Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment linetype scale

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mnorton
1560 Views, 10 Replies

Alignment linetype scale

My data referenced alignment linetype will not display at an ltscale less than 2.  All other object linetypes using the same linetype display correctly.  Any ideas?

Mike Norton - The Civil Guy
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
troma
in reply to: mnorton

Model space or paper space or plot preview?

But if the others are working I guess that's not the problem.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 11
ToddRogers-WPM

Still having this issue I see.  It's about time you posted it!!

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 11
sjg
Advisor

Check the alignment style itself, maybe the LTSCALE for plan view has been adjusted.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 5 of 11
troma
in reply to: sjg

I saw an issue elsewhere that linetype generation doesn't work for a data shortcut profile from surface.  Apparantly it works in the original file, and a layout one works in data shortcut, but the data shortcut profile from surface doesn't.

I'm sure it works in 2011, I think that was a bug in a newer version.  I wonder if you are seeing something similar with alignments?

Mark Green

Message 6 of 11
mnorton

TROMA, it's happening in model space and paper space and I checked the alignment style ltscale.  It's just so weird that any ltscale above 2 works.

Yeah, Todd, it's happening again.  My solution last time was to leave the original entity behind the alignment object and not display the alignment.  This is the  5th version of this alignment so it's a pain to edit everything twice - a 600 mile original and (4) 150 mile+/- subsets.

Message 7 of 11
SurveyorLee

I do not use alignments often, so this may not work.  I had the same trouble with what was supposed to be 2D lines.

They were 3D and when the elevation difference was applied to them, they looked lie they were solid lines.

When flattened, they displayed correctly.  This could be your trouble, if you have much difference between the beginnign and end of the lines.

Lee

Message 8 of 11
troma

If you have checked the alignment style, the layer that the alignment style is using, and the layer that the alignment is on, to no avail;

if other linework is working and just this one alignment is not;

if you have checked there is not some strange z value involved (although I can't see how it could be with an alignment);

I have a possible workaround for you to try:

Create a polyline instead and turn off your alignment style.

Easiest way to do this IMHO is to use an offset.  Use the regular old offset command on your alignment, and it will create a polyline on the same object layer as the alignment, at the offset distance.  Then offset the polyline back that same distance.  (If you have tight curves, don't offset too much or they could get lost)

Another option: copy the alignment and explode the copy.  Pedit lines & curves to a polyline.

Or if it's a short one you could just trace it.

Not a solution to your problem, but a workable way to keep your drawings moving along! 

Mark Green

Message 9 of 11
Jeff_M

Mike, this sounds like a huge project. Would you be willing to let me have a look at the drawings? You can post them to a Dropbox account or Autdesk360 and let me know the link to get them at jeffm AT quuxsoft DOT com Would need both the source and target drawings.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 11
mnorton

Lee,

Thanks for the suggestion but my struggle is to get the linetype to appear at an ltscale less than 2.  It appears fine with ltscale set to 2 and above.

Message 11 of 11
mnorton
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

Thanks for the offer but my company won't allow me to post active project data to anyone other than our clients.

It is a large project but building my data with data referencing is working well.  Each of my sites (with surface and alignment data) opens in just a few seconds.  Oddly, it takes longer for me to save a drawing than to open it.

As I mentioned earlier to Todd, the work-around I'm using is to leave the originating polyline visible and not display the alignment.  The problem is, there have now been six versions of this alignment and there very well may be more.  Maintaining both elements is a nuisance but do-able.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report