Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment stationing set to the wrong units

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mohara
5286 Views, 8 Replies

Alignment stationing set to the wrong units

I created an alignment from an existing line and am having an issue with the stationing.  The length of the original line is about 14,666 ft but when I convert it to an alignment it is 1,222 (1/12 of original).  Is there a way to fix this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: mohara

This looks like a classic feet / inches problem, but the typical case would have the alignment 12 times too long. You could scale the alignment by a factor of 12, but where it is could be way off. Is there a surface / survey points as part of the project?

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
mohara
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

I can't scale it because it is the correct length now, in terms of the rest of the drawing.  The alignment was created from a shape file line that I inserted into the drawing. 

Message 4 of 9
sboon

I'm confused - did the actual length of the alignment change from the original line, or is it just the station labels that are wrong?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 9
mohara
in reply to: sboon

The station labels are wrong.

Message 6 of 9
sboon

It sounds like there's something wrong with your station label settings then, but I cannot imagine how a shape file that was in feet and a drawing file with it's units in feet would create alignment labels that are 1/12 th of a foot.

Is it possible that your label styles are using an expression somewhere?  Can you post the drawing?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 9
peterfunkautodesk

My guess is that the drawing is off and not the alignment labels. While the alignment may be correct in relationship with the other parts of the shape file, it is labeled correctly. I bet the whole drawing is 12 times too small. Make sure that you have started with a template file that is correct for Civil 3D and not acad.dwt or anything set to inches / architectural units.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 9
mohara
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

It looks like you are right and the original drawing I was adding to is not correct, in that it seems to need to be scaled up by 12.  I want the shape file coordinates to be accurate, so that I can add use it with my GPS survey, is there a good way to do this?  I know I can xref my background map at an increased scale, but I don't see that option for the mapimport command.

Message 9 of 9
johnthoreson

I had the same problem you started with.  

I resolved the issue by first going to:

Application Menu (the "A" button at the upper left hand corner of the screen) > Drawing Utilities > Drawing Settings 

Then, I set Drawing units to Feet.  This variable was set to Inches before.  Yes, I started with an AutoCAD template, not a C3D template, because I wanted as clean a drawing as possible when I started.

Changing the drawing unit variable also changed text and tick sizes for the label styles I was using for the alignment, so I went into Toolspace > Settings and updated the styles accordingly.  

After these changes, C3D behaved as anticipated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report