Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align Polyline onto another polyline

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
tpcc79
3883 Views, 21 Replies

Align Polyline onto another polyline

Hi

Was wondering if anyone knows a way I can align a new polyline to a reference polyline (orig polyline).

The 2 polys will be generally the same length, however, the number of vertices will differ.

Also I need to mantain the same distance between the vertices on the new poly and the new and reference poly won't follow the same direction.

Looking for any help thats out there.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
gjrcmb
in reply to: tpcc79

See if the ALIGN command will do what you are looking for?

Message 3 of 22
tpcc79
in reply to: gjrcmb

No the align command is for a simple straight line adjustment. This isn't what I'm doing.

I'm looking for a way for the the new polyline to 'lie' directly ontop of the reference poly, without the overall length of the new poly changing and the distances between distances between th vertices staying the same.

Message 4 of 22
Joe-Bouza

read the command line and answer in the negative to scale objects

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 22
tpcc79
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Once again, it is not a simple straight line adjustment, so the align command doesn't suit.

The 2 polys are generally the same length, with different numbers of vertices and different distances between vertices.

I need the new polyline to align - as close as possible - to the reference poly in all directions and at all vertices, not simply the start and end points.

Message 6 of 22
gjrcmb

The parameters, criteria, and how you would go about implementing a solution seem pretty confusing.  Depending on the polylines you are wanting to align to each other the parameters change,  so how do you define a standard way of handling it, even if the polylines are somewhat similar.

So I think that maybe you have to take a stepped approach.  Just speculating here!  Maybe you could use the "Create Line By Best Fit" to fit a line through each polyline possibly using the regression analysis to adjust the fit, then use the "Align" command to align one polyline-fitted line set to the other by using the fitted lines, and then move or adjust one of the polylines along the Align fitted line so that the beginning or ending match up the way you want to.  Does that make any sense?

If not perhaps a drawing would help?

Message 7 of 22
Joe-Bouza

How bout a picture?

When you say align, the inference is that you want to correlate two or more points in space to two or more point in a different space that share congruency. If the poly lines are not congruent then how can you expect them to align?

What are you asking to do? Post a picture

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 22
Chasethewind

I have this exact situation, and would like to know if there is a way to accomplish this task.  Here is a pic.

The polyline that is gripped needs to be aligned with the red line.  I typically grab the grip and move it perpendicular to the red line.

Note*  I am aware of the straighted command under pedit, but that removes verticies.

Thanks

Message 9 of 22
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Chasethewind

If I understand correctly, the only way I know is manually:

Lets take the left side first: Hot grip your linefrom the vertice on the red line away from the arc, when you get to the end hold the last grip with the ctrl key; now pull the last grip toward the red line. If the line is equal to or less than the red line snap to it. If your line is longer than the red line: use the extension snap or draw a construction line before you begin.

Why is it not easier to redraw this geometry?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 22
BrianHailey

Oh! I wish I had Civil 3D on this computer, it would make answering this so much easier!

Let's see if I can find the command in the help system...

Here we go, perhaps THIS will help you out.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 22
autoMick

So have I got this right? You want to:

- determine the distance between each vertex on your original polyline

- scale these distances, so that the total length is the same as your target polyline?? Or keep them the same? (is the target polyline always longer than the original ?).

- then draw in vertices on your target polyline at the scaled distances determined in the steps above?

what about vertices that already exist on the target polyline?

I don't have an exact solution, but I can't help thinking that the solution is somehow going to involve creating alignments from the polylines and using station distance to create the new points.

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 12 of 22
fcernst

"I typically grab the grip and move it perpendicular to the red line."

Is this what you are looking to do? Perpendicular projections of the polyline vertices, that are then used to create a new polyline on top of the reference polyline?

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 22
Chasethewind
in reply to: BrianHailey

The link only goes to the help menu in Civil3D 2012.  Can you tell me what command you found please.

The gripped line is actually a shape file that I have to edit, so redrawing the shapefile is out.  I would lose too much information the field crews collected.

Cory

Message 14 of 22
Chasethewind
in reply to: fcernst

"Is this what you are looking to do? Perpendicular projections of the polyline vertices, that are then used to create a new polyline on top of the reference polyline?"

This is what i would like to do, but I do not want to create a new polyline, I want to have the original line "Projected" to the reference line.

Cory

Message 15 of 22
fcernst

If you guys have to do this frequently, I would recommend contacting Terry Dotson at DotSoft, this routine is right up his alley of offerings.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 22

Map 3D (and Civil 3D) has a rubber-sheet transformation command:  ADERSHEET.  It allows the selection of multiple from-to point pairs. 

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 17 of 22

This command is similar to what I want, but still I have to select every vertex and tell it to go perpendicular to the reference line.  Unless I am missing something.

Cory

Message 18 of 22
TerryDotson

Thanks, I've began experimenting with some geometry based on Chasethewind's ALIGN.JPG.  If I understand correctly, the points of the original polyline (black) would be projected to the red polyline and would take on the locations of the circles.  The bisector of two vertices would determine the direction, then intersect at the target vector.

align-ex.png

If this is all there is to it, it's about an hours work.

Message 19 of 22
fcernst
in reply to: TerryDotson

Yes, move the vertices on the original polyline to the projected locations on the target polyline.

Would want to do all this, in only two-clicks, one click on each polyline.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 20 of 22
TerryDotson

After some thought, the tool needs a Perpendicular option as well.  So you could use Bisector/Perpendicular.  Yes, two picks would do it and it's not radically different than our existing Polyline Midway tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report