Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alien Signals

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mcloughlin
559 Views, 6 Replies

Alien Signals

At unpredictable times, and only in paper space, we see a tiny white rectangle.  We cannot select this object, or zoom in on it; it maintains its size at any scale, although it will move if one pans the paper space view.  It does not appear at the UCS origin or at any other discernible reference point; it disappears if one moves the cursor off the drawing and onto, say, the ribbon, but reappears once one begins to work in the drawing area again.  

What is it?  How do we get rid of it?  It's like being bugged by gnats on a hot day.  I append a screenshot with the subject entity outlined in green at the lower left.    

Thanks!

Mystery Object 01 Jul 2014.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mcloughlin

Is NAVBARDISPLAY set to 0?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mcloughlin
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yes, NAVBARDISPLAY is set to 0.

Message 4 of 7
jmayo-EE

Can you post a file?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
mcloughlin
in reply to: jmayo-EE

It's a big file.  

My problem is that this object appears only intermittently; I can't get it to appear on purpose.  

On the other hand, the matter may not be sufficiently critical to post a file of this size.  It's more on the order of hourglass-as-cursor-in-layer-list-window magnitude, an irritant rather than a life-threatening assault.  

Thanks anyway.  

Message 6 of 7
doni49

Let's look for patterns as to when it does/doesn't appear.

1. You said that when you move your mouse over a ribbon, it disappears.  But then when you move your mouse back over the drawing view, it reappears.  So it's safe to say that once it initially appears, it STAYS (except for those previously mentioned circumstances)?
  2. You said it's not at the UCS.  But is it always at the same location (either relative to your screen, drawing or viewport -- or relatvie to anything else that you can make note of)?
  3. Does it do this with ONE drawing only? 
    1. What happens if someone else opens it on their PC?
    2. What happens if someone else logs on to this PC and tries it?
  4. The next time it happens, make a note of what's happened in the previous 5-10 min or so.  i.e. what command have you performed?   If you do this enough, you'll likely see a pattern.  Once you see a pattern, you can narrow down what's causing it.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 7
Jeff_M

I've seen this many times, never did figure out what causes it. As you say, it is merely an annoyance (and a small one at that) so I barely even notice it any more.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report