and click "Open"
  10. Select (or unselect) the object you want to import (or don't want to import - note that the units, project name and application desc cannot be unselected), then Click "OK" to import your chosen objects into your new drawing.
  11. The alignments should now be in seperate layers based on your layer setting.
  12. You can now export this file to autocad then copy and paste the alignments (now lines/polylines?) in this exported file into your exported file you created earlier. (probably best to delete the exported alignment objects from the old export file before pasting in the new ones)

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 13

Just had a thought about the effects the alignment style might have on the above procedure.

Make sure your alignment style that is used for all the alignments has the Layers for all the components set to layer 0 before you do the export to autocad format, or all the exported alignment components get put on the layer set in the alignment style rather than the layer the alignmnets are actually in.

I just tested and confirmed this behaviour. exporting the alignments with the alignment style component layers set to something other than 0 drops all the exported components into the layer set in the alignmnet style.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

I tried like you said. But when imported all the alignments are taken into a single layer in the new drawing. New layers are not created.

Message 9 of 13
andrewpuller3811

Sorry, I wasn't real clear on which drawing you have to set your alignment style layers to 0. You have to set the layers to 0 in the alignment styles in the new empty drawing, not the one you are exporting from.

I would set the layers on all the alignment styles in the new drawing just in case, not just one.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

I changed the alignment style layers to 0 in the new drawing. Every alignments are gone into the layer speciified in object tab of EDIT DRAWING SETTINGS OPTION

The tried with suffix and prefix to make layer with alignment names. That isn't working.

Message 11 of 13
andrewpuller3811

Can you attach the XML file with the alignments in it and what name you want as a prefix on the layers?

I will give it a go here.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

I am attaching the xml file here. I will like to have each alignment in each different layer.

I want the alignment names as prefix or suffix for layer name.

Message 13 of 13
andrewpuller3811

Attached is a drawing based on the NCS metric template with modified alignment styles and drawing object layer settings. I used the NCS standard layer name and modified it to add the alignment name to the end for each alignment.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report