Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment Units

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
452 Views, 3 Replies

Alignment Units

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012

Hey all,

I am trying to create an alignment from existing polyline that I had recieved from another companies drawing.  It was alignment in their drawing but only comes through as linework. That's not the problem.  The problem is that when I try and create a new alignment out of the existing polyline, the units are way off.  the existing drawing had ticks every 100 feet obviously, but after I create my alignment, I get like 400-500 feet in before the existing one gets 100.  Trying to find a scale issue, but not seeing one.

any ideas?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
owenmull
in reply to: Anonymous

I hate to ask the dumb question here, but is it a 3d poly line? It needs to be a 2D polyline for the "Create Alignment from Objects" command to work properly.

Perhaps post a copy of the drawing in question, and we can narrow this down.

-owenmull

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.  Well, I think I kind of figured it out.  The incoming drawing with polyline was in engineering units.  I switched the units over to Decimal and measured the polyline again.  It was exactly 12 times larger.  So, I scaled the incoming file down 1/12 and now everything is fitting so far.  I know when we get some architecural files, etc. sometimes we have to do some scaling and I'm hoping that is the only fix.  I'll re-post if I find an error with this change.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4
owenmull
in reply to: Anonymous

Not a problem.

If only Architects could stop designing in fantasy units, the world would be a much better place.

I have a hard time explaining to Architexts why you can't put 1000 lbs. on a toothpick.........................

-owenmull

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report