Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for Newer User with Complicated Corridor Creation

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
d4dooley2
345 Views, 2 Replies

Advice for Newer User with Complicated Corridor Creation

I am looking for some advice as to how go about creating a finished grade surface via multiple alignments & profiles with superelevation...  I am not new to Civil 3D, but have never had to create a surface as complicated as this one before (I have only done simple corridors in the past). I have done some reading, but am still a little unsure as to which way to go. Here is the situation...

I have 5 separate alignments all with individual profiles. 2 of them need to have superelvation (divided highway each with a difference alignment and profile, not a paralleling situation).

My initial thought was to create separate corridors for each one, and merge the surfaces into 1 final surface. That did not work well though, as the final surface still had many gaps and overlaps, and was just very bad (i.e. the median between the 2 roadways). Also, I believe that doing it this way would create issues when I eventually try to make cross sections of the entire design on one section (from what I've read).

So now I am thinking that I should just use 1 corridor. It would seem that using offset alignments with one corridor would be possible, and is what is suggested in a book that I found, however, I read somewhere that you cannot use superelevation with offset alignments. Is this true?

The other way would be to use 1 corridor separate Baselines for each alignment and profile. Would superelevation be able to work this way?  So what would be an experts advice as to how to approach this type of model?

Also, eventually would I be able to see 1 singe cross-section of the entire corridor with each baseline assembly shown.  Would that be possible as well?

Thanks in advance for your help and any advice as to how to pursue with setting this up.

Kevin

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sboon
in reply to: d4dooley2

After reading the description of what you're trying to do I think you should look into using Assembly Offsets.

You could have one master alignment and profile, used for corridor station control only and two side alignments which the assemblies are actually built.  Each of the assemblies would be perpendicular to it's own alignment and would use that superelevation etc.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 3
d4dooley2
in reply to: d4dooley2

Thanks, Steve.  Everything that I have read points to assembly offsets as well, and I have used them before.  However, I have also read that they cannaot have superelevation applied to them.  Am I mistaken?

I have tried moving forward with using seperate baselines in a single corridor, and it seems to be working out.  I ran into a snag when trying to use LinktoMarkedPoint2 to connect grades between asseblies on different baselines.  I wasn't sure what was wrong with it.  Maybe it cannot go to other assemblies in other baselines?  Regardles, I tried creating a surface without any links between assemblies/baselines and C3D connected them as just a Top link, which is all I really needed anyway.  I think it worked because I did not create any surface boundaries intially when creating the surface.

Do you see any fatal flaws as to what I am describing above?

Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report