Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment/Corridor/Superelevation Error

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jwhal
2116 Views, 10 Replies

Alignment/Corridor/Superelevation Error

Using Civil 3D 2012 SP 1 on Win7 Pro 64-bit. 

Is there any reason why a corridor model would not be respecting the manually entered superelevation values in the alignment? I have several stations that should be calculated with even superelevation values, but they aren't. For example, at station 0+080 on my alignment the left crown should be running at -3%, but it is actually being calculated at -2.47%. It isn't just one station; it's most of them. No overridden stations, vertical targets, etc in the corridor. Just a fairly straight-forward align (hor/vert) with super, simple assembly (two lanes, shoulder, daylight), simple corridor.

What gives?

Thanks,

Jon

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: jwhal

I haven't had any problem with manually entered data. We create alignment/profile in one dwg, then dref that into our corridor dwg.  You might check that the correct lane is being applied from your assembly to your super. It makes a difference.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 11
klugb

Do you only have one section/curve defined for 3% super and nothing else defined?

We have seen issues where it will start at 0% at the start of the alignment and prorate it down to the station where the 3% is defined, thus giving a bunch of odd grades.

We had to go back and define all the "normal crown" areas in the super table.
Bruce

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 4 of 11
jwhal
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Hi Lisa,

I tried it with both Left Lane Inside and Outside. Same result.

Jon

Message 5 of 11
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Is your workflow to go through the wizard and assign the supers to the entire alignment, then manually edit? Perhaps if you upload a dwg.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 6 of 11
jwhal
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Sorry, I've been away from the project for a week.

Everything is contained within the one drawing. I added the super manually using the tabular editor. The road has varying crowns and not "proper" superelevation. It's a mill and overlay, and we must match what's there (steep fill slopes).

See the attached image showing the tabular editor. I've gone as far as entering the crown for every station. I've attached a pdf of the slope stake report as well.

You'll notice the following stations are reporting differently than what I entered:

98.085-140.000

220-260

280-320

390-410

While it's not off much, it's off, and I'd like to know why.

Subassembly crown by default is -3.00%.

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. I'll have to punch the data into a spreadsheet for now. Contractor wants the layout this week.

Thanks for any insight!

Jon 

Message 7 of 11
klugb

I'm sure you have, but I'll ask. Did you rebuild the corridor before running the report? We can make changes to the superelevation and it does NOT prompt for a rebuild.

The data looks correct. I'm with Lisa, I think we need to see the drawing at this point to see what's going on.

bruce (dot) klug (at) clark (dot) wa (dot) gov

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 8 of 11
jwhal
in reply to: klugb

Definitely rebuilt the corridor. Many, many times.

I'll have to email you the dwg; it's too large to attach (4mb's).

Thanks again!

Jon

Message 9 of 11
klugb

Ah, a good challenge, but I think I found it Smiley Happy

It appears when the superelvation wizard was used the "curve smoothing" was on and set for 50m. When I plotted the superelevation you can see where it deviates from the design grades, thus giving you weird grades. RT-Click on the table column headings and turn on the "Curve Smoothing" column. You can set them back to "0". That should take care of it.

See the image.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 10 of 11
jwhal
in reply to: klugb

Thank you Bruce. That was exactly it. I had the "curve smoothing" column hidden. For some reason, it defaults to 50m, but the problem is fixed now. I don't recall running the wizard though Smiley Indifferent. Thanks again!

Jon

Message 11 of 11
klugb

No problem, glad I could help. I have benefited from others on here, so I'm re-paying my dues Smiley Happy

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report