Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding profile elevations to alignment labels

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
tr4driver
7345 Views, 17 Replies

Adding profile elevations to alignment labels

Is there a way in C3D to add elevation information from a profile to an alignment label? What I'm trying to do is add labels to an alignment in a plan view with elevation information from a profile design associated with that alignment at a particular station. For example, the note would read:

ALIGNMENT B
STA: 12+83.67
ELEV: 435.87

I can't figure out how to add any elevation data to the alignment note. I really don't want to have to create a section and a corridor surface, but that's the only way I can think of right now... and I'm not sure that would actually let me add a station and elevation in the same note in a plan view.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kurt
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
bscott
in reply to: tr4driver

Modify your station and offset label style to add a "Reference Text" and pick "profile" as the kind of reference. In the contents section, there is an option for profile elevation.

If you some screen shots, let me know and I'll create them for you to see.
Bryan_S
Windows 10 Enterprise
2.40 GHz Dual Xeon Six-Core 64bit / 32gig ram
Nvidia Quadro M4000
3DConnexion CAD Mouse
Message 3 of 18
tr4driver

Thanks for the quick reply. I added the "Reference Text" label and picked "Profile", but all I get are "???" in my label. I couldn't find the option to select the actual profile to use, and all my alignments have two profiles associated with them (an existing ground and a design profile).

Thanks again for steering me in what I hope is the right direction.

Kurt
Message 4 of 18
tr4driver

Hey... figured it out. I have to go associate each label with the appropriate profile.

Thanks again!

Kurt
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

Hint: Once you have the Label Style done (you have this), then add ONE label
and set the appropriate profiles.....now COPY that label everywhere else you
can use it, that way you only need to associate the profiles once per
alignment/profile pair.

"tr4driver" wrote in message news:6388837@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Hey... figured it out. I have to go associate each label with the
> appropriate profile.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Kurt
Message 6 of 18
bscott

Right on, Brotha Jeff, right on. 🙂

Bryan
Bryan_S
Windows 10 Enterprise
Nvidia Quadro M4000
3DConnexion CAD Mouse
Message 7 of 18
bscott

For "association", use your properties window. Pick your label, then find the profile line in the data section...

Using Jeff's method, you will find that you can apply that way of labeling a lot more than just your alignment labels, a lot faster...I mean, reference text in a callout will reference whatever you assign as the reference- ie a surface, alignment, profile, ect... the options are all in your style.

Have fun,
Bryan
Bryan_S
Windows 10 Enterprise
Nvidia Quadro M4000
3DConnexion CAD Mouse
Message 8 of 18
tr4driver

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Kurt
Message 9 of 18
eduardo.frias

Hi, I was looking for help about this topic, and I found your messages.

I already have my MAJOR STATION LABEL STYLE edited with the profile reference text, and get "???" in the label, but I just can´t figure out how to associate it to my proposed profile.

I read you finally did it, cold you help me?

Message 10 of 18

you are almost there. just like beavivil1 stated, first select your label. In the properties, at the top you'll see the properties for the data. Just select it and pick the applicable source. The other way is after you select your label and place it, right click and a menu will come up to select the applicate reference.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 11 of 18
bscott

I've had some users ask me to provide some screen shots of how you go about this, so after a hiatus from the discussion forums, I'm back to post this- hope it helps.  This is done with Civil 3d 2010, so not sure how the newer versions are handling it.

First you need to modify your alignment major and minor alignment labels and/or create new ones to use a Profile Reference Text as part of the label.  We only show majors, so that is all I modified.

Style01.png

Continue with:

Style02.png

Once you have style set up like you like, then you apply the labels to your alignment.  Again, we just show majors, so that is what I showed here.  The KEY here is to follow step one of the picture below.  I'm using Civil 3d 2010, so with that version you have to hold down the control key while you window select all your labels.  Then procede to properties window and change the pulldown to just your individual labels selected.  Pick green box (not shown in pic) and follow prompt in command bar.

AssignProf-01.png

After that, you should see the below result.  Note- if you adjust your profile (drag vpi's, ect), these alignment labels update in real time.

AssignProf-02.png

Hope this helps those that are stuck, especially if you are stuck with the ??? in your labels.  I have read somewhere else where the profile association can get lost or the labels do not update when you edit your profile.  I have yet to experience it, so I'm not sure what to do other than to re-label your alignment.

-Bryan

Bryan_S
Windows 10 Enterprise
Nvidia Quadro M4000
3DConnexion CAD Mouse
Message 12 of 18

Hello, i tried to do the same on 2014 (but for minor stations). I created the new label style, choosing "reference text" and changed his contents to "profile elevation" (as you showed).
All went well until i start doing the second part: when i select the "minor station label group" i'm not able to see the info about "reference text objects", and so i cant do the next steps...anyone can explain me the problable cause? Thanks a lot!

Message 13 of 18

Hi! Welcome to the forums, Patricia!

Are you holding down the CTRL key when selecting the labels? I just tested this in 2014 with minor station labels and it works perfectly.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 14 of 18

i just select objects by picking on then, but without control button pressed and the result was no quit the same... now its working like it should! thanks a lot for your fast and great help!

Message 15 of 18

Hi every body ,

Is there some one to help me to get the Existing ground profile elevation report ?

Regards

Message 16 of 18
Joe-Bouza

If your want is to label every station increments then ref text is the way. If you want is to label Profile Geometry point i.e. HP, LP, PVI, BVC, EVC etc... then you can add that label type to the alignment label set .
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 18
pabloJMHF4

Hey guys can anybody help me add elevations to a alignment. I wanna be able to add whatever elevation to any station on the alignment is it possible?
Message 18 of 18
bscott
in reply to: pabloJMHF4

See posts above you in this thread for a couple different ways to accomplish this.

Bryan_S
Windows 10 Enterprise
Nvidia Quadro M4000
3DConnexion CAD Mouse

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report